one song that is the most meaningful to you and why?

• for me it’s you’re beautiful by james blunt.

i have the sweetest memory associated with it. my dad used to play this song on repeat in the car whenever we’d go on long drives at night to get ice cream. i think we had a CD of james blunt’s hits but this song along with goodbye my lover were the only ones we’d enjoy listening to. if i recall correctly, i couldn’t have been older than four back then.

this masterpiece has stuck with me through all these years. i could go years and years without listening to it but the chords and lyrics will always feel familiar. will always feel like home. i’ve never been able to hear you’re beautiful without thinking of one of my happiest memories with my dad and of my life in general. it’s the kind of song that just transports you to another place makes you relive a bittersweet memory over and over again but in a good way.

my dad is still cool and the best but we do have some differences that get to me sometimes. not to mention, life isn’t as simple as pretending to doze off in the backseat just so your dad could carry you. still, it’s nice having such a pleasant early memory with my dad and james blunt’s incredible vocals in the back just amplify the whole experience tbh

• Duk Koo Kim by Sun Kil Moon.

The song references Korean boxer Duk Koo Kim who had once in a lifetime title fight against Ray Mancini, a much stronger boxer against whom he had no chance. But Duk Koo Kim decided ahead of the fight that he would win or he would die.

He died.

He lasted 14 rounds and refused to ever throw in the towel.

In the hotel room where he stayed the night before, he had written on the lampshade:

"Live or die".

In the song, ruminating on this and mortality in general, the vocalist sings,

"I'd rather leave this world forever, baby, then let life go the way it's going"

I spent my entire teen years in a suicidally depressed void. But then I realised that I could live or die. I could change my life or I could die trying. I'd die if I didn't.

So I did. To this day whenever life throws its punches at me, I think of Duk Koo Kim and the iron resolve to just push through no matter what.

• This song, the lyrics touch me everytime.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm here to offer my heart

Who said that everything's lost?
    I'm here to offer my heart,
    So much blood carried away by the river,
    I'm here to offer my heart.

It's not going to be easy, I know how it is,
    It's not going to be as easy as I thought,
    As opening the chest and getting the soul out,
    A stab from love.

Moon of the poor, always open,
    As an unalterable document

And I'll join the ends of the same ribbon,
    And I'll go away quietly, slowly,
    And I'll give you everything, and you'll give me something,
    Something to relieve me a little more.

When there's no one near or far,
    When satellites are not enough,

And I speak about countries and hopes,
    I speak for life, I speak for nothing,
    I speak about changing this new house,
    Just changing for the sake of it, no more.

Who said that everything's lost?

https://lyricstranslate.com

• I have many meaningful songs but one of them is BTS - Tomorrow.

Back when that song came out it was the only thing that pushed me to stay alive for the next day. Younger me didn't discover anything else or anyone else that dictated such.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Long story short, I struggle with extremely bad self esteem and a day doesn't go by where I don't think about how lazy or unproductive I've been. Covid made this a lot worse. But when I discovered this song, it makes me feel better about that. Like, it's okay to stop and pause if you don't know where you're going. It's not shameful or lazy to rest if you need to.

These lyrics are so comforting to me.

'If having a future is the only dream existing

Then what is the dream you had last night in your bed?

It's alright if the name of the dream is different

Be it buying a laptop next month

Or just eating and sleeping

Not doing anything at all yet still having a lot of money

Who says a dream must be something grand

Just become anybody

We deserve a life

Whatever big or small, you are you after all'.

• External Content www.youtube.com

External Content www.youtube.com

Honestly, the whole "BE" album speaks to me not only because of how it was released during the worldwide pandemic but because of how it was during this period, where everyone was facing hardships in one way or another.

Never in my life would I think that something would affect me so much, along with the billions of others. This thought made me feel both depressed, and strong.

Strong in a way that can persevere and go on with life with a new perspective.

My mental health took a downfall this time, and I constantly felt alone and tired. At times, even s*****l. I just wanted to fade away, but to also comfort and love myself.

But I would not be here if it wasn't for that little voice that grew stronger and stronger every day. From within me, a quiet song, a quiet voice, was urging me to go and walk on a bit further.

And I walked, observing thoughts and perspectives that I never put much thought into.

Never would I think that I would be here, but I am.

That will forever be enough for me.

In regards to these songs, they both express the feelings that I felt during this time.

And even though I continue to feel these feelings in my life, I understand them better and how to comfort myself.

work in progress

• External Content youtu.be

the message of the song coupled with the ferry disaster - the symbolism/lyrics...everything lol

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!