Which had more impact in kpop? SNSD's million seller or Blackpink's million seller?

• Both are massive achievements not just for ggs but overall.

But IMO SNSD is more significant and impactful particularly when context is applied because they were the first of their gen to reach that mythical number in a time when physicals were weak and hard to come by outside their release regions (and overpriced af if you lived outside Asia) and cemented them as the best selling group in kpop. Plus their electric success in Japan meant they were directly at forefront of leading everyone in kpop moving to Japan in a gold rush.

• what's with these ridiculous BP vs SNSD threads ??

These is at least the 3rd one I see here in last 2 days

Good to see SNSD is still relevant even without any comebacks tho :siptear:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And Seohyun can't care less :teeheek:

• Both were pretty major. SNSD was the first kpop act since BoA to pull those numbers in Japan and iirc was in the top 5 best-selling albums that year, up there with domestic artists like AKB. Was the peak of Japan's jpop craze that hasn't been seen since and likely won't ever. I'd say iconic but not that impactful cuz politics

Even girl groups from the era where physicals were the only way you could consume an album weren't able to pull the numbers BP does. I'd say its more impactful because now other groups are trying to meet or beat it

• I think SNSD’s is impressive in the fact that not only were girl groups not pulling those numbers, but they were doing significantly higher numbers than boy groups as well.

Blackpink’s is impressive because we are in a digital era where streaming is the norm, yet they are breaking physical records for girl groups from almost two decades ago.

In terms of impact, I’d have to argue SNSD, just because relative to what other groups were doing at the time, they were an anomaly.

• Why not both? I would at least put them on the same level, SNSD for doing it during a period where bgs dominated physicals and on a difficult market like japan. BP have the best selling album of all times by decent margin (nearly 1.5m by now), that alone is insane no matter the context. They also appeared on ifpi top 5 which accounts for all artists not just kpop

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!