What do you make of this opinion BH and Txt?

• Taken from Reddit. Has a lot of upvotes.

The reason I think this is unpopular is mainly because I’ve seen such unequivocal support of this title and its usage by both YJ and BH (beyond the usual fanwars). But even as a fan, I’ve started getting weirded out by how much it’s been used recently.

For a while now, every single media related to TXT’s Yeonjun coming from Bighit/Hybe’s headquarters has to brand him as an IT boy. It’s the headline of every article, a feature on their tiktok videos, weverse news, birthday posts, etc. At first I thought it was a cute way to interact with fans (because we fondly call him this on SNS), but now it’s obvious that they’re genuinely trying to make this his entire identity, and project that he and the band have a status within kpop that they honestly don’t have (at least not yet).

An it boy or girl is someone immensely popular. A name and a face which is instantly associated with the thing they represent. Think Jimin or Jennie (to take an obvious example) who have really become IT people because of their instant recognisability to the greater public thanks to their fame and branding. If we’re being real, no member of TXT fits that bill. Judging by obvious metrics such as streams, charting and monitoring online discourse, they’re really only known to their own fans and an insular kpop community. This really isn’t meant as an insult, because they are still sooo young in the career, but I doubt most K-GP would even know what the fourth gen meant, never mind who TXT or Yeonjun are. That’s not even considering their recognisability globally.

I’d also like to say that, while you can see that there’s no major discourse about whether Jimin and Jennie are the ruling it boy and girl of kpop, the mere fact that there’s at least five equally reasonable suggestions for a 4th gen it boy, makes the attempted owning of this title by one of them feel uncomfortable and forced. While I know some take issue with the monthly brand reputation rankings, the fact that Yeonjun doesn’t even have the highest brand reputation in his own group (Soobin has the highest within the group month after month, and the second-fifth positions are always changing) is an objective testament to that fact.

You don’t see idols who are actually well known by the gp (again, like Jimin and Jennie) EVER acknowledging their own reputation or brand, mainly because they don’t really have to. At their level, if they mentioned their real IT status half as much as BH and YJ do, I can imagine all the comments by K-Netz calling them arrogant and entitled.

It feels a lot like BH are overcompensating with this way of pushing Yeonjun forward, and they’re really taking the name thing too far. I’ve personally even started to feel awkward that the name is mentioned so frequently in front of the rest of the group. I fear that it will really start to turn fans off in the long run.

Bighit constantly pushing Yeonjun (TXT) the 4th Gen It Boy is becoming tacky
    The reason I think this is unpopular is mainly because I’ve seen such unequivocal support of this title and its usage by both YJ and BH (beyond...
    www.reddit.com

This is deliberate anon as I want to see what people truly think without being outed.

Approved the thread.
  • help. I can sense this is from a solo stan

• As a general kpop fan who doesn't even know who this guy is aside from being in txt apparently (according to your op), this is obvious mediaplay from bighit.

• Yeah it's kinda awkward when he's a complete nugu but MOA trying to convince everyone TXT are aces when not a single member is even a decent singer is worse

• I completely agree. It comes off as desperate.

The excuse that moas always give, that it's a nickname give is silly. You wouldn't call your faves "50 million sellers" as a nickname. Not even if they aspire to be 50 million sellers.

He isn't even the most popular member of his group, let alone the most popular 4th gen male idol. It's mediaplay, simple as that. But pretending to be something they are not is a recurring pattern in TXT's marketing.

• Yeah that's even more cringe cause he is basically a nugu outside txt fandom

• idk why hype is doing that tbh like what's the point ? the whole it boy/girl title is given to people from gp so for a company to insist to call their idol as an it boy is kinda weird

also i'm not familiar with hype behaving this way, i thought they don't want to make any individual promo (idk if we can call this as a promo but i hope you understand my point) for their idols but guess this tactic is only used with bts i guess

• idk why hype is doing that tbh like what's the point ? the whole it boy/girl title is given to people from gp so for a company to insist to call their idol as an it boy is kinda weird

also i'm not familiar with hype behaving this way, i thought they don't want to make any individual promo (idk if we can call this as a promo but i hope you understand my point) for their idols but guess this tactic is only used with bts i guess

Hybe not doing any individual promo is not a whole company thing. Even till 2016 BTS did do some individual promo. But now it's BTS members decision to focus on the group and not promote individually. It has nothing to do with TXT.

• Dude is most definitely not an IT boy as one simply does not exist for 4th gen yet.

• a moa here, mediaplay is pretty apparent and soobin is just as worthy if not less for future 'it guy' title tbh. It started out as a nickname between moas and yj (and yes, he is talented enough to have that) but bighit started pushing it especially around release of freeze

Yeah it's kinda awkward when he's a complete nugu but MOA trying to convince everyone TXT are aces when not a single member is even a decent singer is worse

Stop trying to push this dude, I get that you are pressed about everything txt does but this is irrelevant of what is supposed to be discussed here. Keep your baseless bashing in uko of anons.

• Hybe not doing any individual promo is not a whole company thing. Even till 2016 BTS did do some individual promo. But now it's BTS members decision to focus on the group and not promote individually. It has nothing to do with TXT.

i don't believe that tbh, and maybe that's true and the members don't wanna debut as solo artists but hype take it to the extreme level, hype fear the individuality of bts members especially the maknae line, like for example all of the maknae line are more recognisable and famous and known to gp than yeonjun yet hype doesn't wanna acknowledge any of that the same way they do for yeonjun

i know that they did some individual promo until 2016 but after the success of bs&t and the success of the ot7 or nothing agenda i thought they wanted to stick to this method with all their groups, especially since there are no position in txt but i guess i was wrong

• i don't believe that tbh, and maybe that's true and the members don't wanna debut as solo artists but hype take it to the extreme level, hype fear the individuality of bts members especially the maknae line, like for example all of the maknae line are more recognisable and famous and known to gp than yeonjun yet hype doesn't wanna acknowledge any of that the same way they do for yeonjun

i know that they did some individual promo until 2016 but after the success of bs&t and the success of the ot7 or nothing agenda i thought they wanted to stick to this method with all their groups,p especially since there are no position in txt but i guess i was wrong

Stop infantilizing the bts members. No the company is not scared of the Maknae Line ffs.

All of BTS are more recognizable to the gp than yeonjun.

When all bts members have spoken on it then it's clear that it's their decision. What promo will they do if they are not debuting as solo artists anyway. Magazine shoots? I'm sure members are dying to go on magazines. That's the one thing missing from their careers.

• They really want to push this guy down everyone’s throat. He gets the most solo promotions among the members and always being put under the spotlight by the company. Sadly people know soobin more than him

• Stop infantilizing the bts members. No the company is not scared of the Maknae Line ffs.

All of BTS are more recognizable to the gp than yeonjun.

When all bts members have spoken on it then it's clear that it's their decision. What promo will they do if they are not debuting as solo artists anyway. Magazine shoots? I'm sure members are dying to go on magazines. That's the one thing missing from their careers.

who are infantilizing anyone !!! if i say that their company isn't giving them the best promo then i'm infantilizing them ? yes sure cuz i forget most army see bts and hype as a big family lol

anyways who told you they don't want to do magazine shoots ? what makes you so sure about that ? or collabs for example under their name like the rap line not under bts name ? or even personal Instagram accounts ? but yes it's easier to convince ourselves that the members don't want to instead of maybe thinking that hype doesn't allow them because again the family agenda

• who are infantilizing anyone !!! if i say that their company isn't giving them the best promo then i'm infantilizing them ? yes sure cuz i forget most army see bts and hype as a big family lol

anyways who told you they don't want to do magazine shoots ? what makes you so sure about that ? or collabs for example under their name like the rap line not under bts name ? or even personal Instagram accounts ? but yes it's easier to convince ourselves that the members don't want to instead of maybe thinking that hype doesn't allow them because again the family agenda

Solos will make anything about themselves. Even in a thread about txt and bh.

The collabs that rl do under their own name are similar to the mixtapes. Completely driven by them. Just like sweet night by V.

All BTS members are interested in music, magazine shoots will do nothing for their careers. Nothing. They've never expressed any interest in such.

Even the individual insta accounts. They barely post on their twt, and they are shooting content for so much of the time.

I don't care one bit for the hybe family agenda but stop taking agency away from the members. BTS are too big rn for them to be controlled on these trivial things that do not matter at all.

They've never expressed interest in any of these activities. I should be the one asking you why do you think they want to do all these things?

Hybe could do a lot better with the promo rollout for BTS there's no denying that. But these last two years the members have made it clear themselves. They are focusing on the group.

• As an outsider, I did not noticed that BH is pushing Yeonjun as an IT boy. So either the OP is looking too much into this or BH has to push harder because it ain’t noticeable boo

• moa here, its not that deep. op seems too obsessed, maybe take a break from kpop? its just a cute title

• honestly i dont think we have 4th gen IT boy yet..

For 4th gen IT girl we have some candidates but for boy? I dont think so..maybe later who knows

• this is very cringe, and BH or Hybe really embarassing, like they literally put #4thgen_IT_BOY when they post sonething about Yeonjun,

Like.. why BH mediaplay this Yj so much?

Or BH insecure that "4th gen IT boy" will get stolen by other groups. So they claim it first?

• this is very cringe, and BH or Hybe really embarassing, like they literally put #4thgen_IT_BOY when they post sonething about Yeonjun,

Like.. why BH mediaplay this Yj so much?

Or BH insecure that "4th gen IT boy" will get stolen by other groups. So they claim it first?

probably both

• He so damn ugly and untalented. BH is so cringe using that label on him when he isn’t even most popular in Korea or 4th gen bgs.

• As an outsider, I did not noticed that BH is pushing Yeonjun as an IT boy. So either the OP is looking too much into this or BH has to push harder because it ain’t noticeable boo

Several Weverse articles are calling him this. Nothing about BTS solo achievements ever is posted. That boy is a laughing stock on army tw.

• its fucking cringe to see videos of him saying he’s the 4th gen it boy? When he doesnt even show up high on google trends and does not have views on fancams. he’s delusional at most.

• idk why he’s being pushed hard when he’s the member who has the least appeal and star factor.

• i think he’s being pushed cos Hybe has given up on txt. I mean I would to especially when other 4th groups are surpassing them. Whats weird with hybe tho is that they think Yeonjun gona go somewhere when He’s just a typical forgettable wannabe idol who looks like a fusion of Kai Yuta and Taemin. meaning he’s part of the shaved jaws line

• Several Weverse articles are calling him this. Nothing about BTS solo achievements ever is posted. That boy is a laughing stock on army tw.

yeah, I saw that weverse articles,
    also when they are updating YJ stuff, they will put that it boy hashtag

and he also got his own bday merch? really?
    any other TXT members got their own bday merch?

• Several Weverse articles are calling him this. Nothing about BTS solo achievements ever is posted. That boy is a laughing stock on army tw.

Not on army tw. Say the place solos live in.

• why everyone replying to this thread has such weird names :eyes::eyes::melon_think:

• This is just a bashing thread rn, I don't know why mods are allowing all this.

• yeah, I saw that weverse articles,
    also when they are updating YJ stuff, they will put that it boy hashtag

and he also got his own bday merch? really?
    any other TXT members got their own bday merch?

wait.. is this legit? since when birthday merch is a thing?

I know hybe is merch factory now but this is extreme smh

• BH is learning from SM how to set up their own idols :pepe-hehe:

• i think he’s being pushed cos Hybe has given up on txt. I mean I would to especially when other 4th groups are surpassing them. Whats weird with hybe tho is that they think Yeonjun gona go somewhere when He’s just a typical forgettable wannabe idol who looks like a fusion of Kai Yuta and Taemin. meaning he’s part of the shaved jaws line

nah hybe definitely hasn't given up on txt they're being pushed very hard

I agree he wouldn't really stand out in any other group, nor is he as much of an ace as moas hype him up to be, but the way you phrased it is straight up bashing

• Yeah I've felt a lot from MOA they a freaking deluded about their faves...like I can get with this media play Hybe/BH is causing those delusions with abundant media play. Like no one knows who TXT are as a group so of course Soobin or Yenjun...heck most Kpop fans don't know who the fuck these 'it boys' are.

The closest thing to a relevant male idol 4th gen has is Hyunjin and he's only known for one thing lol.

• wait.. is this legit? since when birthday merch is a thing?

I know hybe is merch factory now but this is extreme smh

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• it's sad that this thread is made in anon .

Txt is like the one group armys are afraid to say the truth about.

BH is embarassing using BTS's money to mediaplay them with obvious lies . It boy? Hahaha . Skz is a winning the 4th gen race and it's deserved . They are more passionate and talented .

Glad more armys seem to finally be opening their eyes .

i was surprised to see it in that thread today and regularly on twitter.

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!