Red Velvet Yeri Accused of Sexually Objectifying Nurses

• Yeri is seen acting as a nurse in the "Drama Stage 2021 - Mint Condition" trailer. Many people were highly anticipating Yeri's appearance, as it is Yeri's first time tackling acting, making this her official debut as an actress. However, people were highly disappointed and critical once they saw what Yeri was wearing.

Red Velvet Yeri Accused of Sexually Objectifying Nurses in ‘Drama Stage 2021’ Trailer

In the trailer, Yeri is seen wearing a short skirt with her nails painted red. Her character is a nurse named Hong Chae Ri, a nurse in the Radiology Department who is known for her striking visuals and independent personality. While people understand that it may play up to her character's attitude, people are still upset at how nurses are being portrayed by media.

Red Velvet Yeri Accused of Sexually Objectifying Nurses in ‘Drama Stage 2021’ Trailer(Photo : tvN)

Viewers left negative comments concerning the trailer. Several asked why they had to make characters who are nurses wear sexy clothing rather than the appropriate scrubs nurses actually wear. Others also said that they feel bad for nurses, who are constantly sexually objectified in popular culture. Some comments left were sarcastic, wondering which hospital nurses have who wear mini skirts.

Others, however, defended tvN and Yeri, saying that the costume choice may have something to do with the drama's plot and setting and to wait before they give any negative feedback

• Not wearing scrubs is an odd character choice, since it's SUCH a famous and widely known uniform. (Plus, I mean, hygiene. Would you want a nurse in a mini skirt changing bedpans or doing other stuff that might involve them getting bodily fluids on them?) Very odd filmmaking choice.

• She wasn't the one who picked the outfit or the concept, maybe attack the people actually responsible for this. She was the one being objectified here, what are these nutheads even saying? Are actresses to blame when their job and career objectify them in order to rake in more viewers? Come on now.

Truth. The costume is the costume department and director's responsibility. Sometimes actors get input into their costumes, but especially for a newbie actress, that's on the costume designers.

• Truth. The costume is the costume department and director's responsibility. Sometimes actors get input into their costumes, but especially for a newbie actress, that's on the costume designers.

We also have zero context for the four seconds of that scene in the trailer. It's very possible the nurse is not even on duty during that scene and is just helping out that man. I agree that nurses as a whole shouldn't be sexually portrayed, but that also doesn't mean that nurses can't ever dress that way on their personal time. I wouldn't draw any conclusions until we knew if that was, in fact, her regular uniform.

I left my heart in LA again. Please continue taking good care of it.

• We also have zero context for the four seconds of that scene in the trailer. It's very possible the nurse is not even on duty during that scene and is just helping out that man. I agree that nurses as a whole shouldn't be sexually portrayed, but that also doesn't mean that nurses can't ever dress that way on their personal time. I wouldn't draw any conclusions until we knew if that was, in fact, her regular uniform.

I would agree if it was just the scene of her taking blood pressure, although even there you can tell from the hallway at the opening of the shot that she's in a doctor's office or hospital, and performing a medical procedure on a patient that seems to have a mysterious ailment, so she really should be in scrubs for her own safety. But later she's seen in the viewing room for an MRI, in the same dress, which is a big no. You can see the other person in the MRI room with her has on a labcoat, which at least is hospital-professional clothing.

Like I said, none of this is the actress's fault, it's the fault of the costume department and director. But I could see how people would get "sexy nurse" from the messaging. I feel bad that the actress is having to take the brunt of criticism as an idol and someone who's been promoted as a face of the production, when the costume director is probably an anonymous person who won't get much flak for it.

• She is not responsible for the clothing choice. The hate or dislike shouldn't ne directed towards her.

Is she even a nurse in the drama??? If yes then what the hell did the director think and put nail polish of all the things.

At this time where nurses are working way hard than normal, it's highly possible they get sensitive when things are shown in this way.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!