The Battle for Grand Prizes will be very fierce this year

• Chief points of contention -

Grand Prize , Digital - IVE vs Gidle

This will be the only year where they will have a shot at Grand Prizes, since by next year the established companies will make their returns with a vengeance.

IVE now has some edge, since it has continuously done well while Gidle only made one promotion.

Grand Prize - Album - Too many candidates.

It is unlikely that the Grand Prize-Album this year will be given to BTS who won't attend unless their military situation is cleared up.

There are several legitimate candidates.

Seventeen

NCT Dream

txt

Enhypen

aespa

Lim Youngwoong

BlackPink

Seven candidates.

While out of these Seventeen sold the most albums, Korean awards are not calculated by the number of sales. Several factors will be in play.

Artist of the Year

I won't even go into this.

BTS and a certain 1,343 years old are taking hiatuses, which leads to a winner-take-all fight, which will make this year's Grand Prizes talked about for a long time.

• IVE - Starship/Kakao is an established company.

Isn't Bigbang a candidate for Digital SOTY?

Album - LYW ought to have strong chance.. but MAMA hates soloists and trottist, so might palm him off with some other prize. MMA/GDA might not do such tricks.

But yes Seventeen has done well this year and since they too are HYBE..maybe

We still have to see how BP does with their Album.

I don't follow Album and physical stats that much. But read Itzy doing well, even Twice?

There is a high chance that it will be a 4th gen sweep this year - IVE, NJ and GIDLE all in the running. So SOTY, RookieOTY, ArOTY might be spread among them.

• The rationale to give IU the Grand Prize from Golden Disk in 2018 might apply here.

IU was cheated of that prize, and quite a few other Grand Prizes, before it and even at 2018, at the age of 24 (prior to 2019 her human age would be used), she had no Grand Prizes; she is a rare case where she was given a Lifetime Achievement Award before a Grand Prize.

So, they gave her a Grand Prize, to close the 2nd Gen altogether and send it off. They didn't expect she would linger for a few more years.

I think this year they will give Grand Prizes to Seventeen (most likely album) and BlackPink(most likely artist), to recognize their achievements and wrap the 3rd Gen up, and the Digital Prize to Gidle/IVE/aespa(even though it didn't do well digitally this year, they did give a Grand Prize for Signal in 2017).

If IVE is given a Grand Prize, NewJeans will be given the Rookie award.

• That is not their rationality, but your irrationality speaking.

IU got her SOTY in 2011 itself, but in your weird world MMA was not a valid prize then, but she also won SMAs, which was a valid prize in early 2010s..

But anyway, your irrationality apart..

I don't think they waste Daesangs like gold watches to retiring pensioners.. they might use 'Lifetime achievement award' for that.. MAMA tried that with IU and now look like fools, as she goes to greater heights.

If it is a 4th gen sweep, I think

GIDLE will get the SOTY

IVE will get the ArOTY

NJ will get the Rookie

Depends a lot on how "After Like" does.. at this point IVE is a suitable candidate for all the three prizes.

GIDLE not eligible for Rookie

and NJ with just one release, ought not to get ArOTY.

We will know soon enough.. too early to start the Award season fights.

• Why would they give AORTY to Ive but ROTY to NJ when the gap is quite significant. IVE has more chance to take SOTY for at least MME.

Unless Award shows hate soloists LWY will take it. Great sales and he has the highest digital points after IU?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!