I think K-pop artists shouldn't make song titles not in Korean

• It doesn't make sense to people who do not know what the words mean so it lessens the accessibility of their songs

Ponzoña, Que sera sera, Hwaa - I didn't know what any of these meant at first, I know now that I looked them up, but it's not a good first impression when you just don't know what the title means

For people who don't read Korean: "쩔어" makes no impression

For people who don't read English: "Dope" makes no impression

I think since you can generally only title a song in one language (and alienate everyone who doesn't speak that language unless the phrase is well known), the best case scenario is to only title songs in Korean, so that people who live in South Korea would get it

People have made it normal to have pure English titles, but I think it's logically more correct to only have Korean titles

Edit I forgot a lot of Kpop songs have a Korean title and an English title, but let's say if they only wanted to have 1 title, they should make it a Korean name

Edit again : but what they should not do is have a title that's only in English or only in Spanish and it's not a common phrase that everyone knows, so not even people who live in South Korea can understand it

• songs usually have a Korean title and an English title

In korean music platform thr korean title will appear

In international platforms the English title

Everyone will be 😊

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i mean... many koreans know at least basic english phrases because unlike in english speaking countries, becoming fluent in a second language is a much more serious part of education in countries like sk. and the 2nd language is usually english in sk. i would say thats kind of an important part of context. because many koreans WILL have some understanding of the english title of a song, especially people in kpop's target demographic.

• For more examples here is a list of songs that are titled "wrongly" by my opinion:

La Vie En Rose, Violeta

Loro, Lobo

Señorita (Maybe, if you've never heard the term)

I know but then by that logic why is there no Spanish, French, translated title for all languages

A lot of people do not understand English so to make it fair I think there either should be

-> automatic title translations for all languages

-> only a Korean title because the song is in Korean

Ill take problems that are not a problem for 100 Alex

Theres no 100 on jeopardy,

I guess its not really a bad thing but just not an efficient move because they are making it harder for people in their main country to like the songs

• i mean... many koreans know at least basic english phrases because unlike in english speaking countries, becoming fluent in a second language is a much more serious part of education in countries like sk. and the 2nd language is usually english in sk. i would say thats kind of an important part of context. because many koreans WILL have some understanding of the english title of a song, especially people in kpop's target demographic.

Yeah, I guess so, probably if someone has named something only in English they're confident enough people would understand it or mostly get it.

But I feel like it would make more of a connection for native Korean speakers if it was in their native language, not what they learned in school, but yes they probably know what it means if they learned English for years

• My struggling when listening to J-Pop because titles are in Japanese and I can't neither read nor type them. That's truly lessening their accessibility.

Ik, that's what I mean that if there's an English title, why isn't there also a French, Hindi, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese translation since numerous people speak those languages

• thissss

so a double title (one in korean, one in english) is the win-win solution!

Yes, I agree with that,

What I think doesn't make sense is titling pure English or Spanish titles for songs in Korean. I was saying it should either be

1. If there are multiple translated names, do them for other common languages too that aren't English

Or

2. Only 1 title and it's in Korean

It would be the same logic for Japanese music, I know they also have pure English titles and English words for some Japanese and anime songs, but I don't think this makes sense for bands trying to gain fans because native Japanese speakers just can't connect with English as well as their native language

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!