Is it time to legalize marrying multiple spouses ?

• In most western countries it’s prohibited, but do you think it’s time to legalize multiple spouses marriages?

And No! I don’t mean solely one man with several women. But relationship constellations in all ways you could imagine lol. (only consenting Adults)

Edited 2 times, last by SandyBee3 ().

• As long as it's a willing relationship I say go for it. Honestly doesn't affect me or my way of living so who am I dictate how people want to live their lives?

Of course the divorce process may be trickier or social security after a divorce but overall I am very pro-choice so if people choose to marry more than 1 spouse, if all parties are willing and healthy in mind to do so, then go ahead!

I have to emphasize willing and healthy in mind because of cults and stuff sadly.

~ ω

• That's what polygamous means. Relationships with one woman and more than one man are called polyandrous.

I know it to be the opposite of monogamy and I think many people use the term polygamy in relation to all relationships where several people are dating each other or got married to each other no matter the gender.

It’s the most known term.

But I think you know what I mean.

• As long as it's a willing relationship I say go for it. Honestly doesn't affect me or my way of living so who am I dictate how people want to live their lives?

Of course the divorce process may be trickier or social security after a divorce but overall I am very pro-choice so if people choose to marry more than 1 spouse, if all parties are willing and healthy in mind to do so, then go ahead!

I have to emphasize willing and healthy in mind because of cults and stuff sadly.

Definitely excluding cults and other shady stuff.

But I think it’s quite interesting how people view these things. Like nobody has a problem with one person having multiple partners after the other, but having multiple partners at the same time while they all know of each other is still seen a big taboo.

Even though i wouldn’t want to be in a relationship like this, I don’t see how grown up adults deciding to be in a relationship is such a problem to some.

• No relationship like that are bound to go south you can't expect to involve multiple people in the same relationship and you don't expect for things to take a bad turn

That’s one reason I wouldn’t want to be in one. Someone will end up feeling like not getting enough of attention.

The only reason I would keep it illegal would be the skyrocketing amount of divorces we might get lol.

• Definitely excluding cults and other shady stuff.

But I think it’s quite interesting how people view these things. Like nobody has a problem with one person having multiple partners after the other, but having multiple partners at the same time while they all know of each other is still seen a big taboo.

Even though i wouldn’t want to be in a relationship like this, I don’t see how grown up adults deciding to be in a relationship is such a problem to some.

Exactly! Like I personally would not go for it, but I do have a co-worker that's been in a polyamorous/polygamy lifestyle for about 5 years now. Their relationship is theirs alone to decide so who am I to say they can't exercise their right to make it legally binding!

~ ω

• I know it to be the opposite of monogamy and I think many people use the term polygamy in relation to all relationships where several people are dating each other or got married to each other no matter the gender.

The technical term for one man-multiple women is polygyny, but it is seldom used.

Polygamy - 99.999% of the time one man/multiple women - is historically a result of many young men getting killed off in wars. As a woman in such an imbalanced society, using China as an example, becoming the fourth concubine of the Prime Minister's third son was a far better economic outcome for her and her future children than marrying the local shopkeeper who could not help her family gain any power.

Nothing has changed today, except that the state does not officially sanction concubinage or other forms of polygamy. Though there is no shortage of young men now, a worthless man like Hunter Biden has no problem finding dozens of "concubines" willing to orbit him due to his perceived power and influence. Human nature doesn't change.

I don't think legalizing polygamy will happen if the state doesn't see a way to gain more tax revenues from it. Right now, it would probably take working women out of the employment market - and cost the state money.

Either way, polygamous relationships are financial in nature, and have little to do with love.

• :pepewhat:

I think you’re going a little bit to deep.

I think I might change my title.

• SandyBee3

Changed the title of the thread from “Is it time to legalize polygamous marriages ?” to “Is it time to legalize marrying multiple spouses ?”.
  • No, and not because I strongly believe in monogamy.

A marriage is a legal contract that grants its participants legal benefits. In the United States, this includes things like:

-- the opportunity to file taxes jointly and get a larger standard deduction

-- the ability to freely transfer assets, at any time free of tax, from yourself to your spouse

-- if you don't qualify for Social Security, but your spouse does, you can receive the benefit from your spouse

-- your deceased spouse's IRA can roll over into your own

These are just some off the top of my head. I'm sure you can google and find more. There is an enormous financial and legal benefit to being married that it doesn't make sense to extend that beyond two people. You'd have to think about the wider downstream impacts, as well as what you are incentivizing (i.e. does it get to a point that it's better to be married for these benefits than to be single?).

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• no. I think having multiple partners is nasty imo. It's usually men with 10 wives having kids. It's weird and I can't understand why you need 10 wives. It will make your kids confused on their moms/dads. Like okay, I get if your into that kind of stuff but I just don't get it....

Not into it… just wanted to know what akp users think of it…

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!