Is the word "girlie" offensive?

• I don't think it's offensive or used with those meanings, they seem overly exaggerated. More like used as an annoying call out? Idk, like when some people go "your oppas do x and x" they say "your girlies do x and x" (obviously using oppa has its own issues, but I think its the same vibe), kinda like calling someone "sweetie" etc

Edit: my bad I thought the meanings were saying girlies meant girls that show skin lol I think the meanings are spot on but it's not offensive. It also depends on who is saying too.

• It can be offensive or patronizing if used incorrectly or in the wrong age group. I would be most insulted if someone called me that at my age. I am a grown woman, not a girl or "girly." I am also not a model in some men's magazine.

• Depends on the context and intent that it's being used imo.

Like I say "come on, girlie" a lot to a friend at work when we're going on break or lunch or even going home and she does the same. It's not really meant as insult, just another word like "buddy, friend, etc"

However there have definitely been times when I've been talked down and called "girlie" in an insulting way. Like even being called "woman" can be insulting depending on who is saying it and the context.

• As an adjective, it's more often spelled as "girly" it seems and since we're on the internet, spelling is important to distinguish words and context.

If we are not friends and I start calling you "girlie" out of nowhere, I have the impression it might sound I'm trying to belittle you. It sounds very ironic.

yeah i've seen it spelt more as girly here in australia... and yes semantics are very important

that is true...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!