Competition was fierce at 2019, 2020 and 2021 Best Actress at Baeksang (Korean Emmy Award) - Lee Seyoung might snag it without any pain in 2022

• The Baeksang award gives awards movies, TV and others, but the TV award is the most prestigious and is considered to be Korea's Emmy's.

Every year, the competition is fierce..

I will only do actresses

Kim Hyeja - Veteran actress - Ultimate Grand Prize (higher than Best Actress)

Yum Jungah - Best Actress

Kim Seohyung, both from Sky Castle

Kim Taeri (mostly a movie actress), for Mr Sunshine

Lee Jieun (the Singer - yes I get to mention here at here too) for My Mister

Kim Heeae, for the World of the Married - Best Actress

Kim Hyesoo

Kong Hyojin

Son Yejin

Lee Jieun

Kim Soyeon, for Penthouse series - Best Actress

Shin Hyesun

Seo Yeji

Um Jiwon

Kim Sohyun

Each year, only one under-30 actress was nominated, and Lee Jieun (two times) and Kim Sohyun were shubbed

But, in 2022,

there is no competition

against Lee Seyoung of Red Sleeve (one cannot win twice for the same show which rules out Kim Soyeon and others in Penthouse)

While she is 31 in Korean age she was born in late 1992 so she would be 29 years and change in western reckoning.

Lee Jieun failed twice

Kim Sohyun failed once

but

Lee Seyoung snags the Best Actress award in one shot.

• Lee Seyoung, absolutely deserves it.

Though Kim Min-Jung was fantastic in The Devil Judge, she always is impressive.

As to your shade towards Senior Singer, it is as idiotic as comparing Kep1er to her.

Lee Jieun is nowhere near the experience Lee Se Young has or the opportunities to shape her acting, so her getting nominated itself was a big deal, compared to the full time actors/actresses.

But IU has been good in proving you wrong, all through 20s, she has done so in singing. So keep it up, she might do the same in acting, in her 30s.

BTW, Lee Seyoung has also paid 'filial' duty, though older than IU, she even called her "unni"

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/01/netizens-think-the-red-sleeve-actress-lee-se-young-may-be-a-hardcore-fan-of-singer-iu

• isn't this that award show with strange eligible period?

sometimes it looks like they count dramas from 1.5 year...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Lee See Young has been acting since she was 5. She definitely has a lot more experience than IU.

IU has also improved a lot, I never took IU seriously as an actress until My Mister (one of the best Kdramas). I am glad it won the best drama at the 55th Baeksang awards. IU has a lot of time to win prestigious awards in the drama world. I would love to see her join the likes of Jang Nara, Lee Jung Hyun, and Uhm Jung Hwa that won Deasangs for their music then went on to win Best Actress at prestigious award shows like Grand Bell Awards, Blue Dragon film Awards, Baeksang Art Awards.

• Well, there is still time. I think the eligibility period is until April or May this year. Last year a lot of good kdramas were released in Jan-Feb-March so the competition got stronger. Beyond Evil was released one month before the award gala and stole everything.

Somehow I don't feel like Lee Seyoung's acting was that impressive. It was average for me, not even close to Kim Soyeon, Kim Heeae or Kim Seohyung's performance (ofc there is a big gap in terms of experience).

But year, last year there wasn't anything memorable, so if nothing interesting will be released this year, I guess that's it.

But what about Jung Ho Yeon for Squid Game? Her acting was really appreciated, so if SG is eligible, she might even win.

I think Han So Hee will also be nominated. Park Eun Bin too?

Lmao, I could easily make a top 10 for best actors for last year, but it's so hard for actresses, they barely receive a good role.

• LSY's acting is not at a par with the more experienced ones but her character was basically the only one female character which got wide recognition in the period covered

JHY was of a supporting role and Lee Jungjae has locked the best actor award so it is unlikely that they will give two awards to one show . At best JHY will be eligible for the rookie award.

HSH will be nominated but her drama was kind of an afterglow of Squid Game so will be in a disadvantage and they won't give both awards to the same streaming media company

LSY does have experience so that will probably help

• One advantage Lee Seyoung has over others is her role is the leading role while every other roles one can come out is supporting role. Kim Minjung's role was subordinate to Ji Sung's role in there

Lee Jieun was nominated not once, but twice (no pun intended) but each year there were people she could not beat (Kim Hyeja, Kim Heeae)

and same for Kim Sohyun since the award was going to go to Penthouse.

But Lee Seyoung did catch the chance of a lifetime, since this year there is no serious competition.

• Just checked and Jung Ho Yeon was the main lead, even Ha Joon had the main role. Lee Jungjae for sure will get actor of the year (even tho personally, Oh Young Soo deserves it), but that doesn't stop others to receive an award too. They don't limit to only one award per show.

Well, I agree that there might be a problem since they were released by Netflix, idk what is behind the scenes, this might be a disadvantage.

• Are the nominations even out?

I don't follow Kdrama that much. So should not be rooting for Se-Young, maybe there are other good performances.

Being the youngest to get the Baeksang best actress, I don't think anyone should be wishing that for IU, after all it is not her primary field, if she eventually earns and wins it, that is ok.

And her not winning it ever or not being the youngest does not not matter much to me either.

Though you have already started using it for your eccentric IU bragging.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!