BILLBOARD: 2NE1 being pioneers

• K-Pop Queen CL on Her Indie Comeback: ‘My Album Is Like Me Writing a Book’

As the charismatic standout of 2NE1, she helped pave the way for K-pop’s explosion. But after years of red tape stymied her career, she’s ready to unleash her vision — this time as an independent artist.

The colors CL wore were as loud as her message. Sporting knee-high boots and a Froot Loop-hued puffy jacket, she led a squad of dancers through Seoul’s National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art with the authority of a drill sergeant. In a remote performance that felt more like a music video than a livestream when it aired in October, the former member of pioneering South Korean girl group 2NE1 was making her return to the spotlight on The Late Late Show With James Corden, where in 2016 she became the first K-pop artist to appear on its stage. “I’m baaaack!” she sneered into her mic before launching into her comeback single, a gritty hip-hop banger called “+HWA+.” “Don’t let your eyes wander away,” she later rapped in Korean before switching back to English: “You can’t kill me.”

Once the pacesetter for K-pop’s Western migration, CL, whose new music freely mixes Korean and English, is returning to a U.S. music scene that has changed immensely. Cultural and language barriers are no longer the obstacles they once were, and the idea of “crossing over” is practically outdated. Today, K-pop artists like Blackpink and BTS are as embedded in the American mainstream as Samsung, and Latin artists like Bad Bunny and J Balvin need no translation to gain traction in the United States. The biggest global acts win fans and top the charts without compromising their visions.

Years before K-pop companies were regularly striking partnerships with American labels or opening U.S. divisions, 2NE1 crossed borders. In 2012, the act became the first K-pop girl group to go on a world tour, which included arena dates in Newark, N.J., and Los Angeles. Its 2014 album, Crush, was the then-highest-charting K-pop album on the Billboard 200, reaching No. 61 at a time when major-label interest in Korean music was still nascent. “I believe I did something to the culture,” CL says with ease. “It’s up to people how they digest it, but I definitely believe I played a part in building K-pop.”

Full interview and article here : https://www.billboard.com/arti…social&utm_source=twitter

Nice to finally see 2ne1 giving the recognition they deserved, even if they ain’t no more, they left behind a great legacy !!!

• Anyone who thinks 2NE1 wasn't HUGE is either lying to themselves or wasn't around to experience them at the height of their popularity.

They would've sold out their AON tour if it was worldwide. I remember so many of their international fans complaining that they had only kept in Asia.

Yeah many who discredit them weren’t around during their height. Like with most of them.

• Read the whole article it went till 2016.

2016 was when CL made a proper move + even went on a north American tour

Her single flopped & the tour only sold about 60% or something

I don't think it's a mystery as to why CL never released an album or more English singles under YG/scooter management... They actually tried but it's clear the market wasn't there for her

• Imagine 2ne1 being this huge but YG can just disband them? So don’t feel cocky about BP Blinks. YG is one unpredictable company.

So you are going to ignore all the drama around 2ne1 before they disbanded? Park Bom scandal, them being on hiatus, Minzy living, also their first round of contract ended. They didn’t disappeared just like that, they had a Goodbye single for the fans.

Also every company can be unpredictable, maybe nobody should be to cocky lol

• 2016 was when CL made a proper move + even went on a north American tour

Her single flopped & the tour only sold about 60% or something

I don't think it's a mystery as to why CL never released an album or more English singles under YG/scooter management... They actually tried but it's clear the market wasn't there for her

What’s your point? This is more an appreciation for them, they disbanded so no need for this.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!