Why can't many idol female soloist seem to make it big?

• There are only two consistently relevant female idol soloists, Taeyeon and IU. There was Chungha and Sunmi but both seem to have fallen off with Sunmi's new song barely charting and 2020-2021 being rough for Chungha. The only post Iz*one member that's doing decently is Yena despite how many debuted as soloists. I'm just wondering why there are so few female soloists lately that have consistent popularity.

• Although I agree Chungha / Sunmi have dropped the ball will a real banger the last comeback or two, I still rate them.

But Hwasa does well on comebacks so I would say she should be in this conversation.

What i'm excited for is when 3rd Gen groups start to disband or go on hiatus what diamonds will come out the rough? for example I really think Yoohyeon from Dreamcatcher would make a really good solo artist but anything could happen and Dami for example could be the most dominate force to go solo.

I will also say, although I LOVED Yuju's solo, I am abit disapointed she has not made another comeback yet and hope for one soon!!

"We're always with InSomnia, we can spend more time, beyond limits together!"

• Well K-pop as an industry is designed for groups, solos are rather secondary.

Reasons,

#1. Companies can better control the brand of a group than an individual,

#2. The chances of a group going viral is more than that of an individual.

#3. Group dynamics offer more content for fandom.

Solos abound in non K-pop and successful within Korea.

But it is not easy for soloists to expand across cultural spectrum into other markets. They have to focus on lyrics to engage and that's more culturally rooted.

While K-pop groups with their synch choreos, boppy dance music etc. can achieve that better.

But within soloists you perception is incorrect, female soloist actually are more relevant than male.

In the top tier, probably only Kang Daniel exist in Kpop. Rest are all group members doing parallel activity.

Whereas there are far more female soloists whose groups have gone inactive.

3rd gen GGs are winding down and we will see more like Nayeon.

Whereas BGs tend to have better longevity, so fewer from them.

Groups are more sustained by fandom, while solos more by GP. The difference between physical and digital sales indicates that.

And fandoms aren't effective with soloists, even when group members become soloists, only a lesser part of the fandom continues with them.

Besides in Korea, male or groups, you have one female soloist utterly ruling the roost for a decade now.

Nobody has gotten as big as she has and so consistently.

• There are only two consistently relevant female idol soloists, Taeyeon and IU. There was Chungha and Sunmi but both seem to have fallen off with Sunmi's new song barely charting and 2020-2021 being rough for Chungha. The only post Iz*one member that's doing decently is Yena despite how many debuted as soloists. I'm just wondering why there are so few female soloists lately that have consistent popularity.

Wut? Only 3 Izone members debuted as soloists out of 12, it's not that many. And both Yuri and Eunbi outsold 90-99 percent of all female soloists on Gaon. Yena is also literally the only relevant 4th gen soloist, she's doing way better than decently lol. 120k sales and a top 10 hit.

• Check these threads

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!