"Kōhaku Uta Gassen" Unveils 2023 Lineup

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

RED TEAM

• Aimyon (5)
    • Atarashii Gakkō! (debut)
    • Ado (debut)
    • ano (debut)
    • Sayuri Ishikawa (46)
    • Ran Ito (debut)
    • Fuyumi Sakamoto (35)
    • Sakurazaka46 (3)
    • Ringo Sheena (8)
    • JUJU (2)
    • Superfly (7)
    • Yoshimi Tendo (28)
    • NiziU (4)
    • Nogizaka46 (9)
    • Perfume (16)
    • MISIA (8)
    • Kaori Mizumori (21)
    • milet (4)
    • YOASOBI (3)
    • Ryoku Oushoku Shakai (2)
    • LE SSERAFIM (2)

WHITE TEAM

• Elephant Kashimashi (2)
    • Yo Oizumi (debut)
    • Official HiGE DANdism (4)
    • Tatsuya Kitani (debut)
    • Hiromi Gō (36)
    • Masashi Sada (22)
    • JO1 (2)
    • Junretsu (6)
    • Masayuki Suzuki (6)
    • Strawberry Prince (debut)
    • Stray Kids (debut)
    • SEVENTEEN (debut)
    • 10-FEET (debut)
    • BE:FIRST (2)
    • Masaharu Fukuyama (16)
    • Fumiya Fujii (6)
    • Gen Hoshino (9)
    • MAN WITH A MISSION (debut)
    • Mrs. Green Apple (debut)
    • Hiroshi Miyama (9)
    • Keisuke Yamauchi (9)
    • YUZU (14)

lots of good artists in the line up

personally i'm really happy to see ano's name there, i have been following her since her days at YOU'LL MELT MORE so a little more than half a decade already, i always knew that it was a matter of time until people started noticing her stuff but even then it has been crazy to see how in more or less 1 year she is already among the top artists in Japan

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

also it has been pointed that no artists from Johnny's / Smile Up were invited this year, i don't follow those groups so i wonder, are NHK trying to distance themselves from the controversy or do you think it's because the company doesn't has the same influence as before? if it's the former it would be a dumb way to "punish" them

• the list is from here

seems they didn't list "MISAMO"

i'm too fucking lazy to check the full list to see if they forgot other acts

also it's Ado's first time being invited

ano and Ado are on the same team! it would have been cool if they also invited Ako, maybe next year

• She's indeed an interesting (fushigi) character. No doubt variety show exposure has done wonders for her career. Too bad this aspect is lost in translation.

External Content www.youtube.com

• She's indeed an interesting (fushigi) character. No doubt variety show exposure has done wonders for her career. Too bad this aspect is lost in translation.

External Content www.youtube.com

for a while she was better known for being a TV personality than a singer!

ano is "strange" but that's part of her charm, i recall that she said in an interview that before entering the music world she was a hikikomori and that she decided to start doing music on a hunch, she is basically an outsider that somehow ended in the idol scene, pretty interesting backstory

worth mention that her ano persona while based on her real personality is done in a more exaggerated way, it does seem that it sometimes goes over people's heads to the point i noticed that even some Japanese people don't really get what she's doing

anyway i'm happy for her

• also it has been pointed that no artists from Johnny's / Smile Up were invited this year, i don't follow those groups so i wonder, are NHK trying to distance themselves from the controversy or do you think it's because the company doesn't has the same influence as before? if it's the former it would be a dumb way to "punish" them

I doubt it is because their new companies don't have clout.

Their sales alone give them the clout regardless of their actual companies.

Snowman, King & Prince, or all of their currently active groups are still immensely popular.

I think it is like you said NHK distancing themselves from the scandal. Very natural way to do things historically in Japan. It could also be the groups or their companies themselves. They want to distance themselves from the general public and let things die down for a while before going in the public eye away from their own fandom that they have already built.

• I doubt it is because their new companies don't have clout.

Their sales alone give them the clout regardless of their actual companies.

Snowman, King & Prince, or all of their currently active groups are still immensely popular.

I think it is like you said NHK distancing themselves from the scandal. Very natural way to do things historically in Japan. It could also be the groups or their companies themselves. They want to distance themselves from the general public and let things die down for a while before going in the public eye away from their own fandom that they have already built.

Update. It was reported on NHK's website that per NHK rules that it will not issue new contracts with a company (Smile Up which is Johnyy's new name) unless it has competed all compensation to victims of their comanies actions. In other words there will NOT be any Johnny and Associates groups appearing on any NHK broadcast until that has been proven to NHK executives.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!