"leading the 4th generation)

• so I'm pretty sure we've established the 4th generation started with the groups that debuted mid-2018 and onwards right?

what I can't help but think is that the new groups are in that 'awkward phase' in terms of being put in a generation or category

e.g. 2nd generation leaders SNSD, TVXQ, BIGBANG, 2NE1, and entering 3rd generation leaders BTS, EXO

but groups like Miss A, VIXX, T-ara, fx (so many more) that were also huge at the time and were meant to be a fresh batch don't have the same impact or success. They may have achieved certain milestones but they're never in the same category as the greats like snsd and bigbang in terms of status

Tbh at this point the top groups are BTS and Blackpink by a LANDSLIDE (internationally and domestically), yes we're in the new generation and they're doing well but they're not even close to touching the achievements of their seniors, yes they still have more time to prove themselves but really think. BTS, BP, Twice have such strong fanbases and aren't going anywhere yet, by the time they truly run their course, there'll be a whole new batch of groups for a whole other target audience.

Agree or disagree?

• Kind agree. That's why I said many times how groups who debuted before 2020 was in an "awkward" position. They kind feel like generation 3.5 for me.

Idols born between 92-95 are about to go in army so the "swift" could start only at this time. It means it could happen in end 2021 until 2023. At this time, groups who debuted in 2018 will look kind "old" for these new fans (those who don't want catch up all old stuff). Groups who debuted in 2020-2021 will probably be less awkward but well... Not meaning nobody will go for these groups though. I mean people still join BTS, EXO or SVT groups right now. Let's not forget that the fact that not a lot new groups try to aims their korean fanbase isn't helping. Agency are too rushed to aims the Global market and ship their group Intl when their fanbase is still weak yet they forgot that all groups who ended in top was top in korea for a while before really aims intl... (In a sense, covid helped since some new groups was forced to release new music and promote only in Korea)

I still feel like we can start to see the power of a groups after 2 years. Most of big BG of gen3 got their "hit" after 2 years and only rise after it. Only time will say us what will happen though.

Edit: Just to said, we can't say for sure the future. After all SVT is 3rd best BG right now but debuted kind "late" in gen3 compared to EXO or BTS. BP is first despite debuting last among top3 of top GG of now.

Treasure - ZB1

f02e618cd7bbbd88c9242e0ee12c5fe9.gif

Edited once, last by waitingdb5k ().

• this happens a lot with generational shifts actually. my dad listens to 80s on 80, which plays the top 40 for that week from a year in the 80s. the year 1980 isn't when 80s pop music became what we think of it as. it's primarily ballads and leftover disco. there are a few classics from the 80-82 era people still remember (like funkytown) but overall it's been lost to history.

1601860532-20201004-suhyun.jpg~proudly presented by a humble humanoid commenter~

• I don't get it. People are saying "leading the 4th generation", meaning whichever group they're speaking about is the best one among the groups in the 4th generation. They're not claiming they're leading every single generation and are above the groups you mentioned.

And saying that term about current groups is completely fine. FOR NOW, __ group is leading the 4th generation according to someone. Their opinion might change but now, among all the other groups, they're the leaders. It's simple

• I guess everyone’s opinion of who belongs to which generation is a little bit different but BTS, BP, Twice, RV, Exo, SVT, NCT are still very much relevant in their generation and not going anywhere for awhile.

I don’t know if we’ll ever see another kpop group that can achieve the success BTS and BP have internationally. It may not be possible, but hey I never thought BTS would get this big so who knows..

Anyways, I am kinda starting to see a glimpse of the “new generation” of groups, especially girl groups, on the way to being extremely successful. G-idle’s last comeback charted inside the top ten in Melon, ITZY’s comeback I believe is at #10 on melon right now, Aespa are soaring through the charts with Next level already in the top 20’s and rising, and StayC have had such organic growth and I believe they are currently in the top 20’s or 30’s on Melon. As for boy groups, well none of them really chart well, but they are selling albums like crazy. I gotta give props to NCT Dream though, I believe their the best charting and selling male group apart from BTS since the melon reform..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!