True or false, if a group is not big in Korea, then they're not big anywhere else

• False. BTS took off in Korea because they were surprised by their huge fandom internationally. Ateez is kind of benefiting from that too.

Hmm In 2015 'I Need U', managed to enter top 100 Gaon Digital Chart, the only other BG that manage to enter the 2015 digital chart are all big/trendy names in Korea (Bigbang, EXO, Ikon, Shinee). The song also debuted at no #2 on Melon old realtime chart. So I'll prob consider BTS as a B-Tier BG in Korea at least, and thats before they blow up internationally.

• People still downplaying karmy in early BTS debut. Unlike these groups BTS still could chart well on melon

I don't deny that was a factor, in fact I always stuck my nose in to disagree in threads when new Army's would cry that Korea hated BTS and that they were neglected and mocked before an army of Becky's and Lauren's rode to their rescue.

That said, the more time passes the more I'm certain that it was displaced Directioners who were the magical ingredient. They had to take that "We get everything for our boys" power somewhere. And their feud with Exols probably contributed in their massive push of BTS too. It was the one thing Big Hit execs didn't understand which is why they bragged they could make endless globally famous BTS's before it became apparent that they could not. The environment to promote doesn't even exist anymore. It used to be just BTS getting pushed absolutely everywhere which made them a novelty. Now any debuting group has instant devotees nagging endless reaction channels to promote them. The market is way over-saturated. Anyway, I got off-topic.

tldr - Yes, I agree with you

• I mean didn't BTS basically become the super stars they are with the attention they got from their international fandom? And then their music got discovered by more and got bigger.

Also KARA was arguably bigger in Japan than Korea so there's a "top tier" group for anyone asking.

And T-ara kept afloat because of how big they were among their Chinese fans.

~ ω

• I don't deny that was a factor, in fact I always stuck my nose in to disagree in threads when new Army's would cry that Korea hated BTS and that they were neglected and mocked before an army of Becky's and Lauren's rode to their rescue.

That said, the more time passes the more I'm certain that it was displaced Directioners who were the magical ingredient. They had to take that "We get everything for our boys" power somewhere. And their feud with Exols probably contributed in their massive push of BTS too. It was the one thing Big Hit execs didn't understand which is why they bragged they could make endless globally famous BTS's before it became apparent that they could not. The environment to promote doesn't even exist anymore. It used to be just BTS getting pushed absolutely everywhere which made them a novelty. Now any debuting group has instant devotees nagging endless reaction channels to promote them. The market is way over-saturated. Anyway, I got off-topic.

tldr - Yes, I agree with you

Yeah the narrative that “Koreans” hated BTS is a bit misunderstood. It was the kmedia and other kpop fans that were throwing them under the bus. Also their colleagues disrespected them. I don’t think the Korean general public were aware of these things when they were just listening to their songs.

And you didn’t go off topic. You actually said some things I find interesting

• Hmm OP it depends on what you mean by big.

Successful? Definitely don’t have to be successful in only Korea

But big?? It depends on what criteria you’re using I guess

Having a hit song that charts for a long time without a quick turnover rate

Edited once, last by 2techs ().

• False. There are lot of names we know that are not popular in Korea but really well known internationally.

That's also why some companies target western market or Japan market from the beginning.

• Actually, a lot of groups have more international fans than Korean fans.

- Some group that is known internationally, but not Korea

Stray Kids, Got7, Loona, Dreamcatcher, etc...

- Some group that is bigger international than Korea, but still successful in Korea.

BTS - BTS is still very big in Korea, but their international is just bigger than in Korea without a doubt

Blackpink

Itzy

I think there is no need to explain for Blackpink and Itzy. They both are very big internationally and in Korea, but their international is just bigger than domestic.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!