Seven's producers talk about how the song was made and how Scooter suggested JK's name for the song saying that "this could be the biggest song in the world if Jung Kook sings it".

• The Producers Of Jung Kook’s ‘Seven’ Share The Behind-The-Scenes Story Of The No. 1 Smash

The No. 1 song in America this week is Jung Kook’s “Seven” as the track, labeled as the debut solo offering from the BTS singer, debuted atop the Hot 100 about a week ago. It marks the star’s first leader on his own and his seventh champion overall. It is a historic ruler, as he’s only the second South Korean solo musician to reach the summit. And he didn’t get there alone.

Just hours after “Seven” was announced as not only the No. 1 song in America but also the world, I spoke with both Andrew Watt and Cirkut, the producers of the smash and two of the five writers alongside Jon Bellion, Theron Thomas, and rapper and featured artist Latto. Unsurprisingly, they were thrilled with the instant success of the single.

“It feels amazing, man,” Watt commented during the interview, adding, “It never gets old.” Cirkut was also humbled by the widespread appeal of the tune, saying, “I feel very blessed and grateful.” Watt and Cirkut have an impressive track record of writing top 10 hit singles, and "Seven" appears to be Cirkut’s tenth song to hit No. 1 on the Hot 100, as he’s reached the summit alongside Kesha, Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus. Watt, too, has had a hand in writing and producing chart-toppers for various artists such as Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello and Justin Bieber.

The two producers and songwriters admitted that while “Seven” had only been out for a little over a week, it was not new to them. The music was actually created more than a year ago when Watt and Cirkut came together for the first time to work.

After the music was made, based on U.K. garage influences that Watt and Cirkut were enjoying at the time, it was handed off to two of the other songwriters. Bellion and Thomas wrote lyrics separately, and then they "collaged it together," according to Cirkut, creating the now-massive track. “[We] picked out the best parts of each and created something out of it,” he admitted. Once the lyrics and music were completed, they all played it for their teams, and Jung Kook's name came up.

“Scooter was the one that actually said this could be the biggest song in the world if Jung Kook sings it,” Grammy winner Watt explained when asked how “Seven” found its way to the BTS star. He is referring to Scoot Braun, the music industry mogul who is now the CEO of Hybe America, which counts Jung Kook as one of its artists. The song was sent to the team at the label, and everyone loved it, including the BTS star himself.

While it took at least a year for “Seven” to exist in its simplest form, once it was decided that it would go to Jung Kook, things moved fast. He flew to LA to record his vocals with Watt and Cirkut, and his part was done only about a month ago. Both producers were aware of Jung Kook's success with BTS, but they were still blown away by what he delivered in the studio.

“He is one of the biggest stars I've ever met,” Watt admitted, adding, “He's got so much swag, and he's so cool, down to earth, and respectful.” Cirkut echoed those compliments, calling the Grammy-nominated star “super sweet and super talented and humble.”

Recording “Seven” apparently went smoothly, despite a potential language barrier. Jung Kook's first language isn’t English, but that didn’t hinder the trio from creating something great. During their time together, “We weren't able to really say that much to each other in conversation, but through music we were having a full-on dialogue,” Watt shared.

Once “Seven” arrived, it was met with critical applause and intense interest from fans all around the world. It shot to the top of the Spotify global chart and stayed there, eventually reaching the No. 1 spot on Billboard’s Global 200 chart. This kind of attention was not new to Jung Kook or the millions of fans of his work and BTS, as the musicians have become accustomed to breaking records and rising to the top whenever they drop something new. But it was still shocking to the behind-the-scenes talents.

“The fan base is absolutely rabid,” Cirkut said about the reception from the singer’s followers, as well as the onslaught of comments and tags he’s received from them on social media. “It's amazing how fans of BTS and Jung Kook are just so supportive and loyal. It's just pretty crazy.” About the listeners, Watt said, simply, “There's not many fan bases like the BTS fan base.”

Now, following “Seven” debuting at No. 1 on various charts, Jung Kook is not just a member of the biggest band in the world but a hitmaker in his own right. And this sits very well with the producers who had a hand in his current globe-dominating success. “It's similar to Justin Timberlake breaking out of NSync,” Watt stated, comparing the two boy bands and the talents that emerged from them. He went on to call Jung Kook “so kind and respectful and sweet and such a hard worker” before finishing his thought by saying, “And he's a superstar, and he's now an American superstar, which is incredible.”

• paradis

Changed the title of the thread from “Seven producers talk about how the song was made and how Scooter suggested JK's name for the song saying that "this could be the biggest song in the world if Jung Kook sings it".” to “Seven's producers talk about how the song was made and how Scooter suggested JK's name for the song saying that "this could be the biggest song in the world if Jung Kook sings it".”.
  • Not a fan of coloring it like this, but hey

Charlie Puth made the same parallel of JK and JT after LnR release but its also cause Americans do not understand how Kpop bgs work and can manage both solo and group together. For them a hiatus is like a 1D one which results in no reunion.

• Not a fan of coloring it like this, but hey

People always have this notion that only 1 member from a group will succeed as a solo artist.

After the release of Seven, a lot of articles published by the media are pitting the BTS members against each other.

• People always have this notion that only 1 member from a group will succeed as a solo artist.

After the release of Seven, a lot of articles published by the media are pitting the BTS members against each other.

Tbh CNN did that after LC too....we are already seeing even some in Kmedia pre Tae's album release. It is typical clickbait

• Charlie Puth made the same parallel of JK and JT after LnR release but its also cause Americans do not understand how Kpop bgs work and can manage both solo and group together. For them a hiatus is like a 1D one which results in no reunion.

I really hate that its that way, but it is what it is. Still don't have to like it. Guess they'll be that much more blown away when they get back together.

• People always have this notion that only 1 member from a group will succeed as a solo artist.

This is also true and it blows. Someone asked me how "that other member" felt cause JK was so popular. I irrationally wanted to backhand them for a second and then I shrugged and explained its not like that. Thankfully they asked me what it was like sincerely cause if they had said it with mocking, violence might have ensued in the form of me holding myself back and quietly yelling at myself to back away.

• This is also true and it blows. Someone asked me how "that other member" felt cause JK was so popular. I irrationally wanted to backhand them for a second and then I shrugged and explained its not like that. Thankfully they asked me what it was like sincerely cause if they had said it with mocking, violence might have ensued in the form of me holding myself back and quietly yelling at myself to back away.

I could see where they were coming from. We had Beyonce, JT, Harry Styles, etc.

"that other member"? Who are they referring to?
    The members have been supportive of Jung Kook...

I guess it's good that they asked you nicely about it.

• I really hate that its that way, but it is what it is. Still don't have to like it. Guess they'll be that much more blown away when they get back together.

BTS is something unprecedented and they have no reference point or parallels to Bangtan. They cannot comprehend the possibility of more than 1 successful member solo much less of a successful group resuming activity after hiatus.

• Ngl, I'm worried about SB and his manipulative ass. I could swear he was eyeing for JK since 2019.

Justin and ariana seem to be ok with him so I am not gonna be paranoid about him just cause of the Taylor drama. She was never his artist in the first place and its her ex-manager Scott, who effed her up first.

Also his involvement may be limited to A&R for Jk and not every small aspect. Jk is not officially signed to Hybe America or Scooter after all.

• Justin and ariana seem to be ok with him so I am not gonna be paranoid about him just cause of the Taylor drama. She was never his artist in the first place and its her ex-manager Scott, who effed her up first.

Also his involvement may be limited to A&R for Jk and not every small aspect. Jk is not officially signed to Hybe America or Scooter after all.

Oh well. Hopefully, you're right.
    It's a good thing they only have distribution deals in the USA.

• Did you tell them Jimin was with JK through the whole release period in US and was the first to post about his 1 on insta

Yes, but it was weird. They're also kinda political and got caught up in that whole bag of worms. He knows I like BTS and because of that, when Jimin made the HOT 100, he told me congrats. But yea he was fired up that JK beat that racist, blah blah. Like JK even knew.

• Yes, but it was weird. They're also kinda political and got caught up in that whole bag of worms. He knows I like BTS and because of that, when Jimin made the HOT 100, he told me congrats. But yea he was fired up that JK beat that racist, blah blah. Like JK even knew.

I did not know Hot 100 number 1 was such a mainstream discussion topic in US and that gp is actually keeping up with the members like that.

• I did not know Hot 100 number 1 was such a mainstream discussion topic in US and that gp is actually keeping up with the members like that.

I mean it's not a regular topic, but not uncommon either. I work with him and he both knows who BTS is and that I like them. I'm not the only ARMY in the office at that and we're all friendly, have lunch together sometimes, though the teams he and I work on work more closely together etc. Since he likes mainstream artists too like Taylor Swift, we occasionally talk about the industry.

• I've been seen others say this as well when Jungkook opened up about striking on his own and wanting to be a global popstar...

He never said anything about striking on his own though, as in it is a solo era and they all are doing the same. Him wanting to be a giant pop star though may rub some the wrong way but he at the same time does talk about the group being back with better synergy.

• “He is one of the biggest stars I've ever met,” Watt admitted, adding, “He's got so much swag, and he's so cool, down to earth, and respectful.” Cirkut echoed those compliments, calling the Grammy-nominated star “super sweet and super talented and humble.”

“so kind and respectful and sweet and such a hard worker”

My JK praises kink :teddy-pepe:

before finishing his thought by saying, “And he's a superstar, and he's now an American superstar, which is incredible.”

I am confused, American superstar?? :pepe-just-smile:

• He never said anything about striking on his own though, as in it is a solo era and they all are doing the same. Him wanting to be a giant pop star though may rub some the wrong way but he at the same time does talk about the group being back with better synergy.

I guess people could take it the wrong way with how straightforward/direct he is.

• I've been seen others say this as well when Jungkook opened up about striking on his own and wanting to be a global popstar...

That's his solo ambition which is cool, everyone has ambition and goals for their life. But he has never spoken about going completely solo. In fact he was the first member to come to weverse live to reassure fans that bts werent disbanding when media were making bts disbandment news post festa dinner last year. Even in interviews now, he has been speaking about missing bts and coming back together with a greater synergy.

• That's his solo ambition which is cool, everyone has ambition and goals for their life. But he has never spoken about going completely solo. In fact he was the first member to come to weverse live to reassure fans that bts werent disbanding when media were making bts disbandment news post festa dinner last year. Even in interviews now, he has been speaking about missing bts and coming back together with a greater synergy.

Oh.. I just searched what striking on your own means. I don't see him leaving BTS...I'm referring to how they're doing their solos rn... :pepe-life-support:

• it kinda unfair to judge to the solos at such... cos each member didnt have the same roll out or given the same tools like jk and jimin... eg different versions and remixes, not even instrumental...

Plus genres were different as well, if all were treated the same, the songs may have charted better, even debut in top 10 hot 100!

That being said, if im a producer and a song like seven drop on my lap, i without any hesitation would give it to jk, as his potential is enormous in the pop scene!

Im sure the boys themselves know how talented jk is... xpecially yoongi ...

Well, tae is next and he may surprise us with another top 10 hit, maybe even no 1..

• Ngl, I'm worried about SB and his manipulative ass. I could swear he was eyeing for JK since 2019.

blackjacks (if there is one) can cross check this fact but this is the man refused to do cl’s album production when cl had enough drafts because he found “her responsibility to 2ne1 hinders her musical potential.” And also the big reason of demi lovato’s mental breakdown

I never really like this man, and i’m not above thinking his poaching *ss will try to break jk from korea to be fully settled in america if he can isolate him from bts

Disclaimer: i am not the type of person who think each member should have similar popularity because everybody is pursuing different music which comes with different public reception. But i find it off-putting that media always tried to make drama out of nothing, when bts’ story is literally one bookstore away and all their interviews are on the webs. Not to mention the blatant dismissal of BTS’ asian success before their AMA’s US debut

• blackjacks (if there is one) can cross check this fact but this is the man refused to do cl’s album production when cl had enough drafts because he found “her responsibility to 2ne1 hinders her musical potential.” And also the big reason of demi lovato’s mental breakdown

I never really like this man, and i’m not above thinking his poaching *ss will try to break jk from korea to be fully settled in america if he can isolate him from bts

Disclaimer: i am not the type of person who think each member should have similar popularity because everybody is pursuing different music which comes with different public reception. But i find it off-putting that media always tried to make drama out of nothing, when bts’ story is literally one bookstore away and all their interviews are on the webs. Not to mention the blatant dismissal of BTS’ asian success before their AMA’s US debut

Not you falling for the narrative being pushed by PJMs with that sc...its so easy to turn the fandom against a member in this case Jungkook....people should just trust Jungkook but feels more like people have decided to believe in Scooter having some nefarious agenda instead. So much paranoia is really a sign of lack of faith in JK IMHO and also a belief that Jk cannot identify what is good for him nd what is not.

• I don’t like the tone of this article one bit. American superstar?? He’s already a global superstar. Don’t dumb his success to just America as if it’s such a big deal.

Also not surprised it’s that dumbarse Hugh from Forbes who wrote this. I won’t be hyping any articles from him because he’s trying so hard to frame JK’s solo debut as some BTS breakup, just like all the white boybands in the past.

• Some of y’all need to stfu.

We get it you hate scooter. Don’t support any of the work he is “involved” then. Exhausting af, these conspiracy ass theories about what JK is gonna do.

Even in some threads, I’ve seen some armys trying to give Scooter the credits for seven success like it was some mastermind he had when we haven’t been seeing that so-called “payola”.

As the producers said, this song only did well because it was JK that sung it. He has his own star factor which I’m sure scooter had nothing to do with

• Their heads are going to explode when BTS releases a string of successful solo albums and then promptly comes back together to continue their group work.

Us westerners really have no point of reference for a pop band that doesn’t break up, but instead launches the members as solo artists while keeping the group intact. It’s natural if you’re not in the know about k-pop to take the BTS hiatus as another 1D situation, but as armys know the real deal, I hope they can relax and not jump to attack any journalists who makes the comparison.

also, the doomposting about Scooter Braun’s influence is unnecessary, in my opinion. He’s the president of HYBE America after all, what is in HYBE’s interest is in his interest, and what is in HYBE’s interest is to keep BTS together and their brand flourishing. Comparing Jungkook in 2023 to CL in 2015 (with 2ne1’s career off the rails and YG being a mess) is apples to oranges. Chill out guys!

• whether to believe or not that scooter has an ulterior motive... even bang pd realise that in order to be successful in the usa, he needs conections... ie western producers, song writers... this is where scooter comes in...

When bts blew up in usa with dynamite, butter... these songs actually came from columbia ceo perry guy...

Jk has a very high chance to get a grammy norm this year with seven, and he may actually win this time...

And if scooter takes abit of credit, so what ... as long as bts wins in the end, thats all that really matters...

• Isn't a discussion going on in the thread or do you want everyone to agree enmasse with just one narrative? Exactly what you want is ongoing so what is the issue?

You want a discourse but at the same time are mad that people are disagreeing and agreeing with each other? I am sorry people here do not conform to your lofty expectations of them and do not discuss in the manner you want.

• True especially when forbes has been shady since seven's release.

Edited once, last by elliejr ().

• This thread contains 32 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!