SM's "Idol School" will be a failure. About $8,000 per semester

• It will be Trump University 2.0. It's not a guarantee they will ever become SM trainees. And Korea barely has any kids left. Only way it stays open is if they allow overseas Chinese students. And even that. I give it 2 years before it closes down.

• Isn't SM (and other labels) already technically idol schools? They take in hundreds of kids, train them for years, take their money and through it all there's no guarantee they will debut by the end.

• Isn't SM (and other labels) already technically idol schools? They take in hundreds of kids, train them for years, take their money and through it all there's no guarantee they will debut by the end.

Any reputable/big agency shouldnt charge trainees any money and instead provide all the training for free (SM once famously said they spend an average of $100k per trainee even the ones who never debut). The "debt" is recouped after debuting.

And it seems clear to me SM's idol academy will mostly cater to rich international kids.

• I'm not sure how much YGX Academy is, but they've been doing it for 5 years now and they definitely have better instructors, resources and facilities.

YGX is right around the corner from YG Entertainment's new building and THEBLACKLABEL building, which is YG's old building. So you're close to a lot of YG directors and decision-makers who can watch for a potential next crop of trainees.

YG has like a complex if buildings in Mapo-Gu which is in a hipster, viby type area of Seoul near Hongdae.

They own a Cafe and store near YG building, THEBLACKLABEL building and the YGX building.

Anyway, YG and YGX's facilities blows away any other Label's facilities.

Their complex of buildings is valued at around $200 million with the biggest one being brand new.

And they own their buildings unlike SM, JYP and Hybe who rent their offices.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited once, last by Blue2012 ().

• That’s what being a link between organized crime, corporations and government gets you

• This isn't anything new

They have had this sorta of thing for years

Onew was part of SM vocal academy and his teachers referred him to debut. Initially he just wanted to get into university for vocals.

Alot of students will go there as an after school program to get into vocal, dance, music or acting departments of university. Not necessarily looking to debut as idols.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• That’s what being a link between organized crime, corporations and government gets you

SM is the one that has a mugshot with Interpol and is currently being investigated for embezzlement and tax evasion.

No one at YG is charged or convicted of anything illegal. :-)

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

• Such a weird venture to start. But I guess if it's 1 of the reasons that SM artists' vocals are so good, then it's worth it: I've always found the vocals, variety skills (esp the earlier gens) and dance skills like NCT pretty good.

Apparently YG has such an academy for 5 years straight already? Hmm, guess there's more potential and future for such endeavours than I thought. Hopefully the attendees won't regret going to such schools instead of the regular ones.

• If parents have $8,000 a semester to spare, why waste it on SM's idol school?

They can hire the best private vocal and dance teachers for a fraction of that.

The only benefit to it would be having the SM name attached to it, which I guess some people would be willing to pay for. Much like when Kanye opened his school that wasn't even accredited and even ended up getting shut down. People paid because Kanye's name was on it, and not because the actual education was worth the 13k they were paying for tuition.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

fc48bd06c65bdda5a70662a95298c58967e2efac.gifv2388a663244f2a30b386bac2c9600bc97508161c.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!