Why didn't YG let CL promote in the US?

• Its nice that CL has finally been out of the YG dungeon for a few years now and I've been loving her music since. But I'm curious, why didn't he let her promote in the U.S? He let her sign with Scooter Braun, same guy that manages Justin Bieber and Adriana Grande, but according to him YG was always the one in the way of CL's plans in the states. Why was this the case? Why would he have purposely sabotaged CL here when the label could've profited from it. It doesn't make sense to me but there had to have been some viable reason for Papa YG.

Anyways stream SPICY

• Yeah it was something that was talked about years ago. Its weird because kpop wasn't anywhere as relevant as it is now, and we see how difficult it was for BTS to actually feel recognized as US artist/industry players rn so who knows what difficulties CL would have faced. Knowing what we know now, maybe that was the right choice. But who knows, soloist or more accepted in the US and BTS has BG stigma/fangirl fandom prejudice (all problems i don't think CL would have dealt with).

• I don't know. What I have noticed is soloist-caliber artists in K-Pop who have the greatest chance of upping the status quo are usually stalled for a number of years.

• Because her solo's in the west did BAD. They were not successful at all. Plus, YG had already given up on her after her first solo (to promote in the west) flopped, so they decided that they would not give her any more solos, it would be a waste of money, they thought she would instantly hit it big in the U.S but she did not. There's no use in promoting in the U.S if your not getting your profit back. It wasn't until BTS hit it big that companies started to take promoting in the U.S more seriously, YG gave CL bad music then expected her to have a hit, they didn't even try with her solo work.

• That's actually not correct. That's how she got connected with the Late Late Show with James Corden. She was promoting her all-English song 'Lifted' under YG.

She also did a solo tour under YG of clubs and theaters in the US which was a pretty incredible show.

She did a small tour with Diplo while at YG.

She did another all-English song with Diplo, 'Dr. Pepper.'

She went to the VMAs with Jeremy Scott. And released another all-English song 'Hello Bitches.'

She made it clear to YG she wanted to make it as a soloist in the US and YG gave her the resources to do it even connecting her with Scooter. She also moved to the US and lived there during this time.

It didn't work out unfortunately. There hasn't been a Kpop soloist that has the pull to go on a solo arena tour in the US besides GD. But BIGBANG was the first group to do 2 sold out arena tours in the US so that helps.

Anyway I see she's promoting on Korean music shows again and releasing Korean music. Just wish she had the same enthusiasm to do Kpop while at YG, but she pushed to have her American dreams pursued.

She's incredibly talented and charismatic on stage, Kpop is better with her.

Here's James Corden

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

YG actually promoted 2NE1 on MTV in the US before BIGBANG.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

YG Family

1080x360

*Disclaimer I don't read responses to my posts unless I've replied to you before. If that offends you BLOCK ME. It's not my job to police your feelings.

Edited once, last by Blue2012 ().

• But isn't it fishy how she had a bunch of unreleased music, for example:

• All the songs in her "In the Name of Love" EP that she was only able to put out after leaving YG
    • "All In" that even had a music video for it
    • Her original feature Justin Bieber's "Let Me Love You"
    • Scooter Braun AND CL herself hinting multiple times that YG is the reason for her lack of music

I know she's released some stuff, but I want to know why all of that never came to fruition even though it wouldn't have hurt to just put it out whether it'd flop or not imo. That'd be waaay better than not releasing anything at all which has been her case for years.

Because her solo's in the west did BAD. They were not successful at all. Plus, YG had already given up on her after her first solo (to promote in the west) flopped, so they decided that they would not give her any more solos, it would be a waste of money, they thought she would instantly hit it big in the U.S but she did not. There's no use in promoting in the U.S if your not getting your profit back. It wasn't until BTS hit it big that companies started to take promoting in the U.S more seriously, YG gave CL bad music then expected her to have a hit, they didn't even try with her solo work.

But he could've at least let her release music for free like on Spotify with 0 funding on his end. She already spent all the time and effort making the music and in some cases videos just for him to not let her release it. It doesn't make sense, not letting her release it at all periodt is just a more guaranteed way to waste the time and money put into producing it in the first place. The music might have a 90% chance of flopping, but if it's never even out it's a 100% flop.

• But isn't it fishy how she had a bunch of unreleased music, for example:

• All the songs in her "In the Name of Love" EP that she was only able to put out after leaving YG
    • "All In" that even had a music video for it
    • Her original feature Justin Bieber's "Let Me Love You"
    • Scooter Braun AND CL herself hinting multiple times that YG is the reason for her lack of music

I know she's released some stuff, but I want to know why all of that never came to fruition even though it wouldn't have hurt to just put it out whether it'd flop or not imo. That'd be waaay better than not releasing anything at all which has been her case for years.

But he could've at least let her release music for free like on Spotify with 0 funding on his end. She already spent all the time and effort making the music and in some cases videos just for him to not let her release it. It doesn't make sense, not letting her release it at all periodt is just a more guaranteed way to waste the time and money put into producing it in the first place. The music might have a 90% chance of flopping, but if it's never even out it's a 100% flop.

YG won't let his female idols release songs unless they're guaranteed to be hit songs. And the songs CL did while she was in the US, are just bad. They sound extremely amateurish. CL was very promising during her 2NE1 days, but her obsession with making it big in the US killed all hype she had. Should have concentrated on Korea first imo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!