Going beyond Eurovision - discovering the artists

• I looked if there was a similar thread but I don't think so, so here it goes!
    After the dust has settled a bit from last week's Grand Finale (and in case you haven't had enough), I'm interested in going beyond the entry songs for the contest and discover the artists' discographies, past and present editions welcome.
    My personal faves in 2024 were Armenia, Estonia, Austria, and the Netherlands, so I will be looking into what else they have released. In the meantime, I found out that Nemo (the Swiss 2024 winner) not only has their regular Spotify profile but also one for their Swiss-German songs! They are in an upbeat rap style that I enjoy a lot. I have liked the entire EP from 2017 so far but this track also has an MV:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm excited to discover more about the artists and will update this thread whenever I do. :cheer-bunny:
    Please share if you have found songs you like due to the artist participating at the ESC or if not, you can use this opportunity to go on a discovery journey with me! :send-love-bunny:

• External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This Greek queen dropped AOTY like it's nothing

• External Content open.spotify.com

This Greek queen dropped AOTY like it's nothing

I just finished listening to it and TUCUTUM and LALALALA are my favorite tracks! There is a bit in LAx4 where the background singers sound like they're saying "ey oppa!", which made me giggle :smirks2:
    It's honestly smart to release new music now when there is still a chance of people checking out the artists after they left an impression at the ESC. Others probably also already have, I only have to get around to checking their profiles.

• It's honestly smart to release new music now when there is still a chance of people checking out the artists after they left an impression at the ESC. Others probably also already have, I only have to get around to checking their profiles.

Angelina Mango has a single out next week, she announced it 2 days ago! She timed it well.

External Content x.com

(also new album on May 31st)

And Joost has a European tour for 2025, tickets went on sale this week. I had no idea about this until I saw it in a Ticketmaster.de newsletter email I got. Thankfully I saw it just in time and bought a ticket for his show in my city. :starryeyes-pepe:

• So exciting! I'm going to check if he's coming to my area as well :hype-cutie: Ladaniva for Armenia is already on tour for different festivals in France and will also be going to Germany.

• I listened to Ladaniva's most recent album today. She sings a couple of songs in French!

Overall, it's a bit too slow for me and I don't listen to a lot of folk music but here are my faves from the album:

External Content open.spotify.com

• dasirunrun I did like the entry from Denmark 2023 but welp, people had a lot to say when Denmark didn't made it out of the semi finals back then. I remember people said a bit rude stuff like he was too feminin, to quirky, to Gen Z, etc. and some just said he was annoying

External Content www.youtube.com

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• dasirunrun not an ESC-apearing artist, but you know every country has a show where a few people who auditioned participate against eachother in hope to be taken as representative for their country in a year to join ESC for them and in 2014 Germany was 🤏so close to send a sea shanty band.

However in this year the production team had a malfunction with the televote and many votes didn't came trought and instead a man won, who than had enough and said he gives it to the most boring act of the day instead (wich was the female band Elaiza) and only weeks later when the ESC had finished it came out that this should'nt have happend in the first place, because 80% of the votes didn't got trought in the televote at the end and that most of the televote went to the sea shanty band. It was too late at that point to change things so yeah ...

But I personaly think we could've so many potential back then, if we had send the sea shanty band tho

I'm leaving you some of their songs

• I know Santiano! I've come across them before and have Tanz Mit Mir saved on my Spotify

I had no idea about the televote misshap though, that's infuriating. Plus, sea shanties get people going. Wellerman blew up not that long ago.

I hope Germany will bring a different sound again soon. Another user said that it could be possible that the public choice will come back? I think that increases the probability for less safe choices to make it and stand out.

• Speaking of sea shanties, although only tangentially related, I'd like to bring up the runner-up for the 2003 ESC Urban Trad. Their song still bops I think:

They entered for Belgium but are singing in a made-up language 😄 They released a few albums and their last single was in 2014, so they don't seem to be active anymore.

• dasirunrun I did like the entry from Denmark 2023 but welp, people had a lot to say when Denmark didn't made it out of the semi finals back then. I remember people said a bit rude stuff like he was too feminin, to quirky, to Gen Z, etc. and some just said he was annoying

Well... the last thing that he has released since Breaking My Heart is this:

and fun fact: on Faroese TV, they sometimes show the Breaking My Heart music video in commercial breaks. (or at least sometimes they show music videos by Faroese artists.)

• I hope Germany will bring a different sound again soon. Another user said that it could be possible that the public choice will come back? I think that increases the probability for less safe choices to make it and stand out.

Actually in some cases I'm glad the public did either not vote or when we voted we voted a saver option. 2023 when we voted via TikTok, there was 1 very controversial option called Ike Hüftgold, he did the so called "Ballermannschlager" style of music and it was a very bad song. he sung "we need a song without drugs a song without sex, we finally need a song with good lyrics" but the song was so bad and at the end everyone who didn't vote for him was happy that he didn't represented Germany since he is rascist and did release shit music only.

But in years where we could've send good options its often the national TV who is hindering the artists. In 2022 the band Electric Callboy for example was told they are not "suitable for the radio" as a criteria to be chosen for the ESC and so half of Germany got mad and posted on YT in videos why they can't belive that this world famous band was denied.

Some songs in case you don't know them:

And you know how badly Germany scored at the end in 2023 when we had a lot freedom to chose. Germans: "We send a metal band! They will love it!" Europe: "We do not like what Germany sended this year" oh well as usualy.

BTW this was every "allowed" artist we could've voted for in 2023 in case you didn't knew what else we had as a potentional act for the year.

But Germany also managed to blame themself without only being boring if the "generic and radio friendly" song existed as "best choice". The national TV thought in 2016 to send the winner of the year's The Voice ... and at the end we got a very boring and generic song by a girl who is a Weeb and Korea/boo. I mean when she von on The Voice and was on ESC in 2016, she later on randomly poped up on my recommendations in YT a few times and I was annoyed how she used her "bit of fame" from these 2 events to annoy people by braging on her on Youtube channel how she met a KPop group once and singing covers of Korean songs. Yeah no

• JiminieKookie ew yeah I've heard of Ike Hüftgold, not the specific controversies but enough to not want him represent a nation.

I will check out the band!

It's definitely hard to find a selection system that works. And it's difficult to predict what the audience will like that year.

That 2016 participant does sound annoying lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!