What's your opinion on bitcoin/cryptocurrency?

• I genuinely don't know what to make of it. Some of my friends are obsessed with it or dogecoin saying it's like free money that multiplies fast and the other ones call it a waste of money or bubble that will burst in no time.

I have nothing to add to this conversation except

External Content youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Desbundar

• It has applications other than directly as a pure coin

I feel like its blockchain verification capability does well on a Decentralzied Social media platform something purely DM based or smth or as an in-game currency to prevent cheaters.

One thing that I felt that it could have solved was the PD48 vote rigging, if the users were able run verification of votes and then receive rewards in terms of PD crypto to buy small merch or something -- Mnet wouldn't have to push a ton into their IT department, setting up centralized servers for collecting votes etc and etc. Plus they can mine their own and sell to customers who don't want to mine and then have that exchanged for merch as well there was so many opportunities but crypto wasn't there yet sadly.

It is wasted as a pure coin.

• Environmentally-damaging bubble. A currency that isn't widely used or accepted to pay for goods has little intrinsic value.

it has a very good technology behind it. its like a massive 18 wheeler moving one package at a time -- its unnecessary for its current task. Blockchain Verification has so much potential outside of managing crypto, honestly. It is the strongest decentralized verification tool we have yet and we're using it to support an empty coin smh its good but not in currency.

• it has a very good technology behind it. its like a massive 18 wheeler moving one package at a time -- its unnecessary for its current task. Blockchain Verification has so much potential outside of managing crypto, honestly. It is the strongest decentralized verification tool we have yet and we're using it to support an empty coin smh its good but not in currency.

I don't see the value in decentralised verification. Certainly not at the cpu cost involved.

Throw me a use case.

• I don't see the value in decentralised verification. Certainly not at the cpu cost involved.

Throw me a use case.

Oceanhero uses that to quickly expand and keep tabs on groups they sponsor to help pick up plastic from the ocean; it does not require them to set up whole servers for new sites.

Communitiy AI training can allow a trained AI to exist "on-chain" and training by people can be kept track of by Blockchain verification. To load the trained neural net one simply needs to read back the stuff on chain and use it, no cost required. Ditching the "no branch" characteristic of current blockchains by adding branch markers could allow multiple versions of the AI to exist, allowing specialization or separation into new AI all while automatically keeping the whole community in the loop.

Bittorrenting Tracker servers can be entirely ditched if Decentralized trackers were to go live keeping tabs on who has what data and to download from where. It is by far the strongest file-hosting service that has no centralized organization (and because of that pirates use it --I frown upon that but I get where they come from)

User trust can be build for voting shows like PD if the users can see when, how much, and who got the votes -- and if privacy permitting -- who voted for who if the votes were tallied by blockchain technology, they could effectively read back the receipts of the votes to see if there was vote rigging etc. and etc. Further since Blockchains do not have to be purely for one function, the users could get crypto kickback for their efforts in verification and use that for merch. The company could join in and verify and receive crypto as well to sell crypto to users who do not want to spend cpu/gpu power to verify and gain crypto for their store.

hybridizing blockchains to include other functions is key to save crypto from purely money hungry users.

• Oceanhero uses that to quickly expand and keep tabs on groups they sponsor to help pick up plastic from the ocean; it does not require them to set up whole servers for new sites.

But there is no need to set up servers for new sites anyway. There hasn't been for like a decade. The most efficient way to do this kind of thing is through Azure or AWS. These services are infinitely scalable and they generate very little computational waste. Many of their farms are 100% renewable.

Bittorrenting Tracker servers can be entirely ditched if Decentralized trackers were to go live keeping tabs on who has what data and to download from where. It is by far the strongest file-hosting service that has no centralized organization (and because of that pirates use it --I frown upon that but I get where they come from)

How is this functionally different from P2P networks? In those cases neighbouring inventories are cached on peer nodes, so you can see that a file exists and is available even if the holder is currently offline.

User trust can be build for voting shows like PD if the users can see when, how much, and who got the votes -- and if privacy permitting -- who voted for who if the votes were tallied by blockchain technology, they could effectively read back the receipts of the votes to see if there was vote rigging etc. and etc.

This is another solved problem: Independent adjudicators generally audit results.

Shows do not want to either disclose granular voting information OR anonymise them at the source as the demographic data they get from the voting is valuable to them and their advertisers.

Communitiy AI training can allow a trained AI to exist "on-chain" and training by people can be kept track of by Blockchain verification. To load the trained neural net one simply needs to read back the stuff on chain and use it, no cost required. Ditching the "no branch" characteristic of current blockchains by adding branch markers could allow multiple versions of the AI to exist, allowing specialization or separation into new AI all while automatically keeping the whole community in the loop.

I'm too dumb to know what this means, but I think "community AI training" is something we might already be leveraging without crypto, through centralised services like Google.

• How is this functionally different from P2P networks? In those cases neighbouring inventories are cached on peer nodes, so you can see that a file exists and is available even if the holder is currently offline.

I was saying a subsystem of P2P networks could be discarded. Further, New torrents could be broadcast that way without the use of sites like the pirate bay.

The point that I'm making about Blockchain is that it is the strongest tool we have to push for decentralization, despite having a centralized-dominant internet.

• I was saying a subsystem of P2P networks could be discarded. Further, New torrents could be broadcast that way without the use of sites like the pirate bay.

The point that I'm making about Blockchain is that it is the strongest tool we have to push for decentralization, despite having a centralized-dominant internet.

Right, and I guess I don't see the problem with centralisation. And in terms of companies and governments, well, they benefit from centralisation.

I suppose the cost argument is there but then we're again talking about what currency actually is. And to me, it's just a token representing energy, and suddenly every blockchain tech starts to look very expensive.

It doesn't surprise me that silicon tech bros are gung-ho on it as they are a bunch of libertarians in general.

Anyway P2P broadcast is automatic and the blockchain itself IS a subsystem...

• Bitcoin itself is a gimmick. It's too limited to ever be adopted as a currency. And it uses way too much power. Most cryptos are more of a speculative market than of a currency. Only a few try to fix all the problems, and none is as big as bitcoin.

• idk i haven’t bothered trying to find out what it is or how it works. my brother is super into it though, just yesterday he was whining around all day for losing some money he invested in it so that was fun to watch ^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!