There is a false narrative that American celebs don’t get cancelled while their kpop counter parts do

• This is very wrong. In fact I would say they are cancelled questioned ridiculed far more than kpop idols.

The difference lies in the industry itself and fan sentiments towards idols.

Kpop fans and their companies WANT their idols to be perfect and no this is not a Korean only thing even ifans feed into this. They want perfection from their idols. Perfection is at the very core of being an idol.

In a way it’s comparable to Disney Channel stars. And Disney stars while at disney are expected to behave and maintain an image similar to that of idols. And if you do questionable things disney won’t like it.

American celebs are questioned and cancelled all the time. (Hello tumblr and TikTok) It’s just the industry does not care. If a rock star was in a bullying attitude scandal that would have even staged because people love that image for rock stars. It’s the glamour sex drugs and rock and roll. Or whatever.

Kanye West can scream make America great again from the top of his lungs and he will still have fans. Even as people make a billion tiktoks ridiculing him. It even adds to his notoriety.

American artists fundamentally subscribe to the idea of all publicity is good publicity. This is vastly different from idols.

Koreans themselves love Chris brown if Chris brown was korean the dude would have had his ass whooped by knetz and cancelled.

Yesterday I was actually on Twitter and I saw EXO was like #2 on brand reputation and I like randomly asked if it was about Kris and like fifty ppl quoted me and asked to delete myself like I was anti. Me OF ALL PPL AN EXO ANTI. I have no problems associating exo with Kris. But the extent to which exol have gone to ‘protect’ and ‘clear’ exo’s name from this ‘scandal’ is insane. That’s how obsessed Kpop fans are about their idol’s image.

TLDR : Kpop idols get easily cancelled because perfection is what the INDUSTRY and THEIR FANS demand of them. It’s not because American or other industry celebs get a free pass.

• It's true. It's a combination of "all publicity is good publicity" and our willingness to give second chances.

Morgan Wallen got caught using the N word and lost a couple of appearances and people were saying he was done and completely over because of it. Now he's back with a new album! And using the incident to promote that album! What a shock!

It's not just Chris Brown. They love Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr too, but a Korean actor would never be given a second chance if he went to prison for drugs.

• It's true. It's a combination of "all publicity is good publicity" and our willingness to give second chances.

Morgan Wallen got caught using the N word and lost a couple of appearances and people were saying he was done and completely over because of it. Now he's back with a new album! And using the incident to promote that album! What a shock!

It's not just Chris Brown. They love Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr too, but a Korean actor would never be given a second chance if he went to prison for drugs.

omg YES about RDJ. Korea is a huge market for Marvel and Disney and damn straight he would not have lasted a second if he was Korean.

Wait for DaBaby to come back in a year

• Also American celebs get cancelled for their political opinions ALL THE TIME. When Taylor swift openly campaigned for the Left the amount of backlash she received from the right dominant south where she has her roots was INSANE.

Ofc the opposite stories of Republican celebs getting cancelled is far more prevalent. Cuz ofc the media is leftist.

But anyway absolutely American celebs get called out for their political opinions.

• Also American celebs get cancelled for their political opinions ALL THE TIME. When Taylor swift openly campaigned for the Left the amount of backlash she received from the right dominant south where she has her roots was INSANE.

Ofc the opposite stories of Republican celebs getting cancelled is far more prevalent. Cuz ofc the media is leftist.

But anyway absolutely American celebs get called out for their political opinions.

omg all the shit she got for NOT being open about her political views too. Like I get that she has a platform™ but it was just so overly aggressive.

i'm sorry for answering this on an anon. i don't wanna be cancelled by the whole forum for saying this.

but the reason could be that most americans look like bullies anyways. they are always full of themselves and never respectful. if nobodies are acting this way, i would not expect much from a celebrity. this is probably why knetz don't hold higher standards for western celebrities. with an addition of language and cultural barrier it's hard to understand what's going on with these controversies. we just see them as drama queens and leave.

Kekekekeke why would you get canceled by the whole forum.

Anyway your second part is very condescending. Most of the world is actually fully capable of understanding what’s happening. You don’t need PHD level English skills to know RDJ did drugs and Chris Brown is a domestic abuser. Lol.

Also koreans and East Asians who openly comment on skin color and weight are not bullies? Lol anyway not that I want to defend America in anyway but what I’ve observed from kboos and weebs is they like putting Korea and Japan on some pedestal of perfection.

I assure you Americans are not special in their stupidity. They are just more visible on social media for it.

• in America people get cancelled because there idiots. Like American actors are getting dragged for not freaking showering whilst kpop idols are getting into bullying scandals left and right. I tune out policitcs because I honestly hate it but some far right people say the most stupidest shit on twitter so I think it's okay for them to get dragged everyday. If I'm not mistaken Billie eillish got cancelled cuz her boyfriend is a trump supporter and a racist, and a weirdo. But yeah the other thing about her queer baiting was a huge thing. The real problem that should be talked about is billies terrible new music she's putting out. What happened to ocean eyes?

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• This....is an actual name?

Yes, it is. Let me help you.

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• How did you escape levitating I thought that song will literally never go away kekekek

I mean I know the song I think? I never really listened to English songs that much now because the last time I listened to it it's full of those mumble rap bullcrap money sex drug money money titties on my ass nonsense.

Now that I think about it is he the one that said some aids thing or something in some concert

• I mean I know the song I think? I never really listened to English songs that much now because the last time I listened to it it's full of those mumble rap bullcrap money sex drug money money titties on my ass nonsense.

Now that I think about it is he the one that said some aids thing or something in some concert

yes and all could have been avoided if he had shut up or said something else

• Spot on, Tic. There's also a narrative in American pop culture that celebrities get into "scandals" to try and change their brand/narrative. So when Disney kids or teen stars grow up, they get into "scandals" to change to an adult image. Scandals help bridge the gap between "Victorious" and "Positions" for an artist.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Spot on, Tic. There's also a narrative in American pop culture that celebrities get into "scandals" to try and change their brand/narrative. So when Disney kids or teen stars grow up, they get into "scandals" to change to an adult image. Scandals help bridge the gap between "Victorious" and "Positions" for an artist.

Absolutely.

Having a scandal actively allowed them to break away from the Disney child star image.

Anyway people keep using American celebs as an example on this forum and I’m always like????? If kpop celebs could be insulted and ridiculed like western stars it would be pandemonium. Kek.

• Absolutely.

Having a scandal actively allowed them to break away from the Disney child star image.

Anyway people keep using American celebs as an example on this forum and I’m always like????? If kpop celebs could be insulted and ridiculed like western stars it would be pandemonium. Kek.

Right? The endless talk show spoofs. Getting called out for not having an opinion on XY or Z, then getting called out for having this opinion or that opinion. And yet, they can still keep on trucking because America LOVES an underdog/comeback kid story.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• i honestly think western artists only will be 100% cancelled for being rapist or pedophile. Other than that, i barely see any artists being cancelled despite drug, domestic violence, cheating or even bullying etc

• They don’t get a free pass yet you mention Chris Brown?

Justin Bieber

Every rapper

Too busy to mention more but they have free passes. They might take heat but they never get cancelled for the stuff koreans do.

• While at Disney many of the stars got caught ding drugs, DWI, nudes leak and they still kept working and some went on to be even more famous. So another false equivalent.

The reality of it is is that in korean entertainment you don’t often times get a “second chance” and you can get in “scandals” over the most mundane things.

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!