What's your opinion about Eng Ver or Japanese Ver ?

• Even if the process is not new with the internalization of kpop it is more and more recurrent to find songs with their English and / or Japanese versions in kpop albums even in albums from more medium and even sometimes little agencies .

I'm not talking here about songs that are sung in English or Japanese, but songs sung in Korean and then have an English or Japanese version. Most of the time it has little influence and the English or Japanese version often have disappointing results but we have the recent example of the group Fifty fifty who saw the English version of their song "cupid" going viral or previously Loona's "star" music which is the English version of their song "voice".

From a personal point of view I never listen to them. Maybe it's because I'm used to listening to songs that aren't in my mother tongue since English isn't my language. I always prefer to take the original version of the song regardless of the language, I find that the translated versions lose a bit of their charm.

What is your opinion on this? Did you find a use for these versions? Did you listen to it?

• Tbh most of translated version sounds weird. Maybe one of the best is fifty fifty's cupid.

Also, I think a kpop song that are translated into Korea sounds better than a kpop song translated into other languages? (The reverse of it)

Stayc's Poppy is a good one (well, assuming that if poppy was actually written in JP first then translated into KR)

Some izone song also sounds good when it translated from jp to kr

(That Yume no something something, also Yena's Lesson (translated into Giving Tree))

Another thing is... What do you think about a kpop song that are translated from kr to cn? Gidle's Tung tung (empty) Chinese version sounds as good as the KR ver.

Wjsn also had this type of songs (but I forget from which album is it, either Secret or the next one)

• i ain't bothered by it Japanese is a beautiful language and when they sing songs in english it makes it that much better for me, then i can understand the message they are conveying or just enjoy it more. not even that big of a deal

• I usually only like the jpn version if it's a cuter song for some reason.

For English songs, obviously it really depends on who does the writing. Asian songs (and languages) usually use a lot more romantic, descriptive and poetic lyrics whereas English songs are pretty blunt nowadays. The main issue with English versions is they're mostly translated while keeping as much of the original identity and lyricism as possible. It usually comes off as incredibly awkward, cheesy or just jarringly off

I feel like Red Velvet's Bad Boy and 5050 Cupid are still the best of English versions. And SNSD's The Boys until you actually think about the lyrics😶

BLACKPINK☘︎JESSICA☘︎NEWJEANS☘︎SEJEONG☘︎THE ROSE☘︎TWICE☘︎YERIN BAEK☘︎YUKIKA

47884d995b21786891bbe8c89d889d7abbd157e5.webp

Dont you know how sweet it tastes now that Im without you

• I always prefer the original (Korean) version and I’m generally not a fan of English songs. Note: I’m American and only know English.

• Actually, I prefer for K-musicians to release original English or Jpn songs instead of releasing a version of their Korean songs in English or Jpn - most of the time the OG Korean is remains the best.

OP and fellow forum users - please use ‘Jpn’ as the abbreviation and not what OP used - that is a slur.

• citron-icy

Changed the title of the thread from “What's your opinion about Eng Ver or Jap Ver ?” to “What's your opinion about Eng Ver or Japanese Ver ?”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!