What's considered a "gp-friendly" song in your country?

• oh man this is actually hard to think of because there are such clear divides. Like I guess something like Adele, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Bruno Mars, or Justin Bieber would be the closest to a cross generation/demographic gp hit.

But the large portion of country music fans who only listen to country and nothing else would tell you that all of that music is garbage so for them a gp hit would be something from Carrie Underwood or Luke Bryan.

• oh man this is actually hard to think of because there are such clear divides. Like I guess something like Adele, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Bruno Mars, or Justin Bieber would be the closest to a cross generation/demographic gp hit.

But the large portion of country music fans who only listen to country and nothing else would tell you that all of that music is garbage so for them a gp hit would be something from Carrie Underwood or Luke Bryan.

This timeline says Hip-hop is the most popular music genre in the US. And techno comes to a close second. :woow:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But how does that portion of the country consume music? Do they use Spotify? Radio only?

This is exactly what I came to say. I’m in California and not in the country parts so what I’d say is the GP is completely different than someone in Iowa. And yet I was super surprised to see WAP and The Weeknd and Bad Bunny be a hit across America! I feel like someone like Bruno Mars or Beyoncé crosses all cultural and geographic segments. I agree that there’s a large portion of the country into country music.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Depends on who you consider gp

If we're talking about radio airplay (and a big chunk of people only listen to whatever the radio is playing) soft acoustic ballads or classic rock seem to be popular. Ed Sheeran gets tons of airplay here.

If we're talking in general then I guess it's songs that are simple and easy to sing along. We have our own sort of equivalent to trot songs that everyone loves to hate on, but at the end of the day everyone knows them and they are considered classics. These however are never played in general radio stations that aren't dedicated to that specific genre.

Brazilian funk is the most popular in clubs nowadays.

• This is exactly what I came to say. I’m in California and not in the country parts so what I’d say is the GP is completely different than someone in Iowa. And yet I was super surprised to see WAP and The Weeknd and Bad Bunny be a hit across America! I feel like someone like Bruno Mars or Beyoncé crosses all cultural and geographic segments. I agree that there’s a large portion of the country into country music.

Yeah, we also have to take into consideration some countries are heterogenous and multicultural like the US, which makes it even harder to determine only one type of "gp".

• This timeline says Hip-hop is the most popular music genre in the US. And techno comes to a close second. :woow:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But how does that portion of the country consume music? Do they use Spotify? Radio only?

Some probably do use Spotify, but country radio is still very much a thing with lots of power. There was a huge fuss a couple of years ago when one of the top female country singers pointed out that women are generally squeezed out of airplay.

• I would say Sertanejo. It's most streamed genre. Even if some people, like me, hate it.

IMG_20210923_033524.jpg

For general listening habits, it's a bit different, but I have to find it.

The thing is, we have different sub-genres of country music.

What the youth considers "country music" and what is proeminently streamed by them is, on the other hand, most definitely hated by the older generations.

Should we take into consideration only the youth as the GP? :/

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!