What is better companies buying license and demos or in house song writers writing the song for the artist?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I Smell some........

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• In terms of actually having a musical identity and any degree of credibility as a creator (as opposed to simply a performer):

Best: Writing your own song.

Second best: Sampling an existing song to create a transformative work.

Third best: Working with the company's in-house composers.

Fourth best: Soliciting a song from external songwriters.

Fifth best: Buying a demo from external songwriters.

Sixth best: Transformatively covering an existing song.

The absolute godamn worst: Making your own version of an already released song with minimal changes.

• It depends on the goals of the agency. You can get a higher quantity of songs if you "outsource". You can get more distinct and higher song quality if you have talented people "in-house".

• It depends on the goals of the agency. You can get a higher quantity of songs if you "outsource". You can get more distinct and higher song quality if you have talented people "in-house".

• I don't see anything wrong with SM or a company buying songs or doing remakes. If the end product is good and sells, it's a business acting like a business.

With that said, you do have to wonder why it took several months after their debut for SM to give Aespa another title track if it's just:

a.) a remake

and

b.) a single

I'd be kind of furious if I were their fan. SM has been planning this group for ages and so far, the direction for them seems kind of confusing at the moment.

Again, this has doesn't mean the song isn't going to be good. I'm fans of groups that have rocked remade/sampled songs. So I'm cool with it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!