Posts by gerrard174

Commoners vote for the most mainstream things they see everywhere. I don't care if BP is bigger in Korea than TWICE, I don't stan either of them, but the fact is that BP didn't do anything for years in Korea, so it's actually hard to believe that most Koreans care about them more than a group that actually promote themselves in their own country.

I've read a LOT of comments from Koreans saying they had enough of BP, because they left the country and they're acting different outside of Korea. And this is why these polls are useless. They're asking 1000 people, not the whole country. It's like reading 1000 comments on any SNS platform and creating a popularity list based on that. It's not representative at all.

i mean a poll is meant to cover commoners. Otherwise, who should they cover? Polls are always about public recognition more than testifying for fanbase size.

Also what's more representative for a poll to determine most popular artist in Korea? 1000 people living in Korea, or Mr. David33 who doesnt live in Korea?

guys... a bit off topic but the so-called sajaegi by Bang PD stated by MHJ was to hold additional fansign event and pre-recognise those sales...

And then, it was revealed by some news that MHJ used similar tactic for Japan sales.. asking certain Japan store to prerecognise the sales of certain amount..

Arent these the same tactic? Unless some of these were wrong info but it is like pot calling the kettle black...

Hmm..no cheer up, ditto is there, and Ddu Ddu over Gee?

The only thing not too suspicious about this list is Tell Me being at LEAST top 3 imo

Oops. Only time can tell the truth and it seems that Twice has completely been forgotten by Koreans (which is sad given how much they achieved).

Some may say this kind of polls have recency bias but Psy, Big Bang, Wonder Girls or even Boa are there, so...

Interesting. The trilogy and eras thing are so BSH and HYBE.

Yea.. but at least for Ssera i think it makes more sense than Gfriend cause ssera were a totally new group. The angel concept, trilogy and the "lesserafim=im fearless" motto gave them identity. Trilogy seems to be a thing for Soumu

It is one of the more interesting and well-thought out concept from HYBE, honestly.

The album has low sales for 3 days, then suddenly there is a sudden spike in sales. It's no secret that 99% of bands' albums sell in the first days, if a track goes viral, sales may resume. But the problem is that Crazy is not a viral track, so sales look doubtful. :pepefacepalm:

What world are we living in that people buy a physical album because they heard a new song, liked it and decided to buy the whole album?! This worked in the past but not in this gen my dear.

Sales are mainly from fanbase. Shipment/distribution and sales happen in batches and not one shot. All stores take time to process preorder sales and then real time sales. Fanbases place orders by chunk and those chunks are processed at different timing. It is the same for all groups - go check other groups

Let's not make up stories if you are not familiar with how album sales work

also i have the feeling that if there was a war between ive and ssera to grap the izone fandom, i feel that ive definitly won that war.

and that probably also helps them to hold such big concerts specially in japan. Ive concept is also closer to izones one.

and even tho lately hybe is styling Chaewon more like during her izone days and making izone challenge with Sakura, it's already too late. it's not gonna work.

I dont think SouMu nor HYBE had the intention to replicate sound of IZONE or to solely rely on Sakura & Chaewon to grab the izone fans. Moreover, between wonyoung/yujin, sakura/chaewon pair, the former is more well liked by Korean GP while the latter pair - Sakura was hated for being Japanese and Chaewon for being the "suspected rigged member".

HYBE didn't really put spotlight on the ex-izone members. If they were planning to do so, the center during debut would have been sakura or chaewon but no, the most pushed member was (1) Garam as center (2) Kazuha as visual and (3) Yunjin as main vocal. I bet they were jsut taking ex-izone to ensure enough buzz + stable/guaranteed sales. Obviously this strategy backfired due to Garam scandal and they lost a center. Kazuha being viral for beauty but couldnt attract stans, and subsequently Yunjin scandal... They have eventually resorted to Chaewon as face and Sakura as center

In contrast, SS hard-pushed Wonyoung Yujin as face and center of IVE. The strategy created a big gap in popularity but somehow they won the GP appeal as compared to Lsrf. Not sure is it good for long run...

To certain extent, i agree with you. HYBE probably were chasing trend when planning for LSRF. But generally, LSRF has not never been confined to a particular signature sound but more on the concept/tone/motto. In fact, SouMu HAS BEEN like this ever since it was bought over by HYBE. Notice the last trilogy by Gfriend - Crossroad, Apple, Mago - 3 of them are of totally different sound but is hold by a centralised concept.

In details:

LSRF first 3 trilogy were Fearless, Antifragile and Unforgiven - which has a similar undelying tone of feminism + being independent women. The sound for each TT different from each other

Second trilogy Easy, Crazy, Hot are also teased since beginning of easy era. Respective eras will have the corresponding sound (easy - R&B/reggae, Crazy - EDM and Hot likely summerish/sexy song?). This fits with their motto for this trilogy - "Easy, Crazy, Hot, I can Make It!" i.e. they can be anything they want to be

Their drop off confuses me cause unlike with most other groups I can't seem to pinpoint the exact reason. That whole pre-release stuff with Kitsch & the meh reception it got plus their attempts to break the Western market so early were probably contributing factors. They got a bit lucky with I AM but even then it's a great song & concept compared to what they've been releasing lately....it's probably just a quality thing. They can bounce back with the right song but this industry moves quick

I think Either way and Off the Record are the ones you are referring to.

Cause Kitsch actually hit PAK (and I Am too) and have 700mil digital points on Circle chart.

The whole IVE "declining" story happens because SS is too ambitious and make too many title tracks with bad promotion timing. Either way (climb to #3)was taking off but then by the time it takes off, OTR and Baddie are already coming and obviously Baddie went #1 because that's the main TT. OTR was also pulling decent streams on spotify but it didnt have any time to take off. Let's not mention the wasted potential for Accendio. Who release a 2nd TT after album drops...

aespa has a comback in october / november and they'll probably do really well with the right song. they need a good one to establish their A list status

Without a mega banger, Ive's peak seems pretty behind as well and will go down the twice way.

1) aespa has been A-list since Next Level. They are one of the most consistent GGs with digital charting (all of their TT top 10 including Girls which many deemed as Flop). They also consistently sell above 1mil. If they are not A-list im not sure who else could be

2) IVE is doing fine. They are consistently charting well on K charts and they sell well too. HEYA wasnt the flop that AKP trying to make it looks like...

ssera's song will rise eventually.

Hybe will not allow its precious GG to flop no matter what - by this i am not referring to payola but grand scheme of promotions, dance challenge with popular idols or even more remixes etc etc

Crazy imo is a little sister to Supernova. If the public was fond of Supernova, they will surely eat up Crazy that kind of song. The "crazy crazy crazy ...." finger pointing part is their best bet to go viral

TWICE is literally called the 2nd Nation's Girl Group after Girls' Generation, yet you wanna tell me, BP is more loved and have bigger legacy? I'm not talking about quantity, I'm talking about actual impact! You can't make any impact if you don't do anything, like Blackpink in Korea. I don't think even their fans could tell me when was the last time they did something in Korea as a group.

Mind you, the so-called 2nd nation GG struggled to sell their concert in home country 😭

And you expect commoners to vote for Twice for Gallup poll... isnt it unrealistic and not reflective of the reality 😅

If it's about success, don't give it a name like: "The best singer".

it is a literal translate from korean which the meaning could be slightly different in the context. When people says best singers - it could mean the greatest artists too. Doesnt mean technically, can be due to their wide influence etc

And if it's about success, do we really think Blackpink is on the same level as the others in Korea? I don't think so, but that's another topic.

This is why I said, including BP on a list like this is basically an insult to the others. Sure, they are massive, but what did they do in Korea in the past couple of years? Nothing. They're basically a Western Pop group. I would TWICE above them IF I really need to pick another girl group. The sad reality of these lists is people think, popularity makes someone great and influential, not their talent and the quality of their work.

Stay pressed over Blackpink's wider recognitions both in Korea and WW. No matter what you think, Blackpink has left a much greater impact to the kpop scene notwithstanding their little discography.

Twice was dominant in their first 2 years but they fell off drastically. Moreover, none of its members are staying relevant - Nayeon just flopped hard with comeback. No group can stay relevant like Blackpink and its individual members.

Mind you, Jennie had a #1 collab this year + Lisa had back to back songs hitting the top10 WW spotify. They are still the 2nd female group with most streams this year just slightly behind NJ. Not long ago Jisoo had one fo the most viral hit Flower and Rosé debut album crossed 800mil streams which is record breaking for Korean female soloist.

Stay mad. Maybe create your own poll if you dont like Gallup.

No, they're not Legends. Being Mainstream is not the same as being a Legend! You're talking about KPOP, this is a list about KOREAN SINGERS in general!

In a Kpop list, I would put BTS in the TOP10 for sure, not as #1, but still. But not BP, because MUSIC wise they don't have ANYTHING to show.

Saying, BTS and Blackpink are on the same level as Living Legends like: Cho Yong Pil, Na Hoon Ah, Lee Mija, Seo Taeji is an absolute JOKE! I wouldn't put IU on the #1 spot if we include these people! These people are in this industry for like 3 or 4 times longer than any soloist or group on this list. This is what we call Legend, not a group with 30 songs!

Who cares. Gallup is a survey. Survey is about popularity and recognition

You could be the best singer but if you and your songs are not popular who cares?

Also, if your faves had hits but fell off drastically, you cant fault the poll for forgetting them

Move on LMAO