[Naver] Government plans to phase out 'Korean age' by standardizing age counting

• society

Government plans to phase out 'Korean age' by standardizing age counting

Monday, April 11, 2022

PYH2022041106770001300_P4_20220411213511054.jpg
    Article: Will people get younger by a year or two next year? Commission of Presidential Transition works to standardize age counting

Source: Yonhap News via Naver

1. [+550, -23] It's been so confusing, I'm glad it's being standardized. It never made sense to be counted as two years old the moment you're born ㅋㅋ

2. [+234, -14] I welcome this change. It's so ridiculous that a baby born on December 31st is counted as two years old the next day. It's because of such ridiculous practices that there are some mothers who try to hold out for as long as possible to give birth. This whole practice started in China and they don't even follow it anymore so it makes no sense that we're the only country in the world that still follows it.

3. [+113, -4] Should've been standardized a long time ago. It made no sense to have to be two ages.

4. [+109, -11] What also needs to change along with this is our culture of judging status by age ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+75, -4] We have no problem following the traditions of other advanced countries like the US or Japan so I don't know why we've been so stubborn on this age tradition for so long ㅋㅋ

6. [+19, -2] I studied abroad in Canada and the US for 12 years and it was so frustrating having to explain how the Korean age system works... I totally support this change.

7. [+14, -1] Why didn't we standardize it sooner? It's been in talks for so long and it always just gets dragged out.

8. [+13, -0] Standardize it

9. [+10, -1] Such a ridiculous tradition where a baby born on December 31st is 2 years old the next day...

10. [+10, -2] With the standardized age, I will be two years younger. That's awesome, feels like I've gained free time.

-

Source: Nate

1. [+4,736, -174] Please standardize it!!!!! Get rid of this confusing tradition of turning two years old the day after you're born

2. [+3,827, -163] I'm all for this ㅋㅋ it's finally becoming a reality ㅜㅠ

3. [+3,506, -217] I hope people also change their mindset of demanding respect just for being 1-2 years older than someone. As someone born in December, I support this change~

4. [+368, -11] This should've always been the norm. When would it ever make sense to turn two years old the moment you're born?

5. [+310, -11] Let's hopefully change our culture into one not so obsessed with age. Not sure why we are always asking to know a stranger's age...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I read that people who were counted two years older because of their birthday demanded respect from people for being older than them even through they were actually a year younger or the same age internationally.

I think this is very welcoming for a lot and frustrating to those who took advantage of the age counting tradition.

• :pepe-shame:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Really hope they get rid off that age system.

"Don’t judge a book by its cover. Everybody has a reason and everybody has a story. I hope people don’t judge a person based on what they see." Kim Taehyung

b9067265d2fcc30fa3ee1ba591881fc0865471a4.jpg

• i didn't realize that jk's korean age is 26

External Content twitter.com

:pepe-life-support:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!