Posts by harambelives

You don't have to tell me who SNSD are. I was around back then. I was around to witness their peak, and also their downfall, which began in their 7th year, three whole years before going on hiatus. I've also been around to see multiple girl groups surpass their musical achievements in the time since. Yes, they were the legendary girl group of their time, but times change and so do the standards for success. Similarly, you're mostly overstating what they've accomplished individually, in some cases severely. Your comparisons to other groups are also pretty sus. You can't call another group "inconsistent" and then just conveniently hand wave away the fact that SNSD were completely inactive for 5 years (and another year since.) Not doing anything is considerably worse than inconsistency, and it's not like they came back with a huge hit that blew everyone away either. Likewise, bringing up Twice's lack of solo work is highly disingenuous, as we both know JYP barred them from doing solo work until just recently. The only member to go solo so far outsold Taeyeon on her first try, so... yeah. SNSD have done well for themselves, but they are not some gold standard that every group has to dream of emulating. When the 3rd gen was just getting underway, sure, but not in 2023.

I feel you say one thing but then undermine it with your own opinions that are clearly disproven by what’s going on.

You said SNSD was absent and that means they aren’t as successful or popular. The fact they were away for 5 years and still came back with a lot of buzz and success at 15 yo shows the exact opposite. Let me repeat that so you fully get what happened - a 15 year old gg charted better than the newer more in trendy/current ggs who made cbs around the same time like Aespa, Itzy, Twice etc. They were only beaten by BP and 2 monster rookies NJ and IVE.

You can dismiss their success all you want but A big part of that was the individual members being active and keeping the SNSD brand out there while they’ were away. Taeyeon nabbing hits, Yoona getting smash hit films, Sunny on tv all the time, Hyoyeon being a ratings darling, Yuri having a massive drama on a nugu channel and so on. Every time they did something it was always SNSD’s [insert member] that made the headlines. That kept the SNSD name active in that 5 year gap when it could’ve easily been forgotten as an old timer group.

like I said there isn’t another gg outside BP that has multiple members reach the same levels of accolades as SNSD’s members. That was the reality back in the 2010s and it’s the reality in 2020s. They are as gold standard as you can get. I mean you mention Twice being held back by JYP is somehow “disingenuous” but regardless that is the reality, the Twice members don’t have solid solo careers. You can’t say SNSD aren’t successful but then when another gg is compared suddenly they have a special reason so it the the comparison is invalid, that’s called moving the goalposts. You even went back on it by bringing up Nayeon success. So you can use 1 member success to show they’re doing better than SNSD members but you can’t use other Twice members who aren’t that active because that would show SNSD is doing better? That’s being hypocritical right

They essentially broke up after their 10th anniversary and only got back together for their 15th anniversary reunion. We will probably not see them again until their 20th anniversary, if we even do. That is definitely not a best case scenario for any group that actually still wants to be a group. Far from it. That's only a best case scenario for a group of people who collectively think, "I really don't want to go back to doing that, but I guess I'll throw our fans a bone this one time." And let's not pretend they're all successful individually, because they're definitely not. Only two of them are truly successful, then you've a couple with middling success at best, a few with very minor to basically nonexistent individual success, and then there's at least one or two who make you wonder what they even do with themselves from day to day.

Twice may have peaked in Korea, but with them expanding their horizons elsewhere, it's too soon to say they've peaked in general.

I think only a very reactionary person would come to a conclusion on Aespa this quickly.

SNSD lasted 10 years before “breaking up” and in that time they were the biggest and most influential group of their era. Even now there is still no gg that can match their status and reputation in Korea they had at the time. They were that big.

After 10 year despite being inactive the group brand the hilt was so was so strong they were still often making news for any meet ups they had, being brought up by tons of new ggs as their inspiration and had tons of covers of their songs. When they eventually do return they chart top 5 for weeks beating all but 3 ggs during arguably the most competitive summer in kpop history, their appearance on tv had some of the biggest ratings of the year, constantly being top entertainment news for days on end (often because of their tv appearances going viral).

That’s a 15 year old gg getting shit done, we’ve seen multiple ggs loose steam waaay earlier. RV are very inconsistent, Twice fell off a cliff for years now, Itzy has been continually doing worse, Aespa can’t really match their breakout years and so on.

As for only 2 being successes. If Taeyeon and Yoona are the only definition of success then literally 99% of idols should retire and get a real job because they don’t compare. There’s multiple award winning actresses in SooYuriSeo, Hyo is regularly invited to perform internationally (was recently asked to promote Qatar tourism during world cup) and has toured world wide, Sunny for a while was pretty the number 1 go to idol on tv variety appearing as a host/guest/panellist on multiple shows years on end, Tiffany has bounced back from death and rape threats to having a super success musical + constant tv shows + cfs + now actress who starred in one of the biggest dramas of last year.

All that as a 10+ year old group with members who are all over 30 yo. Majority of female idols don’t even have a career as half as long as SNSD 15 years and vast majority individually lose a lot of steam as they get older by their mid to late 20s let alone reaching into their 30s. How many of SNSD fellow gg idols from 2G era are currently as successful and active as any of SNSD? Almost none, I can only really think of Suzy and Sunmi (though she’s lost a lot of popularity from her peak a few years ago).

Outside BP there aren’t many ggs that have multiple members in the same fields like music, acting, tv, cf etc match up to SNSD members accolades for years and years (eg are there more members in Twice outside Nayeon getting music hits or drama roles or tv show appearances as consistently as any SNSD member do? No).

SNSD had plenty of encores where they danced almost full choreography.

IGAB era was next level

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Their encores were better than most others gg actual perfs.

Fair enough. Yeah they were pretty consistent for most of their career but still they did have a big knockdown seemingly out of the blue without a big issue/scandal (due to long hiatus?) which is why I mentioned them.

uhh this couldn’t be further from the truth lol what? Literally what sistar did was unprecedented back then. Even snsd at their peak relevance as “the national girl group” never reached this level of digital dominance, and their chief competitor 2ne1 who was touted to have the upper hand when it comes to charting also didn’t have an unbroken streak of number-1 hits after hits like sistar did. Everyone else was not even close. Don’t know how you came to the conclusion that what sistar achieved was common during 2nd gen lol

SNSD had 10 in a row (Gee and Genie are before Gaon but still got 1s on all music charts).

2ne1 had around 9 or 10 as well but not in row (Fire and I don’t Care before Gaon).

Multiple other ggs had a string of huge hits in a row or spread out a bit like T-ara, WG, Girls Day, Apink, Secret etc

uhh this couldn’t be further from the truth lol what? Literally what sistar did was unprecedented back then. Even snsd at their peak relevance as “the national girl group” never reached this level of digital dominance, and their chief competitor 2ne1 who was touted to have the upper hand when it comes to charting also didn’t have an unbroken streak of number-1 hits after hits like sistar did. Everyone else was not even close. Don’t know how you came to the conclusion that what sistar achieved was common during 2nd gen lol

Twice and BP aren’t exactly outliers if it was done years before and more than a few ggs. If we’re talking 3G sure as there weren’t that many successful ggs outside big 3 and Mamamoo, GFriend but overall 2G had a lot more ggs successful at same/similar time. Even from 3G it’s only really BP that had a long digital career as other ggs were inconsistent like RV and mamamoo or fell of a cliff into the abyss like Twice and Gfriend.

People say they want older women but then they pretty much ignore them after turning 30ish. You could go through a list of idols from 2G who have been active in some way and kpop fans will have no memory of 90% of them. The main ones who get support are SNSD but they mostly do acting and TV which has more interest from older audiences rather than music.

Without looking anything up I got 18.

They were top 5 for a bit though, even fighting for the second place for a few years

Between 2010 to 2012 Fx were having hits like Pinocchio, hot summer and electric shock, were second best selling gg in Korea, had very popular members like Krystal, Sulli and Victoria who were on tv and had cfs. At that point in time they had strong cases to be right up there with 2ne1, Tara Kara etc even beating them in certain criterias. IMO in 2012 fx were probably the 2nd biggest gg in town as they had a bumper year while others floundered (2ne1 weren’t active much, Tara scandal, Kara mainly focused on Japan and weren’t doing as well in Korea, WG were hiatus again).