"Most popular Korean singers in the US by 2024 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Overseas Korean Wave Status Survey taken by around 12.5k local citizens aged 15 to 59

• Jasmine_Waters

Changed the title of the thread from “"Most popular Korean singers in the US by 2024 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Overseas Korean Wave Status Survey taken by around 12.5k local citizens aged 15 to 59 from people who have heard of K-pop but not necessarily fans"” to “"Most popular Korean singers in the US by 2024 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Overseas Korean Wave Status Survey taken by around 12.5k local citizens aged 15 to 59 from people”.
  • Jasmine_Waters

Changed the title of the thread from “"Most popular Korean singers in the US by 2024 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Overseas Korean Wave Status Survey taken by around 12.5k local citizens aged 15 to 59 from people” to “"Most popular Korean singers in the US by 2024 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism Overseas Korean Wave Status Survey taken by around 12.5k local citizens aged 15 to 59”.
  • Speaking as someone who is thisclose to aging out of this survey, most of the problem with this survey is that, as far as I know, most people ages 40-59 aren't familiar with Kpop (I have to explain its existence to people even younger than that). Once it's explained, most of them won't be familiar with anything but Gangnam Style.

It's easy for Americans to find their musical niche and settle into it, as there are plenty of radio and TV stations that segregate themselves by genre. This is why, for example, people were so uncomfortable with Beyonce singing country.

• Speaking as someone who is thisclose to aging out of this survey, most of the problem with this survey is that, as far as I know, most people ages 40-59 aren't familiar with Kpop (I have to explain its existence to people even younger than that). Once it's explained, most of them won't be familiar with anything but Gangnam Style.

It's easy for Americans to find their musical niche and settle into it, as there are plenty of radio and TV stations that segregate themselves by genre. This is why, for example, people were so uncomfortable with Beyonce singing country.

There are plenty of older ppl that are part of some KPOP fandoms and I know within ARMY, there are plenty of 30+, 40+ all the way up to the 70’s etc. they are also on YT making BTS and KPOP videos too.

• There are plenty of older ppl that are part of some KPOP fandoms and I know within ARMY, there are plenty of 30+, 40+ all the way up to the 70’s etc. they are also on YT making BTS and KPOP videos too.

That's why I said *most* Americans over the age of 40. I'm using my own frame of reference as an Inpsyder/Neverland, so I don't know any ARMY in my area. Most of my friends either listen to oldies or aren't interested in music at all.

• Its a yearly survery done by the korean tourism board every year on people arriving in korea, not kpop fans specifically and people answer with the top 3 artists that comes to mind. Not sure why people are surprised by the result, makes perfect sense imo. It also lines up pretty much with previous years result as well.

Theres a top list for every country included in the survey and a global one for all. The one in the op is for USA only.

5. IU

No need. This list has IU on it, therefore it is clearly fake.

IU is always on this survey and also ranks top 10 on youtube and google search consistently (globally), so not sure why thats surprising. Most people somewhat familiar with korean media be it music or dramas will have know of IU even they dont listen to her or know more than a song or two. Shes been active for 17 years, only gdragon and psy on this list have been going at it for longer.

• It's a popularity poll, not a "I've heard of this person" poll.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!