what's your opinion on genetic engineering on babies? to predefine their looks, cognitive abilities etc

• Is it bad or good? Should it be normalized? Why and why not? :claps:

it would be fire if it was done to me and turned out well. though i don't agree with it being done to others. I want my xmen moment:claps:

• Sounds invasive... Also, it sounds like you aren't trying to love your baby or your child for who they are, but rather because of their looks, abilities whatsoever.

Exactly, imagine you grew up, and then one day your parents tell you that "oh we asked the doctors to modify you , sou you could be more beautiful", in that case I would be disgusted, like wtf, am I just some sort of lego a bunch of scientists built, who am I? You know those kinds of thoughts

• i think it can be both good and bad, for instance if you could modify how your baby would turn out you could potentially avoid health problems for the child. but it can also be raising an unrealistic standard of beauty for people as well.

• Exactly, imagine you grew up, and then one day your parents tell you that "oh we asked the doctors to modify you , sou you could be more beautiful", in that case I would be disgusted, like wtf, am I just some sort of lego a bunch of scientists built, who am I? You know those kinds of thoughts

That would give me an everlasting identity crisis... as if it wasn't pretty tough enough being human in the current "normal" conditions. lol

• I'd not be that focused worrying about the altered babies themselves. They will have it great. They will enjoy longer life span, higher intelligence, and so on. I'd be more worried about the "natural" ones. Once the cat is out of the bag, every person who have resources will seek to give an edge to their babies. It will be an arms race.

The ones who would benefit it more are the higher class for sure. They will have first dips if not a monopoly on this. They already have very easy access to very high quality education which could be considering an engineering of our minds.

Can it be used as an equalizer or will just increase the gap between have and have not creating a de facto super human elite over normal humans? We still struggle with ideologies that think some groups are superior to other fellow humans, but imagine de facto "superior humans" exiting.

• If it means eradication of most congenital diseases, then yes. But predefining looks is a bit of a slippery slope. It sounds a bit too much Übermensch-y.

As far as the X-Men moment, in that fictional world, mutants are homo superior implying regular humans are inferior or a step below the evolutionary ladder. What it would mean in reality is that it would just be another level of division and prejudice among people.

• The complexity of DNA is beyond Scientists knowledge. Like any complex system all the parts are important. How does the entire system react by removing a part and putting in something else.

Seems scientists discovered a DNA part to switch out that engineers a result. Consider DNA part to change hair color could be required to develop a intenal organ.

• The complexity of DNA is beyond Scientists knowledge. Like any complex system all the parts are important. How does the entire system react by removing a part and putting in something else.

Seems scientists discovered a DNA part to switch out that engineers a result. Consider DNA part to change hair color could be required to develop a intenal organ.

Yikes imagine you just want to change hair color but instead you grow a toe instead of a nose :pepe-cross: :pepe-back-away:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!