Do you think SNSD's comeback has changed the game for girl groups?

• Yes a reunion was pretty much guaranteed since it's SNSD, but a new album, music show promotions, many variety show appearances etc.? That was not, and this was pretty much what an active girl group would do for a comeback.

From what the girls have said in Soshi TamTam, their was no set year for this comeback. They tried last year but pushed it back to this year. Unless you mean SM planned it years ahead of time?

As for the second paragraph this is why I wanted to have this discussion, I wonder what was agreed upon for this comeback (royalties, payment for performances and appearances, etc.). Like the girls signed contracts for only this comeback, so this will become more common for veteran top girl groups? That would mean members can safely choose to leave a label for their career and it's not the end of their involvement with the group.

The first few years it didn't look like there was a clear plan but the last 2-3 years it was obvious a 15th comeback was happening. I think they said as much last year during the Yoo quiz thing. As for the extent of the comeback, I think has more to do with which members ended up staying.

I have a hate-love relationship with how SNSD paved the way for groups not clearly disbanding but I really do hope it leads to more reunions and comebacks

• They are an exception, there is no way any other 2 gen gg's would get the same amount of success. I don't even think blackpink would be able to do something like that in the future.

But I guess It is a blueprint if you are a gg in SM.

• you mentioned BEG and now SNSD

but of the 100s and 1000s of kpop girl groups that have debuted

these two are the exception as oppose to the rule right?

• Yes, but I'm thinking 1-comeback contracts could make more groups comeback after 10, 15 years

look it's certainly possible but from what I know the amount of GG who as an entire group renew with the same company as debut are two and only two (Twice and Mamamoo*)

and thus it's so rare for GG to continue even promoting as a group post first contract let alone groups where the members aren't even in the same company doing their own separate things...

from what I've read and seen it was a monumental effort to coordinate the entire schedules of all eight members and these members are still within the entertainment industry

imagine trying to cb as a group where some members are retired or have children etc etc

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!