5 June KDramas

• KDRAMA SPOTLIGHT

YUMI’S CELLS 2

_medium.png

I’m not even going to lie. I haven’t seen the first season of Yumi’s Cells. I wasn’t even sure what this drama was about when I chose it for the Spotlight. I just saw Jinyoung was in it and decided that I wanted to have an excuse to stare at him for a few hours. Fortunately for me, this kdrama is actually quite cute and enjoyable. Yumi’s Cells 2 is a sweet romance starring Kim Go Eun (who catapulted to fame in the much loved drama, Goblin) as ordinary office-worker Kim Yumi. The show starts off with a recap of a break up between her and her boyfriend, handsome game developer Woong (Ahn Bo-hyun). Apparently, season 1 focused on the development of their relationship and Yumi trying to open her heart to him. Only the first two episodes are available so far in season 2, but this one appears to be about her moving on with the help of co-worker, Bobby (GOT7’s Jinyoung playing the sweetest, most attractive guy in the whole world apparently).

The central conceit of the drama though is that we’re shown Yumi’s internal struggles via cartoon representations of her intellect and emotions. Yumi has an entire world in her head full of characters with their own lives and feelings who resist facing bad news and fall ill when Yumi suffers. The cell characters are fun and provide much needed levity and a break from the sometimes overly earnest main plot. At other times though, I felt like I just wanted things to move on a bit. The beginning of the drama is especially slow (or maybe I just wasn’t in the mood for it). Fortunately, as time went on, I did develop a liking of both the “real” characters and the cells in Yumi’s head. If you are looking for a sweet drama and don’t need a lot of plot, this one might be for you.

Available on Viki. Premiered June 10th. Starring Kim Go Eun, Park Jinyoung, and Ahn Bo-hyun.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

NOTABLE JUNE 2022 RELEASES

**What I’m Looking Forward To**

AAAABYan7_IY1kIqWXB9TiMfF1LnhQY_8T_tfNHUXRLZqvmamje_qNaudlZkX8JJsEdU_-QE_knEtjEFe8YclKJjclUdsJb8W0xXyTQK-500x342.jpeg

• Money Heist – Joint Economic Area (Season 1) – 12 episodes
      • Release Date: June 24th
      • Synopsis: A genius strategist and his talented crew composed of top-class thieves attempting to pull off an unprecedented heist in the Korean Peninsula. Stars Park Hae-soo of Squid Game fame.
      • Main Cast: Lee Si-Woo, Yunjin Kim, Park Hae-soo, Jeon Jong-seo, Yoo Ji-Tae
      • Trailer:
        External Content youtu.be
        Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
        Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Rest:

Netflix

• Alchemy of Souls (Season 1) – 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 18th
      • Synopsis: In a fantasy version of historical Korea, a noble troublemaker, Jang Wook, happens to meet Mu Deok, an elite warrior trapped within a physically weak body. Mu Deok becomes his servant, and in secret begins teaching Jang Wook how to fight.
      • Main Cast: Lee Jae Wook, Jung So Min, Hwang Min Hyun, Shin Seung Ho, Yoo Joo Sang
      • Trailer:
    • Cafe Minamdang (Season 1) – 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 27th
      • Synopsis: A criminal-profiler-turned-fraudster disguises himself as a fortune teller and scams his customers for money, a deed achieved by using his attractive physical appearance and his charm to his advantage.
      • Main Cast: Seo In Guk, Oh Yeon Seo, Kwak Shi Yang, Kang Mi Na, Kwon Soo Hyun
      • Trailer:
    • Extraordinary Attorney Woo (Season 1) – 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 29th
      • Synopsis: : A brilliant young lawyer with Aspergers Syndrome finds herself struggling in everyday interactions.
      • Main Cast: Park Eun Bin, Kang Tae Oh, Kang Ki Young, Jeon Bae Soo, Baek Ji Won
      • Trailer:

Disney+

• Link - 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 6th
      • Synopsis: A supernatural phenomenon links an executive chef and a probationary employee in a western restaurant. Soon, he begins to feel her every emotion as she goes about her daily life.
      • Main Cast: Yeo Jin Goo, Moon Ga Young,
      • Trailer:

Viki Rakuten

• Why Her? – 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 3rd
      • Synopsis: An ambitious, but disgraced lawyer meets a warm-hearted law student.
      • Main Cast: Seo Hyun-Jin, Hwang In-Yeop, Heo Jun-Ho, Bae In-Hyuk
      • Trailer:
    • Insider – 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 8th Synopsis: Insider is an action-suspense Kdrama that depicts the story of Kim Yo Han, a judicial trainee who gets in charge of an undercover investigation which causes him to gamble in prison, in an attempt to obtain a hand of cards that will eventually change his future.
      • Main Cast: Kang Ha Neul, Lee Yoo Young
      • Trailer:
    • Jinxed at First – 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 15th
      • Synopsis – A fantasy romance drama that depicts the story of an unlucky man who meets the goddess of fortune and luck who was hidden by a rich family.
      • Main Cast: Seohyun, Na In Woo
      • Trailer:
    • Eve – 16 episodes
      • Release Date: June 8th
      • Synopsis: Insider is an action-suspense Kdrama that depicts the story of Kim Yo Han, a judicial trainee who gets in charge of an undercover investigation which causes him to gamble in prison, in an attempt to obtain a hand of cards that will eventually change his future.
      • Main Cast: Kang Ha Neul, Lee Yoo Young
      • Trailer:
    • To My Star 2 – 12 episodes
      • Release Date: June 5th
      • Synopsis – BL Drama that depicts a star dealing with the downward trajectory of his career when he meets a chef that turns his life around.
      • Main Cast: Son Woo Hyun, Kim Kang Min
      • Trailer:

What We're Watching

Every month I’ll be asking one person from staff or AKP users to tell us what drama (new or old) they are watching or that they are looking forward to and why.

This month’s selection comes courtesy of nahri .

The Crowned Clown

The-Crowned-Clown4.jpg

The Crowned Clown is a 16-episode tvN historical drama that premiered in 2019. It is an adaptation of the popular 2012 film, Masquerade, which starred Lee Byung Hyun. In The Crowned Clown, Yeo Jin Goo takes over Lee’s twin roles of dangerous and paranoid King Yi Heon and his doppelganger, HaSeon, a freewheeling traveling actor. The story takes place in the Joseon era during a time of power struggles in the court and frequent rebellions. In order to protect his own life, Yi Heon forces HaSeon to impersonate him at his whim. While struggling to navigate the palace intrigue and avoiding being found out, HaSeon slowly realizes both the burdens of power and his own desire to initiate change.

I have watched both this kdrama and the original movie and found them to be enjoyable viewings in their own rights. Masquerade was a darker, more serious piece. The Crowned Clown has more lightness and romance as kdramas typically do, but it still does not shirk dealing with the political machinations or showing the dangers that HaSeon faces. The drama is well-paced, especially for a sageuk, and works hard to keep your interest. One of the best things about this drama is the performance by Yeo Jin Goo. He impressively shows his range as an actor, handily conveying the inner darkness of the mad king and the growing maturity of the charming clown. Highly recommended. Available on Viki Rakuten.

• Netflix keeps showing me Alchemy of Souls when I start it up and it looks intriguing, but I'm not a huge fan of historical dramas. :melon_think:

• I keep seeing good reviews/feedbacks for Alchemy of Souls. I might watch it when it's done airing.

Eve is very intriguing, plus there's Lee Sang Yeob. :pepe-flirt:

I'm so close to finish all seasons of Penthouse this June, but I won't likely finish Season 3 very soon. :pepe-toilet:

• Money Heist – Joint Economic Area (Season 1) – 12 episodes

Release Date: June 24th

Synopsis: A genius strategist and his talented crew composed of top-class thieves attempting to pull off an unprecedented heist in the Korean Peninsula. Stars Park Hae-soo of Squid Game fame.

Main Cast: Lee Si-Woo, Yunjin Kim, Park Hae-soo, Jeon Jong-seo, Yoo Ji-Tae

Trailer:

I'm obsessed! I'm only two episodes in, but it's so good. Park Haesoo gives me chills.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Eve – 16 episodes

Release Date: June 8th
    Synopsis: Insider is an action-suspense Kdrama that depicts the story of Kim Yo Han, a judicial trainee who gets in charge of an undercover investigation which causes him to gamble in prison, in an attempt to obtain a hand of cards that will eventually change his future.
    Main Cast: Kang Ha Neul, Lee Yoo Young

This one is all over my tik tok, so far it seems like good drama with strong fl. It gives me mix between it's okay not to be okay and world of married tbh

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!