Which genre you prefer in Kpop?

• Do you think if a song isn't catchy, it's a flop? 9

1. No! (8) 89%
    2. Yes! (1) 11%

Kpop is technically a genre itself, but my question is about other genres used in Kpop. Like: Jazz, RnB, Pop, Dance etc. I read some interesting debates on social media, sadly that's part of my job, that's why I read a lot of toxic comments, but I read an interesting take on Kpop songs and why most of them aren't popular.

So here's the question, and be honest! Which genre do you prefer in Kpop? - Answer in the comments!

Do you think if a song isn't catchy, it's a flop?

I love every genre, except techno and other genre like that. In this case, FLOP means not CHARTING in the TOP10! There's no reason to talk about personal taste, because it's different for everyone. For example, I love ballads, but most Kpop fans, love the typical dance Kpop songs.

Here's two example, one was a huge hit and the other wasn't.

MAMAMOO's Wind Flower is probably the best example when a group releases a fantastic song, but wasn't a success as it should've been!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And there's this song, that was a mega hit, all around the world!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I choose these songs, because it represents diversity in Kpop, also I don't want to compare songs from different groups, because this isn't about that.

Wind Flower isn't a catchy song, but it's a nice RnB (almost like a ballad) feelgood song, and Egotistic with its Latin and a bit of reggaeton influence.

Do you think the era of "catchy dance songs" will end eventually? Eras changing in Kpop too. There were times when ballads ruled the charts, or RnB, Hip Hop songs, even trot, and now, it's dance songs again. Do you think it's good to ignore songs that aren't in the TOP10 or in the Charts at all and call them flops? I've seen a LOT of people saying, they only care about TOP10 songs, and everything else is basically a flop, or bad. That's why I opened this thread.

• I don't care if it's upbeat or a sad ballad I will enjoy it.

Same, I just want good music with meaningful lyrics.

i haven't heard a catchy kpop song in weeks

I didn't hear every song that was released so far, but Moonbyul's "Think about" is probably the only real "catchy" song, but not in a typical way. Maybe IU's song with Hyein and Joe Won Sun could the first, but I'm not sure if it's going to be an upbeat song.

• Depends on my mood. If I am hyped up, I want party noise music. If I am down, I want soft ballad or rock ballad would do :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

That's actually a good answer, but for me is like total opposite. When I have a shit day, I want to listen to an upbeat song.

But there are moments when I listen to songs like Hwasa - LMM and I just want to jump from a cliff.🤣

• I love music for almost 30 years, but I don't think I've ever heard about this genre. 🤣

It's what people who've never lived through the 70s-80s expects the music to have sounded like

Very relaxing and mind numbing

External Content youtu.be

BLACKPINK☘︎JESSICA☘︎NEWJEANS☘︎SEJEONG☘︎THE ROSE☘︎TWICE☘︎YERIN BAEK☘︎YUKIKA

47884d995b21786891bbe8c89d889d7abbd157e5.webp

Dont you know how sweet it tastes now that Im without you

• It's what people who've never lived through the 70s-80s expects the music to have sounded like

Very relaxing and mind numbing

External Content youtu.be

Woah, this feels like my childhood, actually. Almost fell asleep, tho. 😅 Nostalgic and relaxing for sure.

Whatever genre this is

I love this! This is like an indie, folk music. I'm listening to a lot of songs like this. Indie and folk is pretty much one of my favorite genre, because it's calming and sound nice, and feelgood.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!