Velvet's Library: 9Muses' Sweet Rendezvous

• We’re doing a throw-back with this one!

I don’t know 9Muses that well, hell I probably can’t name 10 songs from them. But all the songs I know from them, I love. This isn’t even hyperbole, they just have really great songs. This album is more of a collection of singles from their 2011-2012 period. I think with the small amount of songs in the EP, all tracks stand out. From electropop to power pop, it’s a blast of adreadline throughout the entire album. This is probably the most energy intensive album I have reviewed so far. If anything, Sweet Rendezvous not only speaks for 9Muses’ vocal and rap power, but also Sweetune’s power as a producer. I hope you enjoy this review!

Tracklist:

Who R U?

Ticket (single)

Figaro (single)

News (single)

c6GxF05ASewZ9AYFzYjD5kEMylWgIadL48BZRRaYcFkjCIB_SVPgN977IaDmbmTcuw97c9SakzT1CiaWkKfVbtjuWiwuNlthFp5nmfUfUMZNy06uCHc7QBN9vHiHZdgvAdHaCp9Bg6IGIf2wLV1ogoKQT9qlglcC3HdgHM5qtw4xmbl6rUDLTWN_IQ

Who R U?

Written by: Han Jae Ho, Kim Seung Soo, Song Soo Yoon

Lyricism by: Song Soo Yoon

Arrangement by: Hong Seung Hyun, Kim Seung Soo, Han Jae Ho

Composition by: Kim Seung Soo, Han Jae Ho

Produced by: SWEETUNE

How do I get started? There’s so many great things to say about Who R U.

I want to applaud the women first. Their vocals on this track are something special. Euarin does a great job on the rap, Hyuna does amazing with her lines, and the hermitizations are wonderful. The production is so full and so exciting. The drums thrive as the guitar soars throughout the song. The keyboard and bass work so well intertwining with the B-side too. The refrain is sensual (pun intended), starting off airy and quiet contrasting the booming production that was constrained from the guitar in the intro. The verse is addictive, something I don’t usually hear in these segments. It’s short, simple, sweet, which should be a bad thing, but the production and lyricism really pulls it off well. The pre-chorus stalls, which isn’t a bad thing, after the hook and the verse we need something to refrain the energy from exploding until the chorus. Then the energy explodes in the chorus. Oh my god I did a double take when first hearing the electronic effects in the segment. The song-writing flows with the arrangement, it doesn’t slow down the song or try to hinder its power. The writing aids the composition and arrangement. The bridge slows down Who R U, so when the chorus (and verse!) comes back for the final time, it hits like a punch. This song is amazing. It’s great. Like oh my god I love it so much. Sensual energy!

Hooks: 9

Production: 10

Longevity: 10

Bias: 9

Total: 9.5

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ticket

Written by: Kim Seung Soo, Han Jae Ho, Song Soo Yoon

Arrangement by: Kim Seung Soo, Han Jae Ho, Hong Seung Hyun

Ticket starts off on a high note. Its western edges, the notes of brass, the background vocals, the thumping beat, the bass, the guitar. They all work together to make a brash yet emotional composition that can knock tears into anyone listening. The track is so big, so strong, so bold, that it makes it vulnerable. The vocalists really hit the emotional beats in the song-writing as well. With the motif of a one-way ticket, the arrangement sounds like a train moving forward, no matter what the circumstances the singers are going through. It’s kind of sad in a way: There’s no thoughts, no second guesses, just a one-way ticket to their goal, no matter the obstacle. The rappers don’t get much time to shine during their verses. They’re quick, and meant to aid the train to get to its destination. The verses are, not slow, but soft. It’s melodic. The beat quiets as the electronic rhythm takes hold. The guitar also controls the energy, releasing periodically with its riffs. The drums bounce back in the pre chorus, the train starts moving. The beat carries the energy, with the guitar, until the chorus. The energy then is unleashed by the hook of the chorus: “Ticket one-way! Ticket one-way! One-way one-way one-way ticket!” This earworm is so powerful, and holds so much intensity that impacts the strength of the brass horns blowing in the background. The lyricism has so much strength and stamina built into it, tagging from the rap verses to the singing versus, the chorus shouldn’t work that well but it does! Ticket is a star lesson into song-writing and how to transfer energy from production to voices. TICKET ONE-WAY!

Production: 9

Longevity: 10

Total 9.25

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

News

Written by: Han Jae Ho, Kim Seung Soo, Song Soo Yoon

Composition by: Han Jae Ho, Kim Seung Soo

News keeps its energy throughout the entire song. The electronic rhythm, the electric guitar playing the chords, the beat all works throughout the single. There really isn’t much of a single moment that captures the feeling I describe from this single, but that’s what I like about it. The emotions are spread little by little between each segment. Many songs that don’t have a climax remain flat and consequentless. Of course, News doesn’t really have a single point of a climax, but the final chorus instead is the high point, including the bridge. The chorus is addictive, simple and sweet. The hook isn’t much of a hook in my opinion, it’s there and pretty much filler for the rappers. The rap verse in the bridge is great though, and Lee Sem does great during it. I like News, but 9Muses just makes this whole track better. Their voices are just amazing. I love the key change in the final chorus.

Hooks: 8

Longevity: 8

Total: 8.5

Figaro

Written by: Song Soo Yoon, Han Jae Ho, Kim Seung Soo

Lyricism by: Kim Seung Soo, Song Soo Yoon, Han Jae Ho

The disco influences, the guitar, the keyboard chords, they all build a dance tune that keeps the energy constant. The hook is alienating at first, but grows when there are repeated listenings, especially with the brass aiding the disco impact. The verses are soft, and flow. They are more there to help the production go forth. The pre-chorus is short and sweet. Then the chorus hits. The head voices are angelic, carrying much of the chorus. The brass lifts the atmosphere, the guitar aids the composition in the dance as well. The bridge is great, and very much the high point of Figaro. The electronic rhythm clashing with bass and the thumping drums. The key change is spectacular, and lifts the track to a new high. Figaro is very much a dance song. It’s not a performance, nor a spectacle, but it’s a song made for listeners and dancers. Though I haven’t really said much of my subjective thoughts, I do very much like this song. It’s objectively one of 9Muses’ best. For me, it’s not one of my favourites but my god I can get down to this song any day of the week.

Longevity: 9

Total: 9

Total: 9.1

Credit to TheBiasList for the rating system

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!