Why Lee Jieun gets to enjoy more success as an actress over Yoona, Suzy, etc when Lee Jieun is more involved in singing?

• The famous old Korean sageuk(historical drama), Jewel in the Palace, tells a story of a court maid named Janggeum, who becomes the royal cook, then the royal physician. Based upon a real figure, the central character is said to be the only female who became a physician attending to the King of Korea.

Janggeum thus was a cook and a physician, doing two jobs.

It was set in 1540s when the distinction of a cook and a physician was not too different, so they could get away with this unlikely story (not much is known about the real figure, other than that she attended to the reigning king in his last days. It is likely that she was trained for medicine (mostly to treat court ladies who could not be treated by men by the standards of the day) from the beginning.)

===========

IU, by her very existence, throws a big quandary to all singers in KPop, K-O-R-E-A-N or foreign.

Not only they have to fear her, who regularly attacks newer acts when she feels like it,

they also have to pay filial duty to her, the source of about 90% of all problems in KPop and someone who has never really given up her wishes to end the Kpop Explosion around the world and make it go back to the bad old days, because MAMA gave her the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2014, which made her a Senior Singer who can extract filial duty from all singers who debuted after her at will.

And, now , the person who is better known as a singer in K-O-R-E-A becomes the highest paid actress in there.

IU Sets Record as Highest-Paid Korean Actress with 500 Million KRW per Episode in Netflix Original Series
    According to an exclusive report by OSEN on April 6th, IU's pay per episode for the new series "You did Good" has skyrocketed to 500 million KRW. While there…
    www.kpopreporter.com

Although her agency (=her) denied the report immediately, it is customary in Korea for agencies to deny such kind of reports in order to obfuscate the actor's income. However Edam Entertainment has to release a statement next spring so we will know how much its ex-owner was paid, after taking out whatever Shin Sekyung, who has not really worked too much, might have made from Arthdal II.

There are no shortage of KPop figures who became actors and actresses, and Yoona and Suzy basically retired from singing and concentrated themselves on acting, with Yoona having a hit drama "Big Mouth" and Suzy "Anna".

But, someone who identifies more as a singer than an actress is now paid higher than these two now full time actresses!

List of highest-paid film actors - Wikipedia

Out of the people in this list, only Will Smith could be called a singer, who releases rap albums once in a while, but he is much better known as an actor. The others are all actors, with no singers in it.

Which makes the K-O-R-E-A-N practice even stranger, since someone who still identifies as a singer and has had the largest paid concert in K-O-R-E-A has become the highest paid actress in K-O-R-E-A, an imponderable in any given angle.

• she chose to use IU as her actress name as well.

Please respect that.

• she chose to use IU as her actress name as well.

Please respect that.

The author Chris Bohjalian wrote the novel "Double Bind", about what would have happened to the characters who appeared in the Great Gatsby and their descendants. In the book the daughter of Daisy and Tom Buchanan, whose name escapes me now, insists calling Gatsby "James Gatz" in all times, and she, in the end with her money, puts the protagonist who was tracking the whereabouts of Gatsby's black son into an insane joint per life and burns down every trace of Gatsby in order to save the honor of her illustrious upper class family and to make sure any challenges are destroyed without trace. That figure , ironically, reminds me of Lee Jieun as well but that's another story.

I also follow the Chinese principle of Zhenming, calling something in its own name and not a nickname, so I called the ex owner of Edam Entertainment Lee Jieun long before she had begun to call herself that way on "Moon Lovers". and see no point of changing my policy.

• The author Chris Bohjalian wrote the novel "Double Bind", about what would have happened to the characters who appeared in the Great Gatsby and their descendants. In the book the daughter of Daisy and Tom Buchanan, whose name escapes me now, insists calling Gatsby "James Gatz" in all times, and she, in the end with her money, puts the protagonist who was tracking the whereabouts of Gatsby's black son into an insane joint per life and burns down every trace of Gatsby in order to save the honor of her illustrious upper class family and to make sure any challenges are destroyed without trace. That figure , ironically, reminds me of Lee Jieun as well but that's another story.

I also follow the Chinese principle of Zhenming, calling something in its own name and not a nickname, so I called the ex owner of Edam Entertainment Lee Jieun long before she had begun to call herself that way on "Moon Lovers". and see no point of changing my policy.

You policy is flawed.

You are wrongly assuming that the author and the subject are different.

She is her own author, therefore she can call her character whatever she wants.

• She balances singing and acting compared to the other two who mostly sung and then switched to acting.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Also, I doubt IU has higher appearance fees than Jun Ji Hyun, Song Hye Kyo and other top actresses. She probably earns the most among idol actresses though.

Her agency + upcoming drama also denied it.

her agency = her.

She probably didn't want to be seen to be paid more than people who had more experience than her.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!