Korean Communications Standards Commission is considering penalising JTBC for spreading false CCTV footage of Suga!!!

• The Korea Communications Standards Commission is considering severe punishment for KBS for airing 'Kimigayo' on Liberation Day.

'Sugar drunk driving video false report' JTBC also 'states opinion'

Seoul = News 1) Reporter Yang Sae-rom = The Korea Communications Standards Commission has decided to 'state the opinions of related parties' on KBS-1TV's 'KBS Broadcasting Seat', which broadcast the opera 'Madame Butterfly' featuring the Japanese national anthem on Liberation Day.

The Broadcasting and Communications Commission held a general meeting at the Mokdong Broadcasting Center in Seoul on the afternoon of the 2nd and decided this with the unanimous consent of all members.

The decisions of the Broadcasting and Communications Commission are divided into 'no problem', 'opinion submission' and 'recommendation' which are administrative guidance stages, and 'caution', 'warning', 'program correction/modification/suspension and disciplinary action against related parties', 'fine' which are legal sanctions. Legal sanctions are grounds for deducting points when re-licensing or re-approving broadcasting companies.

It is known that there is a high possibility of legal sanctions after a general statement of opinion has been made.

Commissioner Kim Jeong-su said, "The broadcasting station in question brought the measures taken after the accident occurred. They said they replaced the second part of (Madame Butterfly) with another program, stopped showing the show again on their website, and posted a statement containing an apology, but there was no mention of follow-up measures." He added, "I think we need to hear the opinions of the production team about how (the broadcast) came to be aired."

Commissioner Kang Kyung-pil also pointed out, "It is clear that a program that ran counter to the public sentiment was aired."

The Broadcasting and Communications Commission also unanimously made the same decision regarding JTBC's 'JTBC Newsroom', which reported incorrect closed-circuit TV (CCTV) footage related to BTS member Suga's drunk driving incident.

The broadcast reported on the 7th of last month that a man was Sugar and showed CCTV footage of him riding an electric scooter down a street, but a police investigation confirmed that the man in the footage was not Sugar.

Commissioner Ryu Hee-rim said in relation to this, "Last year, when we were conducting broadcast deliberation, we imposed legal sanctions on the broadcaster that cited the 'Kim Man-bae-Shin Hak-rim false recording'. We have imposed heavy punishments in similar cases." She added, "Of course, this time, it seems they were greedy, but I think we need to hear the opinions of those involved as to how an unconfirmed video came to be reported as if it were real."

방심위, 광복절에 '기미가요' 방영한 KBS에 중징계 예고
    사실 앞에 겸손한 민영 종합 뉴스통신사
    www.news1.kr

• Man i might start to sound like trump when I see these kinds of fake news being broadcasted.

Like if the cctv was proven wrong, issue an official retraction!! goddamn.

blatantly lying is never a good ethical or reputational thing to do as an information outlet.

• Reminder that JTBC is owned by the Joongang Chaebol group. Like it's newspaper the Joongang Ilbo, it's very conservative and a big proponent of the current South Korean President and his party. In the past their reports lobbied quite obvious against potential military exemption for BTS.

After the previous incident with JTBC in 2019, bighit still played nice with them, with their groups attending JTBC's GDA awards and JTBC broadcasting multiple BTS concerts on their channels. I have a feeling however that might change now. Though of course the Joongang group holds a lot of influence so there's always the scenario that bighit/hybe does not want to exclude them like mbc which is only a public broadcasting company

• Reminder that JTBC is owned by the Joongang Chaebol group. Like it's newspaper the Joongang Ilbo, it's very conservative and a big proponent of the current South Korean President and his party. In the past their reports lobbied quite obvious against potential military exemption for BTS.

After the previous incident with JTBC in 2019, bighit still played nice with them, with their groups attending JTBC's GDA awards and JTBC broadcasting multiple BTS concerts on their channels. I have a feeling however that might change now. Though of course the Joongang group holds a lot of influence so there's always the scenario that bighit/hybe does not want to exclude them like mbc which is only a public broadcasting company

I think it's a specific problem with the show 'Newsroom' because it's the same show which was involved in 2019 too

Probably the PD of the show has some anti-bts sentiments or is motivated by bribes

• I think it's a specific problem with the show 'Newsroom' because it's the same show which was involved in 2019 too

Probably the PD of the show has some anti-bts sentiments or is motivated by bribes

The PD changed since then. The PD at the time was Sohn Suk-hee who also was the anchor (has a big reputation in Korea). He stepped down in December 2019 shortly after the BTS scandal (though has not been reported it was because of that), and later was JTBC's President for some time in 2020. He made his return this year with a show on MBC.

BTS just has an unfortunate position in the korean media landscape in general and beyond. Heck there was even a Korean rail employee who was fired for accessing RM's personal info but quickly got reinstated. I remember a similar issue with BTS's members being followed when they received covid-19 vaccinations, and Jin supposedly had somebody in the military following him too at his doctor's appointments. The 'fairness' argument that people always talk about when it comes to BTS's enlistment or even now with Suga's case is not reciprocated when BTS are the victim of something. Somehow a lot is acceptable then. It's something you see in celebrity culture in general, not just in kpop or with BTS. Shows the limit of all of us in that we demand celebrities to behave in a certain way that we ourselves cannot even adhere to.

• You know what's worse? I still see media articles citing the fake JTBC footage even now after it was proved to be false. And the absolute brain-dead users on theqoo and pan and kpop stans on twitter in general still use the "found lying on the pavement" to excuse being vile towards Yoongi. I'm sorry, but this is too little, too late. Yoongi's reputation has already been dragged through the mud and you can't take back the vitriol he had to face the past few weeks and will keep facing because of the character assassination k-media directly caused.

ead47f74c3dc14bd46149812f2155b77.jpgImage ⁘ 007833105f6b7733cb4d3f8c61fa19ae.jpg3291b57d2612af71f190a448dba0c51c.jpg

• You know what's worse? I still see media articles citing the fake JTBC footage even now after it was proved to be false. And the absolute brain-dead users on theqoo and pan and kpop stans on twitter in general still use the "found lying on the pavement" to excuse being vile towards Yoongi. I'm sorry, but this is too little, too late. Yoongi's reputation has already been dragged through the mud and you can't take back the vitriol he had to face the past few weeks and will keep facing because of the character assassination k-media directly caused.

It's all Suga's fault, this is his punishment.

• False reporting should be heavily punished if not corrected the right way because the public often does not care for the truth they just care for the news. So it is important that reporters stick by the absolute truth when it is available!

On another note: I love Puccini's Madame Butterfly, it is a beautiful opera with a heavy topic regarding the United States colonising behaviour towards Japan and the tragical fate of some japanese women whose heart and life were played with by the american military and rich people in the 19th century, the music is truly emotional and expressive while being complex and being exotic in a good way, but it is truly a bad choice for a korean national day. I can see how it went wrong...

* * * * * * •×• * * * * * *

• The PD changed since then. The PD at the time was Sohn Suk-hee who also was the anchor (has a big reputation in Korea). He stepped down in December 2019 shortly after the BTS scandal (though has not been reported it was because of that), and later was JTBC's President for some time in 2020. He made his return this year with a show on MBC.

BTS just has an unfortunate position in the korean media landscape in general and beyond. Heck there was even a Korean rail employee who was fired for accessing RM's personal info but quickly got reinstated. I remember a similar issue with BTS's members being followed when they received covid-19 vaccinations, and Jin supposedly had somebody in the military following him too at his doctor's appointments. The 'fairness' argument that people always talk about when it comes to BTS's enlistment or even now with Suga's case is not reciprocated when BTS are the victim of something. Somehow a lot is acceptable then. It's something you see in celebrity culture in general, not just in kpop or with BTS. Shows the limit of all of us in that we demand celebrities to behave in a certain way that we ourselves cannot even adhere to.

Spot-on and thanks for articulating what I couldn’t say well

• Broadcasting and Communications Commission, JTBC 'Sugar CCTV False Report' Severe Punishment Notice

Kang Joo-hee2024. 9. 2. 22:09
    Timetalk0Translation Settings
    Adjust the font size
    Print

Photo = JTBCPhoto = JTBC

The Korea Communications Standards Commission has decided to request a statement of opinion from JTBC, which reported incorrect CCTV footage related to BTS member Suga's drunk driving incident. On

the 2nd, the Korea Communications Standards Commission (hereinafter referred to as the KCS) held a general meeting at the Mokdong Broadcast Center in Seoul and unanimously decided to request a statement of opinion from the production team for JTBC's "Newsroom." If the production team's statement of opinion is approved, the production team will attend a subsequent meeting to ask questions and decide on the level of sanctions.

Previously, on the 7th of last month, JTBC's "Newsroom" reported that a person was Suga while broadcasting CCTV footage of a person riding an electric scooter down a street, but the investigation confirmed that the person in the footage was not Suga.

The committee members took a strong stance, saying that it was a clear false report. Chairwoman Ryu Hee-rim said, "Last year, when we reviewed broadcasters who quoted the Kim Man-bae recording, we imposed legal sanctions. Since then, we have been deciding on heavy punishments for using unconfirmed footage." Commissioner Kim Jeong-su also said, “The principle is not to broadcast when it is not confirmed. It is dangerous to predict and report on this.”

Meanwhile, the opinions of production staff are often based on legal sanctions that are applied as a reason for deducting points when re-licensing or re-approving a broadcasting station. This is because the opinion statement process must be completed before deciding on legal sanctions.

Reporter Kang Ju-hee kjh818@edaily.co.kr

방심위, JTBC ‘슈가 CCTV 오보’ 중징계 예고
    방송통신심의위원회가 방탄소년단(BTS) 멤버 슈가의 음주운전 사건 관련 잘못된 CCTV 영상을 보도한 JTBC에 관계자 의견진술을 의결했다. 2일 방송통신심의위원회(이하 방심위)는 서울 목동 방송회관에서 전체회의를 열고 JTBC ‘뉴스룸’에 만장일치로 제작진 의견진술을 의결했다.…
    v.daum.net

• I just read that apparently JTBC were tipped off about the Telegram scandal but they refused to report it. Korean women were even begging people on chinese social media to report it since korean news didn’t want to report it but they were busy instead faking news about Suga. And with everyone now trying to bury the Taeil scandal, I don’t even know what to say.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!