I watched an unhealthy amount of "What songs are you listening to" videos in Korea and here are some observations

• So first of all, things that didn't surprise me:

Kpop isn't that big in Korea

That we knew anyway. if you didn't, welp, stay strong, we've all been there.

Now to the surprises:

1) A lot less girl group mentions than you'd expect

And the absolute majority of it (80%) was New Jeans - Hype Boy. Specifically that song, not Attention, not Ditto or any other. And they all start dancing right afterwards :pepe-hips:

Equal amount of Aespa's Illusion and Le Sserafim's Antifragile and then couple of mentions of Gidle, Twice, Blackpink and one single chad unnie got caught listening to Nayeon's Pop (a huge W :pepe-hype: ). Surprising absense of Ive, but keep in mind that these are all recent videos and LD is past its peak but still, I would've expected at least one mention of the Daesang sweeping song :pepe-shrug:

2) A lot more boy group mentions than you'd expect, almost as many as ggs

There wasn't a clear winner on this one tho, almost same amount of mentions for BTS, TXT, EXO, BTOB and of course goat ajussis BigBang. And the demography isn't stricly female, couple of dudes jamming to Dynamite and BB of course.

Now, the next one is my biggest shock

3) A lot more Jpop than you'd expect

Again, this doesn't mean a lot in absolute numbers, but simply more than I, for one, expected. I wouldn't expect any, or 1-2 at best but there was a significant amount for me to raise an eyebrow. And a big variety on top of that. Higedan, Radwimps, Mrs Green Apple, Kenshi Yonezu etc.

• Dreamer95

Changed the title of the thread from “I watcher an unhealthy amount of "What songs are you listening to" videos in Korea and here are some observations” to “I watched an unhealthy amount of "What songs are you listening to" videos in Korea and here are some observations”.
  • Interesting

When I watched a row of "What are you listening to" videos from people in Japan they often had 80s songs (like Michael Jackson) or Punk on their list and way more indie-pop (American/British) than you think they would listen to, but there were also some people in Japan who walked around listening to their own songs if they are an artist.

All the countries on earth are so different tho, its quit interesting

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• and BGs definitely more represented than what is seen on the charts

This somehow reminds me of a 2019-video where a guy asked around Seoul what people would be listening to and than he met 2 garbagemen who were in their end 30s and hardcore BTS-stans saying they allways listened to their music when driving the garbage truck around xD

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• This somehow reminds me of a 2019-video where a guy asked around Seoul what people would be listening to and than he met 2 garbagemen who were in their end 30s and hardcore BTS-stans saying they allways listened to their music when driving the garbage truck around xD

Bro taxi drivers, bus drivers, trucks drivers and etc. don't fucking underestimate them, they listen to radio 24/7, they know more about pop music than us. My father is a taxi driver, I am telling you.

• Yep, i saw a couple of those vids. Kpop definitely just one option amongst several other genres and BGs definitely more represented than what is seen on the charts. But this could be due to sample bias, this obviously isnt a truly random poll.

Depends, sometimes they specifically go to certain locations and events. Like they went to survey people who were going to Kpop concert and it was mostly Kpop, they went to Anime con and it was 100% Jpop but the ones I evaluated were mostly just random street interviews.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!