What would you consider an ideal release interval for a top girl group?

• Depends on the reception of their last comeback

If the comeback smashed 9 to 10 months, but even more is acceptable

If the comeback did fine/as expected around 6 to 7 months

If the comeback bombed as soon as possible, 3 months If possible

If your last comeback had multiple promoted releases/singles start counting since the release of the last promoted single

• Is the first one NewJeans?

Two comebacks per year seems fair, especially if you're also touring. But I'd still like to see groups release full albums more often, maybe once every other year.

I was actually juxtaposing Twice and BlackPink. I've seen criticism of how both released music during their peak years in Korea.

Some people thought Twice released too much music too quickly, and we all know the frequent complaints about BP not releasing enough music.

Two of my best friends are both Onces and Blinks, and started out as being bigger Blinks, but the slow release schedule of BP turned them into bigger Twice fans by a pretty good margin. They're the reason I keep getting dragged to Twice concerts actually (and one BP concert).

• depends on the group but

for a newer group slightly increased frequency of releases is better to keep the group's name out there

so like for rookies maybe 6 months

but for more established groups especially top groups they can have slightly less frequent releases (say 9 to 15 months)

the reason I say that for top groups is that individual members of top groups can do their own thing in between such group releases and that could be solo music by one (or more of the members)

• I don't understand getting sick of comebacks. I'd love many comebacks. I always figured they took so long because they needed time to prepare or didn't wanna overwork them

• 3 distinct promotion periods a year in the first 4 years. Whether that’s an album/mini/single isn’t as important.

Beyond that it should be at the comfort of the artists… hits are gonna be harder and they’ve already amassed a fanbase at that point that less actually becomes more. 1 or 2 comebacks is sufficient to tour big while being relevant as well.

• I guess a good question would be if BlackPink would be as successful in 4th gen if they used the same release timing strategy they relied on during 3rd gen?

That all depends on how many GG groups YG have. Big3 idol comes from extreme privilege. How many groups do you know that release once or twice a year or even once every 2 years. Probably alot of nugus or even mid tiers, how come they aren't as popular?

When BP aren't releasing songs, they are on brand deals, ambassadors, and events. Their face is plastered all over. They aren't having a 'comeback', but they never left either because they are in the news. No mid-tier and below can even afford their artists to be on those events and shows. If BP was actually in a mid-tier company, they release 1 comeback per year, and does not do any brand deals, can anyone confidently enough to say they will be the biggest international GG during 3rd gen?

If YG have Baemon and Teddy new GG debuting 2-3 years ahead of BP, and BP becomes the 3rd GG in YG, I don't think they'll be as big as they are now. Too many competitors and heavy hitters. Jokes and memes can be made now about who's the hottest or who can sellout and what not, but you got IVE, LSSF, NJ, NMIXX, GIDLE, and then many more. Would BP have survived? Yeah, would they have been as popular? No.

People keep saying slower release will make the public more interest in them and not tired them out. If I do a quick Google search, I can probably identify a handful of groups that don't have frequent comeback. This method only works because you're in YG; connections, deals, features, all of the goods. Worst sales from a big3 group is probably someone else's biggest sales.

The resource given to BP is abundant. Fans aren't split and undecided. They have no one in YG but BP.

SME; red velvet, aespa

JYPe; Twice, Itzy and now Nmixx

YG; BP for all 7 years

Baemon is a good example of if BP debuted during 4th gen.

---======---

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!