Do you think it'll be better if a group hitting big in SK first and then followed by hitting international??

• Some random thought crossing my mind that "would it gonna be better if a group hitting big first in SK?"

Because almost every top groups that are still exist to this day, they are hitting it big first in their homeland and followed by international promotion or simply just going around to Japan or China.

Let's take a look at BigBang...

My first time knowing them was because of their Fantastic Baby viral on youtube. But turns out they just don't get viral suddenly, they are still loved to this day with their Still Life comeback. The same also goes for SNSD. Their 'Nation's Girl Group" is not just a mere title right?

Hitting big on SK first also makes you having a more relevancy when you are doing on your own and not doing a group activities anymore, right? Like many Super Juniors members are becoming a host/mc/variety star, SNSD Taeyeon becoming a well known soloist, and some others are known actress, etc etc.

Also being big in SK meaning that you're the trend in SK, and... Well, even tho i-fans are having a beef or something with k-fana, the i-fans always keeping up with every trends and news that are happening in SK. So it's like being big in SK could make your way for international promotion easier?

(Also the "IT Girl" was based on the SK gp right?)

That being said that there are some big acts who are well known in SK but aren't known outside of it. That might be simply because they aren't planning to having a market outside SK?

And that's why I wanna ask your opinion about this..

Are hitting big in their home is the best way?

Or it isn't and just simply goes global?

• It's always better to be big (or at least popular) in South Korea before trying to expand abroad. You can't skip the step of becoming successful in your own domestic market or another market before trying to focus internationally. Most groups that have had very little success in Korea but have (comparatively) more success abroad occurred completely unintentionally.

Also, A lot of K-Pop fans seem to forget that in order to be able to distribute albums at any scale outside of Korea you have be signed to major label & to do that you have to show labels in other major music markets that you make music that people want to buy. Why would I as a record label want to invest heavy amounts of my money promoting a group in the US/Japan/China/Europe if they aren't even popular in their own country?

tumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo4_400.gifvtumblr_osguhaDV7t1sk2kqwo2_400.gifvtumblr_orv24i3K1Q1ssnf1qo1_400.gifv

t-αrα | kαrα | wσnhσ | mírαє | dríppín | ívє | crαvítч | thє вσчz | вαє173 | trєndz | ítzч | чσunítє | wєí | nínє.í | shínєє | dkz

• Home is the best

Realistically if you look at it, not many continue making music 24/7 every single day, for the rest of your life

Being big in your home gives you opportunities that being big international doesn't give you. Things like CFs, acting roles, variety show appearances.

This is what I am thinking about too...

It's always better to be big (or at least popular) in South Korea before trying to expand abroad. You can't skip the step of becoming successful in your own domestic market or another market before trying to focus internationally. Most groups that have had very little success in Korea but have (comparatively) more success abroad occurred completely unintentionally.

Also, A lot of K-Pop fans seem to forget that in order to be able to distribute albums at any scale outside of Korea you have be signed to major label & to do that you have to show labels in other major music markets that you make music that people want to buy. Why would I as a record label want to invest heavy amounts of my money promoting a group in the US/Japan/China/Europe if they aren't even popular in their own country?

I wonder, what groups that are more popular globally rather than domestically?

people said it was SKZ and then...?

• Long term career wise they need domestic.

Idols with minimal relevancy in SK can't build careers once the group ends.

No one will book you for acting roles, variety or CFs and even solo music career needs general public relevance otherwise you are performing for a fanbase which rapidly decreases with time.

I also suspect that the current western popularity of kpop is a bubble that will start to slow down and return to a niche interest. I don't think the numbers there will be able to sustain long term careers.

• better for the group maybe since one always has to consider where the group goes after the seven years is up...

long term where is the "iron rice bowl" coming from - for foreign idols usually go back home to promote there and foreign idols with English speaking abilities do have some ability to promote there but they are still SK celebs at heart

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!