What's considered a "gp-friendly" song in your country?

• This timeline says Hip-hop is the most popular music genre in the US. And techno comes to a close second. :woow:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But how does that portion of the country consume music? Do they use Spotify? Radio only?

I’m side eyeing this data and looking at their attributions doesn’t convince me. Rock music is on the decline and Latin music on the ascendancy. EDM is not above country or Latin in penetration, let alone punk, which has always been pretty niche.

I went to check - MRC Data (Nielsen Music), aka numbers actually referenced and read in the industry which actually tracks such things doesn’t support what’s in these charts.

This is a long detailed report (and interesting as it touches on the growth of different Kpop groups), but it looks like this from a high level view and shows where people consume music. Country is a genre dominated heavily by regular (terrestrial) radio and are not big streamers. In contrast r&b and hip hop is heavily streamed:

3547A005-9E72-45C4-8F77-4872EBBA7DBF.jpg

You can find the report here:

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/files/2021/01/MRC_Billboard_YEAR_END_2020_US-Final.pdf

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Wow, rock fans are big physical album buyers, prolly vinyl collectors.

• It's hard to tell what's considered "gp" outside of Korea because our notion of "gp" is everything non-fandom-driven, right? And we don't have the concept of fandoms in most countries.

84855-jaehyun-think-png

Sertanejo is def public friendly in Brazil. I consider it the equivalent of "trot" in SK and "country" in the US. Nobody cares about either of these genres overseas (Ai Se Eu Te Pego/Achy Breaky Heart/I feel Like a Woman are few exceptions) but in their respective countries its a fever that most of people there listen to or at very least know/hear it playing often.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Sertanejo is def public friendly in Brazil. I consider it the equivalent of "trot" in SK and "country" in the US. Nobody cares about either of these genres overseas (Ai Se Eu Te Pego/Achy Breaky Heart/I feel Like a Woman are few exceptions) but in their respective countries its a fever that most of people there listen to or at very least know/hear it playing often.

Does the older generation enjoy this type of "country" music though? Most of them still listen to the same songs from 30 years ago over and over. ;(

• Honestly if you want a song that is like universally loved by this country that everyone knows and accepts then it's got to be something played regularly at sporting events. :smirks2:

Like Rock N Roll Part 2 is probably it. The dude being a giant pedophile didn't even make a blip.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Does the older generation enjoy this type of "country" music though? Most of them still listen to the same songs from 30 years ago over and over. ;(

Lol not sure about SK and US, but if its anything like here in Brazil where sertanejo de raiz ended up losing popularity to its "evolution" sertanejo universitário.. definitely ^^ i mean, Taylor Swift literally started as a country singer, and Avril Lavigne wanted to do country as well before going pop rock. So its definitely related, something that pass from one gen to another and evolve to be more "updated". I mean, Old Town Road? Mix between hip hop and country and a massive hit. Even my faves love trot ;(

External Content youtu.be

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I think you can easily make a hit just by making a kid sing your song here, I mean now not so much but a lot of hits were sang by kids

An example would be this song

External Content youtu.be

Other than that maybe add flamenco elements in the song as it is well liked and also they have to be songs that could play at a party

526d260695f1e6be7fc576a759a81ce9eccaa866.gifv8f41e2de19fd3e53503e1f9bbaecb661064e5000.gifv0a61d4ea7129206fb3db97ab12f606316444f603.gifv

I'm throwing you away for keeping me locked up

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!