"Music now-a-days makes people depressed"

• I saw a Youtube comment that said something like "80's music made people happy, music now-a-days makes them depressed"

Yup, these songs below make me sad.

Bouncy makes me a sad parrot.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I Need Love makes me feel like I need love because I have no love...

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kick It 4 Now makes me feel nostalgia deja vu :cryc:

Nah, just kidding, these songs obviously make me feel happy.

On a serious note, I do enjoy listening to 80's music, but I'm not that kind of person, who says things like "music was so much better back in the old days."

And maybe in 2050's, people are going to act as if 2020's music was better. (but well... I'm not psychic)

It's the nostalgia deja vu making people feel that way.

• The big difference between 80s music and current pop isn't whether it makes folks depressed or not, at least for me. Music back then was just created and produced differently, and the purpose has changed.

Songs were works of art back then, created by actual songwriters without computer softwares, people literally sitting at a piano or with a guitar and writing shit down on real paper. Like Mozart and Beethoven did 400 years ago. Songs were allowed to breathe, they routinely ran over 4 minutes, many hit 5, 6, and some opuses hit 10 minutes or more. Singers had to sing them, there was no autotune back then, that's why you can actually feel the humanity in them, singers would miss a note by a fraction of a step and it would still be published that way cause that's just how things were.

Nowadays, everything seems to be geared towards streaming and artist branding. Songs are advertisements for the artists, not works of art. Because of streaming, they're almost meant to be played in the background instead of being front and center, they're incredibly short, incredibly basic, stripped down, with all complexity and emotion ripped out of them. All processed the exact same way, with the exact same autotune, which means almost no humanity is left in any of it, just sterile congealed noise.

Heatwave was the #1 song of 2022 according to the Hot 100. Despite the fact that it actually officially clocks in at almost 4 minutes, the song is the most basic and repetitive song in recent memory. It's as inoffensive as humanly possible, it leaves literally NO IMPACT to the listener.

The biggest Kpop song of 2022 was Love Dive. While more interesting and complex than Heatwave, it too is pretty basic and one note. It has a few killing parts but overall, you can tell it was created on a computer by a software jockey, rather than by musicians sitting around a piano. Not a single real piano or guitar or drum was used in the composition of the song.

Compare those two songs with the #1 song of 1989. The differences are staggering.

Look Away by Chicago is an effing classic from one of the most legendary groups in pop. Kids today would call this music noisy cause they're so used to Heatwave's repetitive monotony and robot autotuned vocals. When in reality, Look Away was tame af, literally meant for easy listening radio targeted towards the boomers of 1989, not many self respecting rebellious teens would admit to listening to this lame old people music lol.

So times have changed for sure. It's not about makin people depressed, it's about how music was made back then vs now, and the ultimate purpose of a song.

• You betcha 80's music made people happy. I was a teen then and it was the music of my life. It was when music was real music with real musicians playing instruments. The music still remains some of the most iconic of the 20th century and I'm glad I came along just at the right time for it. Music today imo is garbage, even my daughter says so and she's nearly 21.

• That's why the bsides are usually my favorite more than the title track since bsides is where the art is still intact, without the need to chase the industry achievement

• Is drepessive music a thing this days? I thought the popular this days is upbeat meaningless music to avoid reality. Last drepessive big thing i can think is Radiohead, and that was in the 90s.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!