Opera/Musical actors to idols (Yunjin)

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

She's in Le sserafim, and judging from this she'll be the technically best singer in Hybe

There are advantages to being an idol of course but I can't help but feel her talent would be wasted there, that she wouldn't be able to reach her full potential artistically

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't think I'll follow her closely but I wish her the best

Edit:

Well maybe I'll follow her a little...

External Content youtu.be

She sounds lovely singing la vie en Rose

I love that song

Hybe don't ruin her voice I beg you

Edited 2 times, last by Queeeenie ().

• For some reason I'm not impressed with her at all so far. In the times lsrf performed life she either sounded average or was straight out struggling. I guess there's a huge difference between musicals and having to sing and dance to a choreographed routine at the same time.

BTW welcome back, I haven't seen you around for months maybe.

• For some reason I'm not impressed with her at all so far. In the times lsrf performed life she either sounded average or was straight out struggling. I guess there's a huge difference between musicals and having to sing and dance to a choreographed routine at the same time.

I agree with you i am not impressed so far

• She was imo the worst singer in today's performance when her group sang live for the first time. Yes she has the disadvantage of singing the most lines but she was given those because of her technical abilities. The point is no matter how good technical skill of a singer is, it is very different when you have to dance while singing.

• I agree with you i am not impressed so far

I think being an idol or a pop singer and a musical performer are two very different styles. It's even apparent when the switch is the other way around, as in when an idol becomes a musical actor. There some idols who do musicals (at least the ones that are actually good at it) and they sound very different in musicals from their idol selves. Maybe it's easier to do that switch, because of how flexible and varied kpop is, idols already get to try plenty of styles as is. Switching from musicals to pop music is probably harder, specially having to execute a dance routine at the same time. I think she just needs more time to adjust and gain experience and her true talent will eventually come through.

• I think being an idol or a pop singer and a musical performer are two very different styles. It's even apparent when the switch is the other way around, as in when an idol becomes a musical actor. There some idols who do musicals (at least the ones that are actually good at it) and they sound very different in musicals from their idol selves. Maybe it's easier to do that switch, because of how flexible and varied kpop is, idols already get to try plenty of styles as is. Switching from musicals to pop music is probably harder, specially having to execute a dance routine at the same time. I think she just needs more time to adjust and gain experience and her true talent will eventually come through.

Yeah i agree that it is very different but she definetly has the potential, i am just a bit shocked because in Produce 48 she was so good, she killed it in "into the new world" that's why i am so surprised she isn't impressing me, because she was already so good years ago and i somehow feel like she is worse now? then again "into the new world" was a balad in PD48 so maybe you are right about dancing and singing at the same time

• She was imo the worst singer in today's performance when her group sang live for the first time. Yes she has the disadvantage of singing the most lines but she was given those because of her technical abilities. The point is no matter how good technical skill of a singer is, it is very different when you have to dance while singing.

can you link me that performance?

External Content www.youtube.com

You mean this performance?

I think she was one of the most confident sounding, with chaewon being the most stable.

Might be due to some of them having quite low pitched lines, that's a little harder to do while dancing, plus it's a full vocal chorus.

I do feel a bit bad for girl groups tbh, they seem to have more upper body movements (for the guys it's a little more lower body) and so the flow of air is disrupted quite a lot.

I was really just talking about her singing and how being an idol will change that because, well, it's not really a priority in kpop. She'll become a very different type of performer.

I also know that technique matters as far as how you use it to enhance the emotional delivery of the song and how appropriately you apply it to a certain style/genre, and it's not the case that singing in a classical way means you'll sound the "best" in commercial music.

I think being an idol or a pop singer and a musical performer are two very different styles. It's even apparent when the switch is the other way around, as in when an idol becomes a musical actor. There some idols who do musicals (at least the ones that are actually good at it) and they sound very different in musicals from their idol selves. Maybe it's easier to do that switch, because of how flexible and varied kpop is, idols already get to try plenty of styles as is. Switching from musicals to pop music is probably harder, specially having to execute a dance routine at the same time. I think she just needs more time to adjust and gain experience and her true talent will eventually come through.

They are different styles for sure. Female opera singers don't really belt like in pop, for one. I've seen videos of opera singers being trained to belt. Although in kpop the belts are really mixed anyway.

But the advantage they might have is with their vibrato and other healthy vocal habits.

Some musicals are very dance-y like Cats and you have to sing and dance at the same time. Musical theatre actors generally do need to have really good stamina.

In the case of Yunjin, she seems to have studied opera specifically. I don't know her age but she is bound to be quite young and perhaps hasn't been able to study it for very long.

The first video is a few years old now I think about it. I looked it up and she became a pledis trainee in 2017, so she will have been doing "idol" singing for some time now.

I agree that it does take time to adjust, as with anything.

I'm not sure what you mean. She delivered her lines exactly as she was supposed to and sounded in the song (minus the extreme autotune obviously) in the performance. The sound of the performance overal was kinda messy cause why tf were we hearing their breathing and movements so much and i kinda had to look up an mr removed to make more sense of their raw vocals and Yunjin did honestly fine. I have limited knowledge in vocals but as far as i can tell she can support the notes required in this song at least.
    Now if you don't like her voice in general, that's understandable obviously as it comes down to personal preference.

[MR Removedㅣ엠알 제거] LE SSERAFIM (르세라핌) - FEARLESS (피어리스) MR제거 220527
    MR REMOVED(엠알 제거/MR제거)• LE SSERAFIM - FEARLESS [MR Removed]• Music Bank• Live vocals• LP MR REMOVED
    www.youtube.com

• I'm not sure what you mean. She delivered her lines exactly as she was supposed to and sounded in the song (minus the extreme autotune obviously) in the performance. The sound of the performance overal was kinda messy cause why tf were we hearing their breathing and movements so much and i kinda had to look up an mr removed to make more sense of their raw vocals and Yunjin did honestly fine. I have limited knowledge in vocals but as far as i can tell she can support the notes required in this song at least.
    Now if you don't like her voice in general, that's understandable obviously as it comes down to personal preference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…Bw&ab_channel=LPMRREMOVED

I agree

I've seen struggling idols and it doesn't seem to be the case for her here

I didn't make the thread for it to turn into this :-(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!