Is the key to global success/charting just making Western pop?

• Are we about to get an avalanche of American pop coming out of the Kpop scene? A lot of GGs are having a ton of international success with very Western sounding English singles (XG, FIFTY FIFTY, Aespa's new OST). NJ has also killed it with songs that fit really well on Western radio.

• Yes...which is why you're seeing more English only or 50/50 English/Korean songs being released...as well as an increase in western producers/songwriters in the credits. Fifty Fifty hit it big with a variation of Say So.

• ▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ 0%

█▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ 10%

██▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ 20%

███▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ 30%

████▒▒▒▒▒▒ 40%

█████▒▒▒▒▒ 50%

██████▒▒▒▒ 60%

███████▒▒▒ 70%

████████▒▒ 80%

█████████▒ 90%

██████████ 100%

It’s both charting, and making songs that appeal to the west. That’s why some Kpop groups go more viral than others, their songs just appeal more to the west than others. ⋆˚✿˖°

⋆˚✿˖°Signing out…⋆˚✿˖°

A7E9B3C7-87D0-45A5-9D36-65707CE0DF98.jpeg

네가 참 궁금해 그건 너도 마찬가지 (ooh, ooh)...

• Well, Aespa did that Life’s too short song and flopped. Itzy also flopped doing western pop.

Also, XG was actually successful? Because I thought they were only hype. As for that Cupid song I didn’t really remember it. But I remember thinking it sounded like any K-pop song.

• no not for all

BTS had consecutive hits in the US with Mic Drop & Idol before doing something more pop (???) like Boy With Luv then going western by doing Dynamite , Permission To Dance & Butter

but idk for other groups :pepe-shrug:

˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷ʸᵒᵘ'ʳᵉ ᵐᵃᵏᶤᶰᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵒʸ ʷᶤᵗʰ ˡᵘᵛ˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷˚ ༘✶ ⋆。˚ ⁀➷

Aesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFsK-POPPIN IN PINKAesthetic GIF - Aesthetic GIFs

• Looks like it, but I like kpop bc it's kpop. Westernized kpop sound good but I need that edge that I don't find in western pop to stay hooked. NCT127 have one of the best discographies in kpop for this very reason. Hopefully, as long as it sells we'll still have the crazy stuff coming.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I would say songs that play safe in structure and have a predictable sound. In contrast, Rookie by Red Velvet or Kill This Love by Blackpink is very kpop.

But Western songs can be very experimental too, like Unholy by Sam Smith or Bad Bunny songs. These songs switch up the beats just like Kpop songs. So there’s no “Western” sound though

• But Western songs can be very experimental too, like Unholy by Sam Smith or Bad Bunny songs. These songs switch up the beats just like Kpop songs. So there’s no “Western” sound though

But that's what I think of when I think of western pop. Pop music easy to digest.

Kpop is the genre where I find songs that I hate at first but love later the most. I like this feeling of being surprised and changing my mind about music.

The only time a western song made me feel like that that I can remember wasn't even pop, but Du Hast by Rammstein. I loathed it first but then they ended up becoming the band that I was obsessed about the most. Also, Angry Chair by Alice in Chains.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• It quite literally is. Like, it's not even rocket science which is why I never understood why Kpop companies always manage to fumble something that seems so common sense by trying to market the most noisiest or blandest kind of debut to the West.

Honestly, if they would just take the demos given to them AS IS and not get their crappy in house producers or whoever it is to make alterations to the tracks 9/10 Kpop idosl would have been doing much better in the West.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!