Do you think GOT7 would've been more popular if they still stuck to their cute concepts?

• It's pretty sad how GOT7 who used to on top 3 most mentioned kpop groups in the past, to leaving JYP Ent as a whole. "Just Right" is their most successful song and it's a cute concept. It perfectly fit their image imo. But after that they suddenly stopped doing cute concepts and it kinda went downhill. They were still relevant but their songs didn't get any major success as Just Right.

Makes me wonder if they had still stuck with their cute concept, would have they been more successful? People downplay cute concepts and think but from what I've seen, the most successful songs from popular groups tend to have the cute/pop concept. BTS and Twice are the biggest example.

Cute/pop concepts don't show an artist's full potential but they do bring in lots of people into the fandom.

When I first watched Boy With Luv MV, I was like "nice song but wtf is that concept? this isn't gonna show their full potential as a group! they're not gonna be taken seriously in the west". But yeah, we all know how wrong I was. :pepe-clown-gear: [ i'm such a clown. people are taking bts more seriously than they ever could.]

Makes me wonder whether if GOT7 had a song like "Dynamite" or "Boy With Luv", would have they been one of the biggest groups in kpop? maybe not as popular as BTS, but still pretty big.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• I haven't read the thing you have write cuz I am lazy. But I have liked GOT7's earlier songs more. This is my fave song

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Tbh I'm not sure. Regardless, I think they didn't really had much of a choice in which song is the title? I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THIS but I vaguely remember seeing people say that JYPE does not allow them to release some songs they like or choose which songs to be their title track.

GOT7 had a lot of freedom and had a say in their music. It's the complete opposite of what you've just said. I remember GOT7 themselves saying they don't wanna do a cute concept anymore bc they "won't be taken seriously". i forgot to mention this in the op.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• GOT7 had a lot of freedom and had a say in their music. It's the complete opposite of what you've just said. I remember GOT7 themselves saying they don't wanna do a cute concept anymore bc they "won't be taken seriously". i forgot to mention this in the op.

That is what I first thought too. But watch this

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Jyp says no to the songs they have produced and kept interfering.

• GOT7 had a lot of freedom and had a say in their music. It's the complete opposite of what you've just said. I remember GOT7 themselves saying they don't wanna do a cute concept anymore bc they "won't be taken seriously". i forgot to mention this in the op.

I don't think so. They got some control over their b-sides, but their titles tracks is an entire mess. From what I know, JYP had these weird standard for their "sound", so he ended up refusing JB's suggestions real quick, or completely changing them.

I think the members wanted some other songs to be the title track but they all ended up as b-sides. They had creative control and freedom but probably only for B-sides and couldn't really choose what the title tracks would be.

Need the GOT7 fans to shed more light about this.

• That is what I first thought too. But watch this

External Content youtu.be

Jyp says no to the songs they have produced and kept interfering.

still more than other groups. anyways, the thread is about "cute concept". the got7 members never wanted to do cute concept and refused it a lot. and jyp was okay with their decision. that's why I said they had freedom, as they were allowed to not do a concept.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• Nope, they didn't have much freedom. I only know more about Jackson from them. His solo projects are not even kpop and much different from their group releases. Imo he shines more as a soloist to me.

but my thread is about cute concepts, not freedom. got7 members said they didn't wanna a cute concept after just right.

ut this thread is about the group as a whole. Therefore, whatever freedom they got there is not relevant to how they do as a group.

but the members had enough freedom to say "no" to a certain concept.

I think the members wanted some other songs to be the title track but they all ended up as b-sides. They had creative control and freedom but probably only for B-sides and couldn't really choose what the title tracks would be.

Need the GOT7 fans to shed more light about this.

yeah. I think bringing in fans to the conversation would help a lot.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• im not a big fan of their recent music, my favorite song from them is 'you are' and it was a decent hit so maybe the concept change couldve been a reason but also many top boygroups were climbing and somehow outdid got7 ?

either ways jyp sucks and they deserved better, its gotten to the point members had to promote themselves more than the company.

• im not a big fan of their recent music, my favorite song from them is 'you are' and it was a decent hit so maybe the concept change couldve been a reason but also many top boygroups were climbing and somehow outdid got7 ?

either ways jyp sucks and they deserved better, its gotten to the point members had to promote themselves more than the company.

i personally feel like there were a lot of disagreements in terms of music, style and performances, that both sides (JYP, GOT7 members) couldn't deliver what they wanted. I think none were satisfied. :(

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

• I don't think so, actually If you do, hard carry and Never ever worked better in Korea and thats a big reason why they stayed with those concepts. Just right was a more viral song that would work better on SNS etc... One of the problem they had is they lacked promotions and they didn't get any "viral" hit, only good hits that pleased the fandom.

Don't you think if they still followed the cute concept, they could've had a viral song in the end? I mean songs like Just Right would blow up on Tik Tok if it were released today.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!