Posts by Spsnowflakes

Not in korea lol

Latest update

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Well, it's doing worse than Dynamite, Life Goes On, and Butter so far. Doesn't mean it's bad tho.

best selling without a repack right?

I think a korean group surpassed a million with a repack

Repack? I don't think things like repack exist in Japan market lol. Cmiiw. Anyway this is a pretty old list, but this this the top 5 best selling album in Oricon (by Korean acts):

1. BoA Valenti 01/29/2003 1,249,197

2. BoA Best of Soul 02/02/2005 1,060,039

3. BoA Listen To My Heart 03/12/2002 931,742

4. Girls Generation 06/01/2011 872,401

5. KARA Super Girl 11/23/2011 746,681

When they think of TVXQ, they won't think of kpop, because TVXQ is a jpop act in Japan.

I never understand why ppl often brought up this argument whenever they want to prove how big TVXQ were in Japan tbh. I always feel like Japanese ppl think 'TVXQ=Jpop' have a lot more to do with the way TVXQ portrayed themselves in Japan, rather than anything else. I mean if all SNSD members can speak Japanese fluently, and they always talk&sing in Japanese whenever they appear on Japan TV, Japanese ppl will most likely think that 'SNSD=Jpop' as well imo (esp if they do it before Kpop got popular). Doesn't necessarily mean they're the biggest act ever or something, It's just the image they carry.

If you still don't understand my logic, let's put it this way. BTS can sell more NOW than what Michael Jackson did in his heyday. But are we gonna say BTS is above Michael Jackson now? No we aren't. Michael Jackson is still Michael Jackson, the King Of Pop, regardless of what his sales look like compared to BTS.

BTS and Michael Jackson are from two different eras. While I'm comparing BTS and GOT7 in the same year 2015, when both groups are still active. So it's not comparable.

Comparing sales and charting from the same year/era is the most accurate&objective way to gauge someone's popularity at that specific time imo.

Sales & Charting and maybe survey like Gallup are the most objective measurement of popularity, things like

'Dope was the song people saw and were like "omg they are amazing performers"' are very vague.

Also, HYYH Pt1 sales by the end of May 2015 were 147k+, bigger than any Got7 album sales at that point.

Bruh, BTS wasn't even acknowledged by Korea's general public until 2016. They were nugus in 2013 and 2014. They did not get a major increase in their international fanbase until 2015 (thanks to I Need U and Dope). And did not get a major increase in their domestic fanbase until 2016 (thanks to Fire and Blood Sweat & Tears). Finally, in 2017, BTS was able to solidify their branding and name (thanks to Not Today, Spring Day, and DNA). That's when they took over EXO's spot as the top group. Before then, BTS did not have as much of an impact, in either sales or popularity. If you think 2015 BTS was bigger than 2015 EXO and GOT7, then you are delusional. BTS didn't start out as a top group. Don't we all know that they had to slowly and gradually build their way up there? 2015 was definitely ruled by Big Bang and EXO.

BTS was clearly bigger than GOT7 in 2015.

- Better album sales :

BTS-HYYH Pt 2 (274k+) vs GOT7-MAD (91k+). BTS were the 2nd best seller after EXO in 2015

- Better Digital

On 2015 Gaon Year End Digital Chart : BTS-I Need U charted at #90, while GOT7 didn't charted at all

- Better Charting internationally :

BTS-HYYH Pt 2 chart on US BB200 at #171 and Oricon Japan at #15, while GOT7 never have any entry on US BB200 and on Oricon Japan their highest peak in 2015 was at #32 with 'Just Right' album

- Higher Youtube Views, I don't have the exact number, but by the end of 2015 BTS-Dope have more views than GOT7-Just Right

For me it's not just 'Love Shot', iirc DMUMT is their best charting album internationally as well. So, better physical sales, bigger hit song (arguable maybe), and better charting worldwide.

I don't think The War was as strong as their other era I mention above imo, I only put Growl, EXODUS, and DMUMT bcs

-Growl era (2013) - EXO biggest hit song

-EXODUS era (2015) - most music show wins for a single song by EXO (CMB/LMR, I forget), out of all EXO album EXODUS got the most Daesang, they did their biggest tour during this era as well

-DMUMT era (2018) - EXO best selling album ever, 'Love Shot' was a hit/pretty big and also it's their most viewed MV

By "cleaner", I simply mean that there's a dramatic shift in the number of wins achieved per generation in a given year, which is what happened in 2015-2016.

So for boy groups, I agree that the Third Generation started with EXO. However, for girl groups, many people say that it started in 2014 with the debut of Mamamoo/Red Velvet, which is what I went with here (since the graph is girl groups-only).

Oh yeah, I missed the word "GirlGroup" over there. Tho now I feel like I can't find that much correlation between that graph and the intial post in the OP. Since the graph is only for GG, while the post is taking account all artists (including soloist).

Yeah I think this relates to my post immediately above yours. The transitions between Gen 1-Gen 2 and Gen 2-Gen 3 were much "cleaner", while Gen 3-Gen 4 is much "messier". Perhaps the 4th Generation didn't really start in 2018.

I don't think the transition btwn Gen2-Gen3 is "cleaner" compared to Gen3-Gen4 tbh (if I understand the term correctly). At the beginning of 3rd gen, 2nd gen artists are still dominate as well iirc. Also looking at your graph, somehow it seems to indicate that 3rd gen starts from 2014? but I think ppl in general considered 2012 as the start of 3rd gen, yk I believe most ppl categorize EXO as 3rd gen group and they debuted in 2012 and their 1st win was in 2013 iirc.

That criteria seems pretty weird ngl. Also, seems to ignore other relevant metric like physical sales, touring power, international popularity, etc.

When putting together the list, I was actually thinking of replacing Mamamoo with Kara and Shinee with Sechs Kies myself.

By your estimation, what do you think gives Kara/Sechs Kies the edge over Mamamoo/Shinee?

KARA bcs of Japan, their legacy in Japan alone is enough to put them inside top 10 imo.

For Sechs Kies, they used to be H.O.T direct rival during both groups peak, while Shinee never been a main rival for other 2nd gen BG on the list (TVXQ, BB, SJ). Also, I feel like Sechs Kies hit song are more recognizable than Shinee's in Korea, 'Sechs Kies-Couple' alone is bigger than any Shinee songs combined imo (I don't really have number/data to back up this claim tho).