US cold snap: Why is Texas seeing Arctic temperatures?

• https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56058372

Texas is known for its sprawling deserts and excruciating heatwaves - but right now, it's blanketed in a thick layer of ice.

The state is seeing some of its coldest temperatures in more than 30 years, with some areas breaking records that are more than a century old.

Parts of Texas hit 0F (-18C) on Sunday, and weather warnings are going to stay in place through the week.

So why is this normally boiling state suddenly freezing over?

According to the US National Weather Service (NWS), this is down to an "Arctic outbreak" that originated just above the US-Canada border, bringing a winter snow storm as well as plummeting temperatures.

Cold air outbreaks such as these are normally kept in the Arctic by a series of low-pressure systems, the NWS said. However, this one moved through Canada and spilled out into the US last week.

Temperatures in the city of Dallas for example will reach a high of 14F (-10C) on Monday when it should be more like 59F (15C) at this time of year.

For the first time in the US state, all 254 counties are under a winter storm warning, US media report. The temperature in Dallas is already colder than in Anchorage, Alaska, CBS News reports. Texas map

In a statement on Sunday night, President Joe Biden declared an emergency in Texas, which authorises US agencies to co-ordinate disaster relief in the state.

Rotating power outages have been initiated by the state's power grid operator, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (Ercot), early on Monday, to reduce demand on the electricity system.

"Traffic lights and other infrastructure may be temporarily without power," it added in a tweet. media captionUS: Extreme cold weather continues

It has also issued a level-three energy emergency alert, urging consumers to reduce electricity use.

Nearly 120 car accidents were reported on Sunday, Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña tweeted.

Hundreds of flights in and out of the state have also been cancelled.

The weather has already proved deadly. On Thursday, icy roads led to a massive crash involving more than 100 vehicles in Fort Worth, killing six people and leaving dozens more needing hospital treatment. media captionHow a deadly crash with over 100 cars began on an icy Texas highway

"The expansive dome of sub-freezing temperatures across the northern tier of the country has laid the foundation for winter storms to wreak havoc from coast to coast, not only going into this weekend, but also into next week," the NWS said in a statement released on Friday.

Weather warnings for severe winter conditions are going to remain in place until at least Tuesday, when the weather system will begin to move north.

Amarillo will see a high temperature of just 2F (-17C), breaking the city's previous record of 12F (-11C) that was set in 1895, a forecaster from the service's Weather Prediction Centre, Marc Chenard, told Reuters news agency. Odessa, TexasIMAGE COPYRIGHTREUTERS image captionThese are some of the state's coldest temperatures for more than 30 years

Similarly, Lubbock will only reach a high of 9F (-13C). These temperatures are "40 to 50 degrees [Fahrenheit] below average", Mr Chenard said.

Parts of Oklahoma and the Texas panhandle are predicted to see as much as a foot of snow this week, while Dallas will have four inches.

Mr Chenard warns of more dangerous road conditions in Houston, caused by sleet and freezing rain.

• i'm in Texas and i got caught in the storm yesterday and it was horrible. the power in my house went out so i had to leave and go to a close family's house. On the way the car almost spun out of control three times. Luckily i'm safe now but pls stay safe and stay inside with your family. Don't go outside, it's not even snow anymore in my area it's just ice and it's very slippery. I don't know who this will be useful too but just in case someone doesn't know this, if you do go outside make sure to not step on the ice and step on the snow instead, be careful where you step and how you step. Stay safe everyone

• lol wind came from Arctic for few days and people are complaining...

maybe some chicos will finally see snow for the first time in their life lol

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Also here in Texas I had no power for days and finally had a friend come get me. I’m safe now but my apartment dropped in the negatives last night. This storm is no joke since the state couldn’t keep power on for people.

7 or Nothing Spreading the GOTspel Choi Youngjae

• https://www.washingtonexaminer…en-energy-was-needed-most

The shutdown of a nuclear reactor in Texas has contributed to the state's power shortage crisis caused by extreme cold weather.

One of two reactors shut down at the South Texas Nuclear Power Station an hour southwest of Houston, knocking out about half of its 2,700 megawatts of generating capacity.

The plant, which is one of the newer ones in the country, normally provides power to more than 2 million Texas homes.

The second reactor at the plant, which is operating as normal, is currently providing more than 1,300 megawatts of electricity.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!