What do you think about the up-coming "The Lord of the Rings" TV series?

• filming! there were two gaps because of covid and one was also made longer because Henry Cavill had an injury.

But there is good news that since the beginning of February they are filming 6 days per week, and like all the time days and nights!

there is also ongoing casting to spin-off/prequel "The Witcher: Blood Origin" which will be set 1200 years before the main series. At this point, it seems like limited 6 episodes series, but you know how it is... if it will be a hit then they will probably make more seasons.

Awesome! I can't wait to see these!

So many prequels around the corner :claps:

• i'm happy they're making it a prequel

Yeah, this is the best decision. A remake would attract backlash.

Also, I find it interesting that they avoided going the "Let's make a prequel with young Aragorn" route or something similar and they chose a very distant period of time where there might be just only 1-2 characters that we know in the story. This way they might avoid some comparisons and critiques from the fans when it comes to beloved characters.

• I heard it was also expensive af to make it lol. They spend at least 1 billion dollars until now for it.

Amazon has more money than god but a billion dollar for a show is too much. I would assume this include acquiring the rights for the TV show and not just production expenses, right? Or a sizeable portion of that is marketing. Hollywood likes to splurge on their marketing budget.

Regardless, that's a heck of an investment. That's not even a guarantee the show will be good.

• Amazon has more money than god but a billion dollar for a show is too much. I would assume this include acquiring the rights for the TV show and not just production expenses, right? Or a sizeable portion of that is marketing. Hollywood likes to splurge on their marketing budget.

Regardless, that's a heck of an investment. That's not even a guarantee the show will be good.

Yes, from what I know that sum of money includes the rights for Tolkien's books as well, around $250 millions. They went against Netflix and Warner Bros in order to acquire those rights. I also read that they have planned more than one season already.

I do wonder how much of a success it will be. Jeff Bezos went all out for this production, he said he wants to have a fantasy show like Game of Thrones (I asume popularity-wise) and he was directly involved in the bidding and negotiations to acquire the books' rights.

• Yes, from what I know that sum of money includes the rights for Tolkien's books as well, around $250 millions. They went against Netflix and Warner Bros in order to acquire those rights. I also read that they have planned more than one season already.

I do wonder how much of a success it will be. Jeff Bezos went all out for this production, he said he wants to have a fantasy show like Game of Thrones (I asume popularity-wise) and he was directly involved in the bidding and negotiations to acquire the books' rights.

Yeah, everyone that is not Disney do want a Game of Thrones kind of success in their platforms and the Lord of the Rings franchise is a no brainer. Book fans aside, there's a built-in mainstream fan base already as the movies were successful and even the Hobbit trilogy made bank.

Throwing all the money in the world doesn't make it good so I think in this case, this would either crash and burn spectacularly or it would be a hit. I don't think a middle ground where it's just passable or average would justify the production cost.

• Yeah, everyone that is not Disney do want a Game of Thrones kind of success in their platforms and the Lord of the Rings franchise is a no brainer. Book fans aside, there's a built-in mainstream fan base already as the movies were successful and even the Hobbit trilogy made bank.

Throwing all the money in the world doesn't make it good so I think in this case, this would either crash and burn spectacularly or it would be a hit. I don't think a middle ground where it's just passable or average would justify the production cost.

I agree with you. I'm really curious to see how it will turn out.

Not gonna lie, I hope it will be a success as I enjoy LOTR and the fantasy genre, having more TV series' and seasons to watch would be something nice for me.

• Well, There are 2 Big projects currently filming in New Zealand :- 1) Avatar 2-3

2) LOTR prequel TV series

I am pretty excited for this. I love GOT except last 3 episodes. I wonder how will they expand on the story, they have to take inspires from Tolkien's books/letters now that Christopher Tolkien has passed away, it will be much harder to maintain faithfulness to original material especially the maps

I love Pikachu.

Always have, Always will.

"Pika-Pi"

• I agree with you. I'm really curious to see how it will turn out.

Not gonna lie, I hope it will be a success as I enjoy LOTR and the fantasy genre, having more TV series' and seasons to watch would be something nice for me.

Yeah I hope so too. It's a win-win for everyone if it is.

• Well, There are 2 Big projects currently filming in New Zealand :- 1) Avatar 2-3

2) LOTR prequel TV series

I am pretty excited for this. I love GOT except last 3 episodes. I wonder how will they expand on the story, they have to take inspires from Tolkien's books/letters now that Christopher Tolkien has passed away, it will be much harder to maintain faithfulness to original material especially the maps

They have The Silmarillion to reference some of the events in the Second Age which the show will be based on.

• But they're not remaking the movies. The action will be set 1000 years before the movies' action, the source material will the JRR Tolkien's "Silmarillion", I think, which is a collection of stories from the The First Age until the Third Age (with The War of The Ring).

Well, then it's alright :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!