what kpop generations change in your life?

• every day the same thread about some group not being of a certain generation that most consider it to be

:pepewhat:

my god who cares if you don't consider such a group as 4th generation because it's 3rd

:pepe-back-away:

if I want from that thread the 5th generation of kpop is started and no one will change my mind

• We really out here turning k-pop idols into Pokemon

BILLLIE is the first 5th gen girlgroup

congratulations!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• exactly like this is not something official just stop fighting over it XD

I mean it is kinda .

First of all English is not my first language so excuse my English .

And this is my own observation being a kpop fans since 2006/2007 .

So, take.it with a grain of salt .

alot of documentaries like kpop evolution mention it .

The even mention the half gen like 1.5 gen .

And even the artist themself sometimes say it themself especially the first gen .

They says it pretty often when talking about the past

Like "he's the best dancer among 'il sadae'(first gen) idol"

What people mistake about alot is it's not about the year or new group from big 4 debuting meaning new gen .

It need a shift or a changes in the industry .

1st gen is basically the emergence of kpop as a whole . H.o.t, sechkies, fin.k.l, s.e.s

The controversial 1.5 gen is just a point when its popularity braches to Asia market marking the first hallyu wave . BoA, rain, Se7en .

2nd gen is when the hallyu wave really make it move to the Asian market and the market gradually shift to more digital driven , hence why the physical sales is not that impressive .

With the release of WG-nobody getting big in the us some company begin to try to make advance into the western market .

3rd gen is when company start to make group to cater the international audience instead just Korean from the start of the group .

Plus the emergence of official SNS account . FB, Twitter, Instagram .

When during 2nd gen they mainly used Korean SNS . And u have to search for translation blog to get updated.

4th gen is basically post BTS blow up .

With alot of YouTube influence .

Company make it more daring into targeting international audience and even often abandon the Korean audience in favor of more international focused group.

Abandon might be a bit too far but I can't find the right word for it .

And the comeback of physical album market .

• For most people it's only about the achievements.

But it's useful to refer to different eras of K-pop. Makes it easier to contextualize similarities and differences.

But I don't think the boundaries are rigid. There's always a transitional period between generations.

• dude there is no official dates to when a generation starts...

everyone knows generations is a term used in kpop to refer to certain times but there are no set dates..

The OP is about people fighting over generations which applies to my reply :pepefacepalm:

• Yep, I couldn't care less about the generations:flying:

But I guess it gives people the ability to rank the groups within certain generation or compare the achievements. For me, it's just stating the obvious that the groups who debuted 10 years ago will have a different concept and release different music than the groups who debut this year. But I find arguing about the generations a bit useless.

• dude there is no official dates to when a generation starts...

everyone knows generations is a term used in kpop to refer to certain times but there are no set dates..

The OP is about people fighting over generations which applies to my reply :pepefacepalm:

That is literally what I said . It's not a date.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!