Does Billlie have the same privilege as SM groups since their company is owned by SM?

Approved the thread.
  • No

SM doesn't give much public acknowledgment to their subsidiaries. Mystic Story isn't able to piggyback off the SM brand value as HYBE subsidiaries do. SM stans don't automatically stan labels underneath SM.

• SM doesn’t treat their subsidiaries groups as part of SM nor include their sales as part of SM like Hybe does because SM itself has already so many/enough artists. Let alone their subsidiaries.

• No lol

The sales for their recent album went from ~35k to ~80k after Tsuki went viral

• SM doesn’t treat their subsidiaries groups as part of SM nor include their sales as part of SM like Hybe does because SM itself has already so many/enough artists. Let alone their subsidiaries.

No

SM doesn't give much public acknowledgment to their subsidiaries. Mystic Story isn't able to piggyback off the SM brand value as HYBE subsidiaries do. SM stans don't automatically stan labels underneath SM.

I see, so Billlie won't benefit from company stans.. But do they have the same resources as SM groups?

• Lmao if that's the case then ive and weekly have the same privilege from big 4 groups considering they're under kakao.

• Nah

They don't have the budgets nor the connections, basically run as a separate entity, despite being owned by SM. It's just a diversification process for major companies.

There's no being able to negotiate (read: purchase) plays on thinks like radio plays etc, there's no way to get them on intl playlists (again: purchase) etc, they don't have the financial clout which under the radar helps with much of the big 3/4 promotion.

They may get injections of capital from SM but that would be via loans, unless LSM is looking for a tax write-off. But it's not significant to change their footing, more like a long term investment.

So think of them as a small label, really.

• Yes you can see all of billie stans are sm stans on the forum. They were just waiting for a moment for billie to be recognisable in kpop. Other sm stans will join in when they get a hit in korea like they did with aespa.

• Lmao if that's the case then ive and weekly have the same privilege from big 4 groups considering they're under kakao.

that's exactly what inspired the thread. I'm pretty sure Hybe is the only big company that actually puts similar effort level in the groups of their subsidiaries.

I think the only advantages Kakao groups have in comparison to others is money, as the visibility the groups from their subsidiary get is obviously small in comparison to big4 so not really a privilege.

• Yes you can see all of billie stans are sm stans on the forum. They were just waiting for a moment for billie to be recognisable in kpop. Other sm stans will join in when they get a hit in korea like they did with aespa.

Satire or delusional

• that's exactly what inspired the thread. I'm pretty sure Hybe is the only big company that actually puts similar effort level in the groups of their subsidiaries.

I think the only advantages Kakao groups have in comparison to others is money, as the visibility the groups from their subsidiary get is obviously small in comparison to big4 so not really a privilege.

Even inside Starship themselves, Starship treats IVE much better than some of their other groups like WJSN. Money and resources will always be allocated to those the company sees the most investment value in.

The way HYBE lumps its subsidiaries together is definitely unique, but I think it's born from the fact that unlike SM or other large companies, HYBE started as a small company that only had BTS instead of a legacy of top idols with legions of company fans waiting to stan their next group. Hybe had to adapt and evolve in this manner in order to keep up and not rely on just BTS.

I actually think it's quite a genius move. And while it's meaningless for companies like SM who don't need to rely on subsidiaries, I think it's a method other mid-sized companies should look into (if they are under larger companies like Starship is). Kakao ought to start a Kakao label. It would probably boost their less popular group's visibility.

W

• Everyone's saying SM doing nothing for their subsidiaries...then why in God's name did they spend money to buy them out??? Do you think SM is in the business of just throwing away actual money for labels and then letting them die? This literally makes NO SENSE.

• Subsidiaries are left to do their own management of their groups, which should be obvious.

the only true part is that yes i’ve seen a couple of SM stans here on the forum also stan billlie especially those who stan nct and aespa.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!