Posts by YukiBTS

They are british boygroup, there’s no need to overthink

Yeah but they sometimes called "British Kpop boyband" because they were partly created by SM management (trained in S.Korea for 3 months) but I think they either be just like a typical British boyband or they be dancing/singing/rapping like Kpop boygroups but with the British style.

They have K-pop profiles.

https://kprofiles.com/dear-alice-members-profile

the question as always is what is kpop in the first place?

obviously everyone has a different understanding and interpretation of what it is and what makes a group "kpop"

nationality? ethnicity? language? connection to SK? producers from SK? company from SK? does the group have to promote in SK? did the members train in SK? etc etc

Some titles and comments call the British Kpop or in less cases UK-pop.

Nationality: UK

Ethnicity: Mainly English, Irish one of the member is part Belgian

Language: English (may throw a few Korean words)

They were trained by SM Entertainment for more than 3 months or in South Korea for 100 days . They are not going to be promoted in SK I think, they are mostly owned by Moon&Back Media. I think they just selling the image that these boys were trained in SK and that their singing and dancing came from SM, this make people believe they connection to Kpop

The members were selected by these guys who are the owner of Moon&Back Media who decided to partner with SM management.

But they were created through Moon&Back Media and SM Entertainment.

" Dear Alice (디어 앨리스) is an upcoming British boy group under Moon&Back Media and SM Entertainment. The group consists of James, Dexter, Reese, Olly, and Blaise. The upcoming BBC One show Made in Korea will show the process behind the group’s formation. "

Honest opinion: I think this group who claimed to be "Made in Korea" is just trying to gain some Kpop fans for a headstart because every other western boyband have flopped since 1D. Some people called the UK-Pop or a British version of K-pop but they they just seem like a British boyband or 1D like boygroup. The only difference between them and Kpop boyband was they were trained by SM for 3 months. They have way less Kpop vibe than Vcha and Katseye.

However you can find information on them on Kprofiles , most of them are in early 20's, oldest is 23 and youngest 19 all from UK.

https://kprofiles.com/dear-alice-members-profile

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Dear Alice
    www.youtube.com

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I just found their Kpop profiles. Seems like they could be considered Kpop but american https://kprofiles.com/north-star-boys-members-profile/

it begs the question how are they connected to South Korea?

Yes your correct they are not Korean. They don't sing in Korean either but many Kpop members don't sing Korean or are even ethnic Korean. But we can confirmed yeah they never trained in Korea nor are their producer Korean

But they do talk a lot about Kpop, it's music, styles and what idols they like and people associate that with them.

Oh, they're like Katseye?

I though they were Kpop or something like Vcha or Dream academy. I wasn't interested but I acknowledge they are successful, they tour all over U.S. If they are not Kpop affiliated than this would make them the first and most successful Asian american boyband.

I have never heard of them until recently. I always though they were just another K-pop group based on how they looked. I later discovered they sang in english and aren't associated with any K-pop company but I feel least half of their fans are related with Kpop but I could be wrong.

Though I'm surprised. They have like 1.6 million subs in youtube and 5.5 million followers in TikTok. They are a lot more popular than I though

External Content www.tiktok.com

Its a given since they're in the military and they can only promote on social media. BTS is still getting 12 millions likes on instagram when the group took a photo together after many months and 1.5 million likes on twitter. ARMYs became more active as well after Jin got back.

External Content x.com

1.5m likes, 822k reposts, and 180k quotes... :pepe-life-support:

When Jin came back from military, all media outlets from my country were reporting about it. Even when they just simply took a group photo.

That itself is evidence that their popularity is still massive. I think because they show us they are still a family that gets in touch with eachother so people are happy to see them together and trust them.

I remember being a 1D fan and everytime I see people talk about 1D reunion I get fed up with their lies. They been talking a reunion since 2018 and even the latest talk about 1D reunion barely gets more than 5K likes and 60,000 views and thats in months. BTS did not take the path 1D which was lying about a reunion.

2018, kpop has been popular on SEA way longer

I would believe Kpop had been very popular in Latin America and Southeast Asia around the same time. The first western country Kpop was popular was probably.... France. I still see old video of DBSK in 2007 when they arrived in Peru and there was massive crowed of people and also for France in 2011 music bank, 95% of the French fans were local in huge crow of arena and they had boyband like 2pm

Lisa herself made the choice to release an all English song for the American/Western/Global markets. If you asked her point blank whether she would prefer to chart #1 in the Hot 100 or chart #1 in Thailand....what do you think her answer would be?

I have to agree with that too. From musical perspective every person would choose to be no.1 in Hot 100 in the world than just no.1 in your own country. Being #1 in the Hot 100 certainly will improve any artist in global stage. All artist wish to be best around the world.

You got a good point but I do think Kpop values racially diverse fans more than SEA.

Kpop has a massive racially diverse fan base but I think it's more like 10% white, 10% black, 20% Latina , 5% Arab, 5% South Asian and 15% east asian and 35% Southeast Asian

True, and will soon start witnessing it

We are witnessing a slight decline on BTS popularity but only very slight. I say it would still take quite some time. When Jin finished his military training and re-united with the rest of the members you see still 572K likes and 3.7 million views in 3 weeks, and we are talking about millions of likes and over 30 million views if we talk about Tiktok and Instagram, twitter too.

Kpop has been and always will be niche. Marketing will help expand that niche but i doubt Kpop will ever be mainstream. First is racism, nobody wants to see Asian singers/performers for some reason, the only true superstars arent really coded Asian (nobody knows that Bruno and Olivia are half Filipino, everyone thinks theyre latin if anything). Secondly, the language barrier, only 1M speak Korean in the US in comparison to 50M Spanish speakers which is why Spanish songs have a much easier time charting here. Thirdly, the genre, Kpop is boyband music, which has never gotten respect, it's always been relegated to the realm of adolescent teen girls fangirling over hot young guys, nobody considers Backstreet Boys, Nsync, 1D as true artists just manufactured industry drones.

This is ok though. Kpop doesnt need to be like hip hop or RnB. There is plenty of money to be made along the edges of the US mainstream, even just 2-3 percent of the US music market would be a ginormous boon to most Kpop groups.

Yes it's a niche but I still think it is a significant niche. We see various Kpop bands invited in different american shows. Kpop draws a large loyal fanbase even if the majority of people don't know about K-pop bands.

Kpop basically depends on female fans for survival: Teens, kids, young adults.