There are a lot of kpop songs called Deja Vu

• or mention the word "déjà vu" in a song.

But they all pronounce it incorrectly.

Or at least not like how it is pronounced in French.

Maybe because in English-speaking media, they also mispronounce that word.

"vu" is not pronounced like "woo" (or I hear them often pronounce it like "boo", but I kinda know why they do)

I don't know how to explain how it is pronounced.

Well... I'm not French (and also don't speak it fluently), but I know how words like "jaloux" and "déjà vu" is pronounced because those words are also used in the Danish language for some reason. And the way that Danes pronounce these words is like how French people pronounce it.

But well... I can't "complain" about kpop artists mispronouncing a French word, because I have problems pronouncing some Korean words.

And I also have problems pronouncing a lot of French words.

• as a french person déjà vu isn't common as an expression so deja vu used here is the english expression that used french words to talk about feeling like you've already heard or seen something. Which, to me, explains why they pronounce it with an english accent (that + the importance of english and the phonem "ü" that might be too hard to pronounce or just doesn't go with the song's flow)

We mostly use these words next to each other in a normal phrase like "I have already seen"/ "J'ai déjà vu" :)

• Loanwords take on the pronunciation of the language that they're borrowed into, and this pronunciation is considered to be correct within the borrowing language, even if it differs from the original pronunciation. The pronunciation used in k-pop songs is typically meant to be English and not French, even though the Korean borrowing actually emulates the French pronunciation (데자뷰/dejabyu) :pepe-notes:

Stan TXT for English deja vu pronunciation :pepe-notes:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Loanwords become the word of the new language as well

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Many if not most English words used to come from elsewhere. I don't think we should still pronounce them the Latin, Danish, Dutch, Norman-French* way.

Amongst many other languages.

Anyway, thanks for making this thread anyway, because it reminded me of one of my favorite Kpop songs.

• I wanted to post this song. :rant-bee:

• She has so much power she even got Dreamcatcher to copy her two years BEFORE she released her Deja Vu!

and then there is SS501, who copied her 13 years before she released hers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!