Are Academy Awards (Oscars) fair?

• Official Post

I think the technical awards are fair, but I don't put a lot of stock in the acting/best picture side.

• this is based on the Academy members voting decisions, and it can be subjective so we don't know whether it's fair or not, maybe the film i thought weak contender may be the best for some

but i have heard that for animation nomination the members don't watch the movie and instead let their children watch it and go with their choice

and there are so much politics behind it for example people complain that oscar is too white so they are considering more diversity in Oscar recently

i find all the Oscar nominated films are high quality, but some great films even can't secure nomination

and Oscar basically ignores superhero & sci-fi films and favorable to more historical & drama films for me

overall it's not bad and they purposedly make some twist for sure for some nominations

• with current rules change don't think they ever will be fair and square...

Imagine that with current "forced" diversity, how the hell would Parasite get an Oscar if those rules would be set earlier?

of course they could win in international category, yeah, but with new rules they wouldn't win main prize for best movie...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Of course they are not 100% good but they are try to be better every year. All the top categories were given to the most deserving nominees.

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• with current rules change don't think they ever will be fair and square...

Imagine that with current "forced" diversity, how the hell would Parasite get an Oscar if those rules would be set earlier?

of course they could win in international category, yeah, but with new rules they wouldn't win main prize for best movie...

I don't know about that but one thing's for sure, Sam Mendes deserved Best Director award instead of Bong Joon Ho. That seemed way too odd to me considering the technical marvel i.e 1917

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• some part of it, yes

because the main award always get surprising (not talking about that time when parasite won that was actually pretty cool) but sometimes a movie doesn't win any awards and all of a sudden the most important one does? it's... strange, it must have a reason behind it?

also I think only hollywood movies being nominated is annoying, specially nowadays were hollyweird is at it's worst shape let's say, so many other countries make great even greater movies and only get a shot at ONE category, it's just not fair I know they can't put every single movie on it so they maybe could make a pre-oscar? lol or something

about the part I think is fair... hmm I usually agree with the best actors winners! I was so happy when The Joker won for best actor I can't forget how happy it was lmao

but yeah overall oscars are unfair, it has (or had) saving graces

• I don't know about that but one thing's for sure, Sam Mendes deserved Best Director award instead of Bong Joon Ho. That seemed way too odd to me considering the technical marvel i.e 1917

If i remember correctly in Golden Globes & BAFTA Sam Mendes got best director, but in Oscar Bong Joon Ho got it, well that's odd but i am fine with that

but no offense Parasite is great film but i don't think it deserves Best Picture last year's Oscar best picture nominees were damn strong but idk since i am not film expert

• Definitely no, most of the voters don't even watch all of the the movies that got nominated (not to mention watching other eligable movies before nomination )

I recommend watching this, it is a very insightful video about how the oscar works ( it starts at 7:03)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"Did you know 60% of the voters never saw Twelve Years of slave..." It won best picture in 2014 and the majority of the voters didn't even saw it (not saying it didn't deserved it tho)

Edited 2 times, last by Orsy ().

• A few times, Jake Gyllenhaal was considered by many to be snubbed imfor Nightcrawler.

Paul Dano for best supporting for There Will Be Blood was a snub imho.

Nightcrawler was a masterpiece through and through. But, Eddie Redmayne stole the show in The Theory Of Everything. So there's that.

Wait,

was Jake even nominated?

There was no one who could outmatch Javier Bardem for his performance in No Country for Old Men, it was bone-chilling.

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

• No imo. Many actors I feel were robbed and should’ve won their Oscar. Tom Hanks for instance for Cast Away. Russell Crowe for A Beautiful Mind and Nicole Kidman for Moulin Rouge. All were superb performances and should’ve won. I don’t bother with Oscars anymore.

• No imo. Many actors I feel were robbed and should’ve won their Oscar. Tom Hanks for instance for Cast Away. Russell Crowe for A Beautiful Mind and Nicole Kidman for Moulin Rouge. All were superb performances and should’ve won. I don’t bother with Oscars anymore.

Russell Crowe is amazing

I love Pikachu.

"Pika-Pi"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!